Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Skripal poisoning - May responds in House of Commons watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    I believe one of the most effective ways to punish Russia would be for GCHQ to hack into Russian networks and then release embarassing video, recordings etc of Putin, or Russian government officials. GCHQ and NSA have the capability to engage in these sorts of operations, for example, to switch on the cameras and microphones in someone's smartphone without them being aware.

Whereas Russia tends to be dependent on more primitive means of hacking (like using spearphishing and conning people into installing malware or giving up passwords), Western signals intelligence outfits tend to be highly proficient in direct hacking of computers and smartphones using zero-day exploits and the like. People tend to think Russia has this amazing cyber-capability when in fact it is little more sophisticated than a well-funded private hacking group. The West's cyber-capabilities are exceptional, but we invariably use the access we have on adversary computer networks to collect intelligence; when you have that sort of access, publicly releasing the information you have means losing that access, which we are loathe to do.

Still, it would be worth the pain. The UK should release embarassing video, recordings and also financial information (particularly that which shows corruption of Russian government officials), but they should release it through a made-up cutout organisation with a name like "RussiaLeaks", then smirk and laugh when Russia cries foul, and claim it has nothing to do with us.

That would be one of the best tastes of their own medicine
    I think whilst this would be a great way to undermine the russian govt, but its not the right move.

Remember we get about 5% of oil from russia, 10% of diesel(?) and 35% of our coal from there too.

The best way is economic sanctions. Similar to the Magnitsky act.

We're going to open up investigations into other suspicious deaths too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43387499

Tough economic sanctions is the best way forward. Once America gets rid of Trump and drains the swamp (ironic) and finally comes to its senses, in a few years time the UK, Canada, USA and EU should hit Russia with enough sanctions to cripple their economy and turn it back into the communist sh*tpile it once was.

Undermine the oligarchs and who knows, maybe even Putin will lose authority in the Kremlin.

ReputationRep:
    ZOG? As in 'Zionist Occupation Government'? As in the moronic neo-Nazi conspiracy theory alleging Jews control global events?
    As in the patently clear reality that most western governments are unduly influenced by Israel. Eg see the Israel Lobby and US foreign policy in the US or the conservative and labour ‘friends of Israel or/and Saudi Arabia in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    As in the patently clear reality that most western governments are unduly influenced by Israel. Eg see the Israel Lobby and US foreign policy in the US or the conservative and labour ‘friends of Israel or/and Saudi Arabia in the UK.
    get a job mate, you still unemployed?

silly anti semitic moron

ReputationRep:
    I believe one of the most effective ways to punish Russia would be for GCHQ to hack into Russian networks and then release embarassing video, recordings etc of Putin, or Russian government officials. GCHQ and NSA have the capability to engage in these sorts of operations, for example, to switch on the cameras and microphones in someone's smartphone without them being aware.

Whereas Russia tends to be dependent on more primitive means of hacking (like using spearphishing and conning people into installing malware or giving up passwords), Western signals intelligence outfits tend to be highly proficient in direct hacking of computers and smartphones using zero-day exploits and the like. People tend to think Russia has this amazing cyber-capability when in fact it is little more sophisticated than a well-funded private hacking group. The West's cyber-capabilities are exceptional, but we invariably use the access we have on adversary computer networks to collect intelligence; when you have that sort of access, publicly releasing the information you have means losing that access, which we are loathe to do.

Still, it would be worth the pain. The UK should release embarassing video, recordings and also financial information (particularly that which shows corruption of Russian government officials), but they should release it through a made-up cutout organisation with a name like "RussiaLeaks", then smirk and laugh when Russia cries foul, and claim it has nothing to do with us.

Doubt it would be that effective. I’m sure everyone knows Putin is corrupt in Russia. He’s still going to win a landslide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattchaamp)
    get a job mate, you still unemployed?

silly anti semitic moron
    I haven’t been unemployed for six years now, so no.

Have a good night pal 👍🏻

ReputationRep:
    I haven’t been unemployed for six years now, so no.

Have a good night pal 👍🏻
    Stop lying mate. 6 years is bs. Get a job and stop living off welfare.

Why is every anti semitic conspiracy peddler on the internet an unemployed recluse?

