Turn on thread page Beta

The disappointing number of race-related threads. Why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    TSR is totally obsessed with race. Why? It is littered with stupid statements like, "I don't feel sexually attracted to other races." What does that even mean? A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scanner would show these people's brains lit up like a Christmas Tree when in the presence of an even moderately attractive person from the "race" they claim repulses them, despite protestations to the contrary. I fear it is the undercurrent of this country's dirty little secret. Instead of more daft threads, which should really be banned, why don't you just get therapy?

P.S. Enough with the race-inferiority complex threads as well. You lot defo need a shrink, alongside a good dollop of self-respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    umm no sweetiepoo. your lack of understanding for sexual preferences is a big no-no; it's comparable to saying that gay people lie about not liking those from the opposite sex. as for your other comments, I don't really find myself attracted to black girls at all. this does NOT mean that I am repulsed by them or value them less than others. It is a lack of chemical, physical interest and nothing more. try thinking what you say through more instead of being a reactionary dairy-whip-ass-boog-air-melt-cunn next time.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by sund1ata)
    TSR is totally obsessed with race. Why?
    It's always been like that. Not to mention the height threads too, can't forget about those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladoni_Potnyye)
    umm no sweetiepoo. your lack of understanding for sexual preferences is a big no-no; it's comparable to saying that gay people lie about not liking those from the opposite sex. as for your other comments, I don't really find myself attracted to black girls at all. this does NOT mean that I am repulsed by them or value them less than others. It is a lack of chemical, physical interest and nothing more. try thinking what you say through more instead of being a reactionary dairy-whip-ass-boog-air-melt-cunn next time.
    So, it's you I am talking about. Thanks for identifying yourself. You are the problem. Firstly, thanks for separating yourself from Black women, who don't want interest from such problematic people. Second, "race" is not a sexual preference. Chemical? Please stop with the pseudo-scientific garbage, boo-boo. This is what I meant by "low IQ".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    uh, yes it is. it factors into my chemical attraction to someone else; ergo it is a sexual preference you lib-arts degree ponce wackjob.

also i don't seperate myself from black women, you dip. never said that.

ReputationRep:
    Chemical? Are you some kind of failed biology undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it's vernacular for talking about what gives people boners, you degenerate. got any actual points?
    Yep. Since there is more genetic variation between two African peoples than all of other humankind combined, just how badly did you fail science?

Extra points: "...as two short planks": guess the missing word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'more' genetic variation? looks like someone got a hold of a buzzfeed fact! time for you to make me look like an idiot: how in the fawkes is that relevant?

*another edit
    this is a trap. this is a big goddamn trap i'm setting up for you and you are going to fall into it if you don't start thinking for yourself. don't fall into the trap.

ReputationRep:
    I concur with the OP. Sexual preference and sexuality are not akin. Your analogy is asinine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoniC255)
    I concur with the OP. Sexual preference and sexuality are not akin. Your analogy is asinine.
    akin and comparable are two completely different, if seemingly interchangable words. one means similar in some areas that are relevant, the other means completely interchangeable. the reason why they are C O M P A R A B L E is because they both cannot be changed once set (sexuality from birth and sexual preference/compatibility from sexual imprinting throughout sexual awakening in preadolescence and beyond to adolescence(we aren't exactly sure yet)). for a suitable comparison, make me like tomatoes or red fish or white wine. you can't. it's set in stone and i will never like the way they taste because of the way i developed and grew.

ReputationRep:
    There's a number of reasons:

-Trolls (Fasih123 for example)
    -Insensitive people
    -People with a distorted view that their race is superior to other races.

I said this in another post, but I don't see being not attracted to a particular race as racist unless you associate the race with something.
    If the Colour of someone's skin pre-determines whether you'll go out with them or not then it does make you shallow.

e.g.
    I don't like "Insert Race". I would be good friends with "Insert race", however I don't see that friendship going beyond attraction.
    as opposed to
    I don't like "Insert Race", because they're all...........................(That's racist)

ReputationRep:
    This should be fun to follow :rolleyes:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    please no bannerino mister community moderator

it's vernacular for talking about what gives people boners, you degenerate. got any actual points?

