Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I’m currently on a gap year and have unconditional offers to study English and History at UWE Bristol, Swansea and Aston. I achieved BBC in my A Levels however I know I could have achieved so much better.

My favourite university so far is UWE. However I have reservations about this university because of its reputation. Does anyone have any strong (negative or positive) opinions about UWE, Aston or Swansea?

If I could go to any university, irrespective of grades, I would choose University of Bristol. I have been considering taking yet another gap year to retake two of my subjects to hopefully obtain AAB and maybe get onto a course there. Is this unheard of? Has anyone here done anything similar?

I really hate the thought of going to a uni that I’m not 100% sure about, and so far I haven’t loved any university I’ve seen. Im desperate to go to university as soon as possible but another year out in the grand scheme of things really is nothing, especially to do something that may improve my prospects.

Many thanks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lol112)
    Hi all,

I’m currently on a gap year and have unconditional offers to study English and History at UWE Bristol, Swansea and Aston. I achieved BBC in my A Levels however I know I could have achieved so much better.

My favourite university so far is UWE. However I have reservations about this university because of its reputation. Does anyone have any strong (negative or positive) opinions about UWE, Aston or Swansea?

If I could go to any university, irrespective of grades, I would choose University of Bristol. I have been considering taking yet another gap year to retake two of my subjects to hopefully obtain AAB and maybe get onto a course there. Is this unheard of? Has anyone here done anything similar?

I really hate the thought of going to a uni that I’m not 100% sure about, and so far I haven’t loved any university I’ve seen. Im desperate to go to university as soon as possible but another year out in the grand scheme of things really is nothing, especially to do something that may improve my prospects.

Many thanks.
    You're a weird one. You got unconditionals mate, make the most of them.

ReputationRep:
    Only got unconditionals because I applied after exams? No use if they’re for unis I don’t think I want to spend 4 years of my life at though mate.

ReputationRep:
    trust your instincts. at the end of the day if you can't see yourself spending the next 3 years there then it likely isn't the right place for you. if recommend going to each of the unis for another visit if possible before you made any final decisions.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi all,

Many thanks.

NO brainer be patient , smart and determined.

Resit- do yourself justice and go to Bristol when your hard work pays off. You write your own story. 1000% it is the right choice. Back yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The course you choose steers your career more than the university you go to. A lower ranked university might mean you have to work slightly harder to stay on the same level, but since you're saving a year that might be a good choice. After the bachelors degree you'll probably just apply to a masters degree or companies like everyone else, and you'll be judged on ability. Overall it's just what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    A first/2.1 from UWE is still a good achievement. But if you're not fully set on it then there's no point in going to UWE to then just drop out because you've realised it isn't for you. An extra year isn't really that long, a few of my friends took two years before settling down on their final choice. If Bristol is what you really want and you can still see yourself achieving the required grades then go for it. Just make sure you're doing something valuable with your gap years, fill up your CV to make sure those two years aren't wasted.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your replies. I’m still firmly undecided but it’s nice to hear that i’m not crazy for even suggesting it! Sometimes I just find it’s good to get ideas out into the open. The solution will probably start with a few conversations with people that I feel I have let down, but I guess it could be worth it
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi all,

Many thanks.
    Congrats on your offers, you have some great universities to choose from there.

If you have any questions about Aston we are here to help. Don't worry I won't spam you with marketing spiel.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    I currently study Computer Science at the University of Surrey. I got ABC at A levels and was think about retaking to get ABB or higher, but I'm not 100% sure yet if I should. How much do A levels matter? Is there any point of me retaking them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobiDada17)
    I currently study Computer Science at the University of Surrey. I got ABC at A levels and was think about retaking to get ABB or higher, but I'm not 100% sure yet if I should. How much do A levels matter? Is there any point of me retaking them?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mongodb)
    No.
    Do you care to explain why?

ReputationRep:
    Ha wow not sure how I was so blunt in that reply, I'm usually quite a bit more friendly. It's MUCH higher a priority that you get good grades at university; if you get a good degree it's pretty much irrelevant what you got at A level. To be honest I can barely think of a qualification less important for employment (outside of when applying for higher apprenticeships) than A-levels, especially once you've got yourself a degree. I guess it's possible it might affect whether you get on a particular 3rd year uni work placement, but the importance of them is minuscule compared to what you get in the first year of your degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rather than taking another year out to do A-levels, why not see on results day if you could get access to a degree + foundation year at a better university through clearing?

Alternatively, you could reject all your offers and apply for one of these courses in UCAS extra.

ReputationRep:
    well I would have assumed these universities would be available in clearing. I might be wrong though so check for yourself hopefully rejecting them would not prejudice your chances if you approached them in clearing. then you can have the best of both worlds resit your exams and see if you can get better options if your grades improve when the results come out. or just go to one of the unis you were going to go to anyway win win.

you should probably check some of my assumptions there though.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly Bristol's offer for English and History is AAA unless you would be entitled to their contextual offer. It is going to be extremely difficult to turn a C to an A. I am also concerned you havent resat this summer and how likely you are to study fully next year . I believe your best bet would be to go to university this year wherever that might be. Reading your statement i note you are looking at 2 universities in Bristol. Is that to be close to home to save costs.

Aston is practically in the middle of Birmingham very much like Bristol. UWE about 4 miles out of Bristol centre. Swansea is totally different a large town basically compared to the very large cities like Birmingham and Bristol. You need to consider what type of environment you wish to study in and the content of the course then decide from there. It might be a good idea to visit to get a feel for the place.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by TobiDada17)
    Hi TobiDada17,

As the user above has said, there's probably not much point in retaking A Levels once you're already at university. Just focus on getting a good degree classification as that's one of the main things employers look at when you're applying for graduate jobs. Getting some relevant experience through doing a placement year, summer internships etc is also hugely important for getting a job in your chosen field after university Hope you're enjoying your course so far!

All the best,
    Ashley

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.