ReputationRep:
    Stop lying mate. 6 years is bs. Get a job and stop living off welfare.

Why is every anti semitic conspiracy peddler on the internet an unemployed recluse?
    I seem to have ticked a nerve...

I have a good job. You go and get a job. You’re probably projecting.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have ticked a nerve...

I have a good job. You go and get a job. You’re probably projecting.
    Get a job you hippie bum!

ReputationRep:

Are there any embarrassing videos of Putin/government officials though?

ReputationRep:
    As in the patently clear
    As is patently clear, you're a conspiracist moron and Nazi **** wit. Piss off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionis...spiracy_theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Are there any embarrassing videos of Putin/government officials though?
    You don't think corruption is highly embarassing? Just one example, the Russian First Deputy Prime Minister, Shovalov, owns a £14 million flat in London, just across the road from the Ministry of Defence. His annual salary is around $100,000 a year, which is less than 10% of the stamp duty alone on that property. He has been a civil servant for pretty much his entire career, except two years in business in the mid-1990s. Where does all this money come from? The answer is it comes from corruption and theft from the long-suffering Russian people.

The Russian government is unbelievably corrupt, and exposing that by hacking into their computers and smartphones to secure conversations they have where they discuss their corruption, and involvement with organised crime, would be very damaging to them.

ReputationRep:
    X
    I agree with the measures you have proposed. For example, First Deputy PM of Russia Shovalov owns a £14 million flat in Whitehall, just across the road from the Ministry of Defence. His salary is around $100,000 a year, and he has been a civil servant for pretty much his entire career. Where did he get the money? From corruption and theft, of course.

There are many such Russians in London, and we could really put the squeeze on them. Magnitsky Act, seizures, sanctions and the like are a good tool to deploy in this situation.

But I'm not sure why you don't think we should also proceed with my idea. Part of the problem with Russia is that it has this impenetrable phalanx of propaganda supporting the regime; as long as there is no incontestable evidence to contradict them, they get away with denying pretty much everything by creating just enough doubt in the information against them that their supporters can convince themselves that the regime is right.

Pushing out that sort of embarassing material into the public sphere would start putting chinks in that propaganda phalanx, that smidgin of doubt that allows them to exploit the credulity of their own population and of many in the West.

It would also show that we too can use cyber-tools, that we too have capabilities in this area and can make life very uncomfortable for them. At the moment the West looks impotent, by carrying out an operation of the sort I've proposed, it would make Russia and its leadership look weak. In a world where perception is, if not everything, then alot, this would be a major boast to the package of measures we roll out against the regime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Which is what i said about the actors committing. They go for it and it all becomes a bit more credible and dark. It seems a bit B movie at first, but it gets more interesting when you eek out a bit more plot. It could have gone so wrong, but in fact it gets better. Anyway make your own mind up. I like it but I should shut up as I pefer people to make their own minds up and have a clean canvas.
    Fair enough. I am enjoying it so far, and more with each episode. It is quite interesting how economical and sparse the show is in worldbuilding; they don't go about revealing a lot of information about the two parallel worlds, which focuses it right down to the human drama. And it means when you do get those morsels of worldbuilding information, it is quite satisfying.

Forgot to point out Altered Carbon on Netflix just in case you havent seen it. Make up your own mind.
    Ah yes, I've seen it. I'd say it was a solid 7, maybe a 6.75, out of 10. It was not the best thing I've ever seen, but it was interesting and entertaining. It's not a top-tier show like The Americans or Deadwood, but it is good enough.

Oh, I have another few shows you might like. Did I mention Babylon Berlin to you? It's as if Stanley Kubrick and Baz Luhrman had a lovechild and that lovechild created a detective drama set in 1920s Berlin.

It really is very good at setting the scene and showing the colour of post-WW1 Berlin; the political upheaval (Social Democratic government, fascists, communists, riots, shootings in the street), the poverty, the decadence and the incredible social progressiveness (i.e. cross-dressing, open homosexuality). And it has a really good mystery at the centre of it. I'd give it a solid 8.

