Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really need some advice on deciding on which degree. I applied for zoology and Biology. I originally planned on zoology, because of my background with owning a variety of animals ( horses, sheep cows dogs etc) and I enjoy Biology. But I am also just as interested in doing the biology degree. I’m just worried I won’t be good enough for it and not as smart as school leavers ( I’m on an access course, been out of school 12 years!) I have left a well paid job ( I was miserable at however) to do this so I want the decision to be right. I’ve never been someone who’s always known from day one what I want which makes it harder and I am aware nobody can tell me what to do as it’s my choice in the end but I just need some advice. Do I go for the zoology at one uni and can potentially change to biology after first year , or go to the other uni and go straight for biology? I’m a bit worried I will feel like I don’t know anything compared to others. But with zoology I feel like I may be more at home because of animal based topics? Any advice ?? Thanks for reading this far ....
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ridinghigh95)
    I really need some advice on deciding on which degree. I applied for zoology and Biology. I originally planned on zoology, because of my background with owning a variety of animals ( horses, sheep cows dogs etc) and I enjoy Biology. But I am also just as interested in doing the biology degree. I’m just worried I won’t be good enough for it and not as smart as school leavers ( I’m on an access course, been out of school 12 years!) I have left a well paid job ( I was miserable at however) to do this so I want the decision to be right. I’ve never been someone who’s always known from day one what I want which makes it harder and I am aware nobody can tell me what to do as it’s my choice in the end but I just need some advice. Do I go for the zoology at one uni and can potentially change to biology after first year , or go to the other uni and go straight for biology? I’m a bit worried I will feel like I don’t know anything compared to others. But with zoology I feel like I may be more at home because of animal based topics? Any advice ?? Thanks for reading this far ....
    You really have to pick the more interesting course for you. Have you checked with the uni that you can swap from zoology to biology? Biology is broader so you cab explore your interests. You still have to have an academic interest in zoology and just owning animals is not enough. Most of the UK owns animals!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridinghigh95)
    I'd say that in practice, there is not much difference between Zoology and Biology BSc degrees. Your first year is unlikely to be massively different whichever you choose - although Zoology may not include some plant material, both will include biochemistry, physiology, ecology, evolution, and genetics. Later on, in both subjects, you will be able to choose options in years 2 and 3 so as to focus on the topics you are most interested in.

So do look at different college prospectuses and see how the individual courses are structured regarding options etc, but don't stress too much about it. Bear in mind, though, like alleycat393 says, these are academic courses. Be clear that you're interested in the academic side - otherwise a more vocational degree in animal husbandry or something similar might be a better fit?

Try not to fret about not being smart enough. Returning to full time education will be a shock, so you should seek out your tutors and support services from the start. But you have the advantage that you are used to hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    I'd say that in practice, there is not much difference between Zoology and Biology BSc degrees. Your first year is unlikely to be massively different whichever you choose - although Zoology may not include some plant material, both will include biochemistry, physiology, ecology, evolution, and genetics. Later on, in both subjects, you will be able to choose options in years 2 and 3 so as to focus on the topics you are most interested in.

So do look at different college prospectuses and see how the individual courses are structured regarding options etc, but don't stress too much about it. Bear in mind, though, like alleycat393 says, these are academic courses. Be clear that you're interested in the academic side - otherwise a more vocational degree in animal husbandry or something similar might be a better fit?

Try not to fret about not being smart enough. Returning to full time education will be a shock, so you should seek out your tutors and support services from the start. But you have the advantage that you are used to hard work.
    Hi thanks so much for your reply. I am definitely interested in the academic side although I didn’t sound it before. It’s all new to me but I’m enjoying it. I’ve found out being mentally drained is a lot harder than being physically drained like I’m used too!! And yes I really want it and want to create a new life for myself. I’m already improving from my access course. Many thanks for your advice it’s really appreciated . X

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.