Turn on thread page Beta

I don’t know if this is the correct place to post this sort of thing but I need help with what to do in my current situation.
    My parents have been married for almost 20 years now and I’ve witnessed 18 years of it. From what I can remember they have been arguing a lot and it’s reached the point of an argument every 1 or 2 weeks. Mainly about the most random things but I know that they’re not happy with each other and in most arguments my mum says that she hates my dad and doesn’t want to be with him(that may just be something she says because they’re arguing). But basically I am worried for my family. I also have a little brother that is 5 years old and if I get into Uni this year, I don’t want to be worrying about if my parents are arguing at home and if it’s affecting my brother.
    I need suggestions about what I should do.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don’t know if this is the correct place to post this sort of thing but I need help with what to do in my current situation.
    My parents have been married for almost 20 years now and I’ve witnessed 18 years of it. From what I can remember they have been arguing a lot and it’s reached the point of an argument every 1 or 2 weeks. Mainly about the most random things but I know that they’re not happy with each other and in most arguments my mum says that she hates my dad and doesn’t want to be with him(that may just be something she says because they’re arguing). But basically I am worried for my family. I also have a little brother that is 5 years old and if I get into Uni this year, I don’t want to be worrying about if my parents are arguing at home and if it’s affecting my brother.
    I need suggestions about what I should do.
    Depends how well you get on with them and if they listen to you.

They could go for relationship counselling, but it sounds too far gone and as though they arent interested otherwise they would have gone.

They could call a truce and make up, but sounds as though thats a non option.

The only other thing is to look into a separation or divorce. That has financial consequences.

Sounds like you can talk to your mum, but not your dad. It is really fr them to sort out and they may not listen to you. Just keep an eye on your brother. Be aware that sometimes well meaning intervention can make things worse, plus things may be more complicated than you realise.

Tread carefully.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.