Turn on thread page Beta

A noise no one else can hear watch

ReputationRep:
    My dad has been hearing a noise, almost like a very low frequency throbbing noise at night, and it keeps him awake at night and causes him not to sleep. The issue is, is that no one else can hear this noise at all, and we cant tell if he is hearing something, or has something like EHS (exploding head syndrome). He is blaming it on the factories up the road, which are a good 2km away, and it just seems very unlikely that it is them making the noise. So i was wondering if their are any sort of health related issues that can cause things like this while falling asleep, as we don't think its EHS since that is supposed to be a short loud band, but this noise is long and lasts hours, supposedly. Any help??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m005eman)
    My dad has been hearing a noise, almost like a very low frequency throbbing noise at night, and it keeps him awake at night and causes him not to sleep. The issue is, is that no one else can hear this noise at all, and we cant tell if he is hearing something, or has something like EHS (exploding head syndrome). He is blaming it on the factories up the road, which are a good 2km away, and it just seems very unlikely that it is them making the noise. So i was wondering if their are any sort of health related issues that can cause things like this while falling asleep, as we don't think its EHS since that is supposed to be a short loud band, but this noise is long and lasts hours, supposedly. Any help??
    Low range tinnitus? He should go for a hearing examination and mention the noise, it could be a growth or losing his hearing which often causes varying noise frequencies. Is he anxious about anything atm? Anxiety plays a huge part in tinnitus
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    He does work quite a stressful job, which i know for a fact has caused him to become quite anxious in the past. I did think of that at the start but he says he only hears it in the house, no where else, and usually at night, sometimes in the day, but rarely. I'm basically trying to find a reason to convince him to go and see the GP about it, as it is stressing the whole family out.

ReputationRep:
    Google the hum some people can hear it constantly

ReputationRep:
    He shousl talk to his Gp about it.

ReputationRep:
    He does work quite a stressful job, which i know for a fact has caused him to become quite anxious in the past. I did think of that at the start but he says he only hears it in the house, no where else, and usually at night, sometimes in the day, but rarely. I'm basically trying to find a reason to convince him to go and see the GP about it, as it is stressing the whole family out.
    I only hear my tinnitus at night in the house ☺️ it’s because it’s dark, it’s night time, your senses are heightened and you’re more likely to worry. I’m going to the doctors about mine tomorrow hopefully - I think it’s been brought on by stress and anxiety caused by University!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily048)
    I only hear my tinnitus at night in the house ☺️ it’s because it’s dark, it’s night time, your senses are heightened and you’re more likely to worry. I’m going to the doctors about mine tomorrow hopefully - I think it’s been brought on by stress and anxiety caused by University!
    Thank you for telling me this, he may actually listen if i have a valid reason for him to see the GP

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for telling me this, he may actually listen if i have a valid reason for him to see the GP
    No worries ☺️ there’s loads about it online too if you wanna read up - anxiety and stress are the biggest causes of hearing problems!

ReputationRep:
    We all have this humming noise in our heads at our house.
    I think its the technological frequencies; Televisions being on most of the time/ everyday... Mobile phones and microwaves all stress your nerves system whilest thinking too much over stuff that you can not get anything done about it.

personally, this is my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Its in the name sunny, 'Student' room (Not intended for your father)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.