Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Basically I'm currently studying film and I'm really unhappy with it, I have been accepted to study music business at college which is my true passion and I'm really excited.

There's no loose ends to tie up, my university is aware I'm going to leave, financially I'm sorted, so the only thing I have to do is tell my parents.

Generally they are nice people, however are very quick to judge and get angry if they don't agree with my decisions. I'm sure they must sort of know that I'm not happy on my course as I've been going home a lot and skipping classes - which they're aware of, and they keep asking if it still makes me happy (so I lie and say yeah, but nothing else).

What should I say? How should I say it? Thanks..

If I was you I'd just go straight in and tell them the truth. It's not as though you're dropping out and moving back home with no job and no intention of going baack to uni. As you've already said there's no loose ends to tie up and you've already been accepted into a college that will make you happy. When I first moved to uni I realised pretty much straight away that I had made the wrong decision and I was dreading making the phone call to my mum telling her I was dropping out and wanted her to come and pick me up. Turns out she really didn't mind that much and she was actually more supportive than I expected. I told her that I was taking a gap year and had already been offered a place at a different uni the following year and she was really happy as she knew I wouldn't be back home forever and I actually had the motivation to start again. I think sometimes with parents it's hard for them to remeber that they're not actually the ones going through uni and having to go in everyday to sit in lectures that they hate. Just be truthful with them, let them know that you have everything sorted and make it clear that you will be going somewhere that you know you'll be happy. After all, your happiness comes before anything else. Good luck!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.