This trailer gives you a good sense of the show and the Luhrman-esque elements;

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Fair enough. I am enjoying it so far, and more with each episode. It is quite interesting how economical and sparse the show is in worldbuilding; they don't go about revealing a lot of information about the two parallel worlds, which focuses it right down to the human drama. And it means when you do get those morsels of worldbuilding information, it is quite satisfying.

Ah yes, I've seen it. I'd say it was a solid 7, maybe a 6.75, out of 10. It was not the best thing I've ever seen, but it was interesting and entertaining. It's not a top-tier show like The Americans or Deadwood, but it is good enough.

Oh, I have another few shows you might like. Did I mention Babylon Berlin to you? It's as if Stanley Kubrick and Baz Luhrman had a lovechild and that lovechild created a detective drama set in 1920s Berlin.

It really is very good at setting the scene and showing the colour of post-WW1 Berlin; the political upheaval (Social Democratic government, fascists, communists, riots, shootings in the street), the poverty, the decadence and the incredible social progressiveness (i.e. cross-dressing, open homosexuality). And it has a really good mystery at the centre of it. I'd give it a solid 8.

This trailer gives you a good sense of the show and the Luhrman-esque elements;

Yes I await the next season. id already seen it. You might see a familiar in Counterpart. I liked AC , as you say cant be the best but it has ambition plus a large budget. Was fun whilst it lasted.

ReputationRep:
    X
    The other show I wanted to tell you about is Incorporated. It's a show set in a sort of cyberpunk future where all the power is held by corporations, and a select few are allowed to live in pleasant gated communities while masses of unemployed live outside. It was executive produced by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck so it has a definite progressive / left-wing slant. I found it to be really good, honestly an 8.5 which is why I was so disappointed it was cancelled by SyFy after only a season.

The trailer doesn't do it justice

ReputationRep:
    As is patently clear, you're a conspiracist moron and Nazi **** wit. Piss off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionis...spiracy_theory
    Gee you sure showed me with that Wikipedia article 🙂

ReputationRep:
    Which is what i said about the actors committing. They go for it and it all becomes a bit more credible and dark. It seems a bit B movie at first, but it gets more interesting when you eek out a bit more plot. It could have gone so wrong, but in fact it gets better. Anyway make your own mind up. I like it but I should shut up as I pefer people to make their own minds up and have a clean canvas.

Forgot to point out Altered Carbon on Netflix just in case you havent seen it. Make up your own mind.
    Once final recommendation, and it might be a superfluous one but I just have to make it; Deadwood. For me is remains the greatest show of all time; so magnificently written, so expertly acted, with such brilliant production values, that for me it gets a perfect 10. As Charlie Brooker says, the language is (in the best sense) Shakespearean; I am genuinely in awe of the scriptwriters for having written dialogue that is so acutely intelligent and so dynamic in its use of the English language.

Although it's ten years old now, and you may well have seen it, I thought it was worth the risk that you have because it's so great; it will be a real treat for someone who has such exquisitely good taste in television as you do.

Charlie Brooker gives an excellent overview and review of it here

ReputationRep:
    Gee you sure showed me with that Wikipedia article 🙂
    It wasn't for your benefit, Nazi scum. It's so other people who are not conversant in the ways of racist filth will know to what I refer.

I do not engage with Nazi scum so this is my last message to you.

ReputationRep:
    For a ‘nazi’ I’m pretty tolerant of people who disagree with me and usually don’t resort to ad hominem and Wikipedia articles to back up my points 😂
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Once final recommendation, and it might be a superfluous one but I just have to make it; Deadwood. For me is remains the greatest show of all time; so magnificently written, so expertly acted, with such brilliant production values, that for me it gets a perfect 10. As Charlie Brooker says, the language is (in the best sense) Shakespearean; I am genuinely in awe of the scriptwriters for having written dialogue that is so acutely intelligent and so dynamic in its use of the English language.

Although it's ten years old now, and you may well have seen it, I thought it was worth the risk that you have because it's so great; it will be a real treat for someone who has such exquisitely good taste in television as you do.

Charlie Brooker gives an excellent overview and review of it here
    Not the greatest imo, but great and criminal when they ended it that way, when it was getting going. McShanes best ever part. I like worldbuilding.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.