Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so today I’ve had a job interview which I feel went well and I will hear back if I got the job In less than two weeks time. However when the guy interviewing me asked me if I’m currently employed I said no which isn’t true. I got my first job just two weeks ago and signed the starter checklist last week obviously stating that this is the first job since last April etc. Now if I do get the new job I’ll have to say that I’ve had a job since last April and if the guy references this to what he asked at the interview he’ll clearly see that I have lied (My current job wasn’t on my cv as I haven’t yet signed the starter checklist). The reason why I’m applying for another job already is because the current one is terrible with a bad work ethic and pays minimum wage. What should I do if I get the job? Thanks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by send duck pics)
    Hi, so today I’ve had a job interview which I feel went well and I will hear back if I got the job In less than two weeks time. However when the guy interviewing me asked me if I’m currently employed I said no which isn’t true. I got my first job just two weeks ago and signed the starter checklist last week obviously stating that this is the first job since last April etc. Now if I do get the new job I’ll have to say that I’ve had a job since last April and if the guy references this to what he asked at the interview he’ll clearly see that I have lied (My current job wasn’t on my cv as I haven’t yet signed the starter checklist). The reason why I’m applying for another job already is because the current one is terrible with a bad work ethic and pays minimum wage. What should I do if I get the job? Thanks.
    I'd just be honest about it now if they're going to find out. If they offer you the job and then you tell them, it'll seem worse and they may just take the job off you.

ReputationRep:
    Yh, the best thing is to be honest with him and hope that he forgives you.

ReputationRep:
    If by "starter checklist" you mean HMRC's form P46 (for a new starter without a P45) options B "this is now my only job but since 6th April I have had another job..." would be the appropriate box to tick - it doesn't matter when in the tax year you had another job, it simply informs your new employer and HMRC about your tax code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marple)
    If by "starter checklist" you mean HMRC's form P46 (for a new starter without a P45) options B "this is now my only job but since 6th April I have had another job..." would be the appropriate box to tick - it doesn't matter when in the tax year you had another job, it simply informs your new employer and HMRC about your tax code.
    So you’re saying to just not mention the job I’ve got and fill in “this is now my only job”? What if he asks what my job was and why I didn’t mention it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So you’re saying to just not mention the job I’ve got and fill in “this is now my only job”? What if he asks what my job was and why I didn’t mention it?
    I was just pointing out that you can fill out the P46 accurately without it being an issue. Many people have spells of casual employment that don't work out and that they haven't stayed at long enough to get a reference.

I don't know your circumstances - if it's a "career" job that's one thing, and you should explain the mix up, but if it's a part time job while you're at college/university that's another matter. Your potential employer will be concerned about you having to serve a period of notice which is why he asked - and after 2 weeks, that's not really going to be a problem.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.