*edit
    i thought you 'progressive' types were in tune with this, but lemme sit yo ayuss daoowwnnn and tell you this:
    sexuality is complicated and sometimes it doesn't make sense to anyone other than yourself; you can't reasonably tell me that i am not attracted to girls who look like they are mainly of african descent because i'm a wannabe plantation owner who wants to whip them dirty n*****s without making a complete ass out of yourself because YOU ARE NOT ME and you do not understand how LOW LEVEL my innate sexual preferences are and how LITTLE (not at all) they are a result of my beliefs or prejudices.
    Erm Don't think you should be saying n*****s, don't think it was an appropriate or necessary to explain that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    There's a number of reasons:

I said this in another post, but I don't see being not attracted to a particular race
    It's not possible to be "not attracted to another race". In the biological sense, there is no scientific basis for it - only social. One may decide not to date [x] for whatever reason, but if this person then says, "I do not find [all of one billion people of this race] attractive," they are either a liar, a fool or some combination therein.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sund1ata)
    It's not possible to be "not attracted to another race". In the biological sense, there is no scientific basis for it - only social. One may decide not to date [x] for whatever reason, but if this person then says, "I do not find [all of one billion people of this race] attractive," they are either a liar, a fool or some combination therein.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    social aspects of humanity can absolutely be interpreted through a scientific lense; that's why we have people researching racism. i'm going to guess you meant genetic instead of scientific, you meant genetic, right? human biology includes the development of the brain and not just how you would be with zero stimulus throughout your entire life.

you meant genetic, right?

THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF THE TRAP

ReputationRep:
    akin and comparable are two completely different, if seemingly interchangable words. one means similar in some areas that are relevant, the other means completely interchangeable. the reason why they are C O M P A R A B L E is because they both cannot be changed once set (sexuality from birth and sexual preference/compatibility from sexual imprinting throughout sexual awakening in preadolescence and beyond to adolescence(we aren't exactly sure yet))
    I don't think you quite understand what I meant. You implied your lack of attraction towards Black women (racial/sexual preference) is AKIN to a sexuality - namely homosexuality. And no, COMPARABLE does not mean ''completely interchangeable''. It's a synonym for AKIN. I'd advise you to do a little research

Sexual preference and sexuality are not AKIN. Preference implies a predilection/propensity for a thing, but can be subject to change. Sexuality is not a preference. It cannot change.

For example, when I was younger, I had a preference for Black boys (and actually made very ignorant comments about White boys), but now I'm solely attracted to White boys. My racial/sexual preference changed.
    I'm Heterosexual - that will never change.
    Do you understand my point now?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you quite understand what I meant. You implied your lack of attraction towards Black women (racial/sexual preference) is AKIN to a sexuality - namely homosexuality. And no, COMPARABLE does not mean ''completely interchangeable''. It's a synonym for AKIN. I'd advise you to do a little research

Sexual preference and sexuality are not AKIN. Preference implies a predilection/propensity for a thing, but can be subject to change. Sexuality is not a preference. It cannot change.

For example, when I was younger, I had a preference for Black boys (and actually made very ignorant comments about White boys), but now I'm solely attracted to White boys. My racial/sexual preference changed.
    'when i was younger'
    there's the rub! your preferences changed throughout your adolescence as your brain developed! this actually gives me an opportunity to backpedal; your preferences are what they are at the moment, their setting point is irrelevant to this discussion. and as it is still a point of contention, i would like to remove it from the argument because we aren't sure of it. what matters is that your tastes are what they are.

also this is the merriam-webster definition for comparable, in screencap form
    https://puu.sh/zGlLN/873a900d76.png

https://puu.sh/zGlSI/84c74e3c00.png
    this is the one for akin

notice how one says that the subjects are suitable for comparison, whilst the other says that they are essentially interchangeable and thus identical.

whoopsie-daisy.

*edit
    sorry, meant essentially similar which pretty much means similar in everything that matters and in effect makes them interchangeable in most cases. apologies for any confusion.

*'nother edit
    to question your main argument - would settling on being gay when you thought you were straight throughout your development or vice-versa prove that being gay is a choice?

ReputationRep:
    Okaayyy... that's honestly a bit creepy, though - the racial attraction-switching. What on earth precipitates such a thing? It's not like food: "I used to eat meat, but now I am a militant vegan." Care to tell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'when i was younger'
    there's the rub! your preferences changed throughout your adolescence as your brain developed! this actually gives me an opportunity to backpedal; your preferences are what they are at the moment, their setting point is irrelevant to this discussion. and as it is still a point of contention, i would like to remove it from the argument because we aren't sure of it. what matters is that your tastes are what they are.

also this is the merriam-webster definition for comparable, in screencap form
    https://puu.sh/zGlLN/873a900d76.png

https://puu.sh/zGlSI/84c74e3c00.png
    this is the one for akin

notice how one says that the subjects are suitable for comparison, whilst the other says that they are essentially interchangeable and thus identical.

whoopsie-daisy.

*edit
    sorry, meant essentially similar which pretty much means similar in everything that matters. apologies for any confusion.
    ''Suitable for comparison'' still has implications of said subject(s) showing some form of likeness. Thus, if they are ''suitable for comparison'', there must be some parallels, and can therefore be rendered akin to one another.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.