The Student Room Group

Deal struck in university pensions row

[ Just pointing out they have appeared to have reached a provisional agreement to suspend the strike, which needs to be ratified by the members. Further disruption to exams can now be avoided if they agree. I never thought they would go through with it. Anyway good news for students doing their exams]

An agreement has been reached in the university strike - with union leaders and employers making a deal over threatened pension cuts.
If the terms are accepted at a meeting of union representatives on Tuesday, the strike will be suspended.
The agreement would mean a new, independent re-evaluation of the pension deficit and temporary arrangements to tackle the shortfall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43380857
Turns out the striking would not result in the end of the world, as was oft claimed.

Great news for students, lecturers and humanitarians alike.
Just get the Tories out tbh
Reply 3
Good news in principle all around but I don't know a single person that is happy with this three year stopgap.
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
Turns out the striking would not result in the end of the world, as was oft claimed.

Great news for students, lecturers and humanitarians alike.

Spent ages trying to tell them that and to focus on what was in front of them. At least they can really focus now and for the constant worriers, then they can find something else.

I dont see anyone managing to sue them either.
Original post by 999tigger
Spent ages trying to tell them that and to focus on what was in front of them. At least they can really focus now and for the constant worriers, then they can find something else.

I dont see anyone managing to sue them either.

That's why I responded and repped. I remember you struggling to quell the doomsdayers' collective despair.

The usual and expected storm in a teacup.
Original post by gjd800
Good news in principle all around but I don't know a single person that is happy with this three year stopgap.

For first years, who will be leaving education in under three years, I imagine are chuffed.
Reply 7
For first years, who will be leaving education in under three years, I imagine are chuffed.

Yeah, I don't particularly 'know' any of my first years.
Original post by gjd800
Yeah, I don't particularly 'know' any of my first years.

In the carnal or platonic sense? I suppose as a philosopher it ought to be platonic.

My point was that there is only one side which is interested in this. For students, they don't care about the lecturers' conditions of employment; they just wanna scrape a 2:1 without having too many hurdles placed in their way. For those whose conditions of employment are directly affected, well obviously they're not going to be delighted. Employees never will be.
greedy university staff need to recognise that defined pension schemes are unviable in 2018.

Every FTSE100 company has closed its defined benefit scheme.

It makes no sense to guarantee someone x amount of pension linked to inflation, regardless of what happens to the underlying stock market investments of the university.

Students supporting the strikes fail to understand, quality will suffer as more of their tuition fee goes to fund the pension deficit
Reply 10
In the carnal or platonic sense? I suppose as a philosopher it ought to be platonic.

My point was that there is only one side which is interested in this. For students, they don't care about the lecturers' conditions of employment; they just wanna scrape a 2:1 without having too many hurdles placed in their way. For those whose conditions of employment are directly affected, well obviously they're not going to be delighted. Employees never will be.

It's not even 'not delighted', there is some vocal rank-and-file opposition because, well, everyone thinks that nothing is really being done. Increased contributions (fine in principle) but to what is perceived as no real ends, just this three year 'transitionary period' which will probably result in the original switches anyway. The one good thing to come of it (if it goes ahead) will be an independent panel doing the maths of it all, which should in theory put to bed the wangling that has been going on for both sides.

And in neither sense, haha!
Oh goody, I might actually get lectured again.
So pissed I'm actually getting examined on missed lectures like wtf
Reply 13
Original post by hannah00
greedy university staff need to recognise that defined pension schemes are unviable in 2018.

Oh god forbid they want to keep their pension schemes?

Every FTSE100 company has closed its defined benefit scheme.

Are you seriously comparing Universities to the likes of BP, BHP and GSK? A risible comparison.

It makes no sense to guarantee someone x amount of pension linked to inflation, regardless of what happens to the underlying stock market investments of the university.

Er you mean like the Civil service index linked pensions ? :rolleyes:

Students supporting the strikes fail to understand, quality will suffer as more of their tuition fee goes to fund the pension deficit

And you fail to understand that if lecturers don't have some sort of incentive to work at a British university they'll simply move overseas or back into the private sector. A far more damaging alternative.
Original post by Napp
Oh god forbid they want to keep their pension schemes? .

they still have a pension scheme, just not one based on life expectancy in the 1960s.

Original post by Napp

Are you seriously comparing Universities to the likes of BP, BHP and GSK? A risible comparison.

Why not ? If anything Private Companies have more resources and wealth to offer better pension schemes, if they cant afford it, no way universities can.

Original post by Napp

Er you mean like the Civil service index linked pensions ? :rolleyes: .

Yes, those sorts of schemes are not based on economic reality. However, unlike the govt, universities cannot print money to fund spending :rolleyes:
You think universities have their own currency and income tax powers ? lol.

Original post by Napp

And you fail to understand that if lecturers don't have some sort of incentive to work at a British university they'll simply move overseas or back into the private sector. A far more damaging alternative.

Lecturers are failed private sector employees anyway, they cant go back. Spending 20 years teaching a bunch of 19 year old doesn't equip you for a job in management with the same salary in BP or PWC :rolleyes:

Let them move overseas then ? We can just recruit more from abroad like what happens now anyway.
Do overseas countries offer DB pensions ?
What you fail to understand is students should not be subsidizing inflation protection pensions on middle class lecturers.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by hannah00
Lecturers are failed private sector employees anyway, they cant go back. Spending 20 years teaching a bunch of 19 year old doesn't equip you for a job in management with the same salary in BP or PWC :rolleyes:

Let them move overseas then ? We can just recruit more from abroad like what happens now anyway.
Do overseas countries offer DB pensions ?
What you fail to understand is students should not be subsidizing inflation protection pensions on middle class lecturers.

Lol very droll.
'We can just recruit more' what an absolute load of ****.
No you'd just rather pauperise them and drive them away from the universities so we have a substandard education system, real good plan there champ 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending