Turn on thread page Beta

Nervous about going to university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at College doing a BTEC in engineering and I have been very lucky to be offered a place on an engineering foundation year (uni of nottingham). However, i failed sixth meaning i will be 19 when i get their. I am insecure about opening up to this to people as i feel as if im going to be judged and not make alot friends. I am a little overweight and dont have alot of confidence.

something else that concerns me is that i will not fit into a group and not make friends. Im into my fitness a bit of gaming and just like to get around and want to join the OTC when i am there. something else than is on my mind as well is that i won't get a girlfriend even though my course is 5 years long.

Any advice or help?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    If people judge you for that then they are not even worth being friends with. People make mistakes and **** happens, at least you got in this year!

There were plenty of people in my first year who were few years older than me and no-one even notices and/or cares why. There's a 27 year old with us and no-one cares, it's pretty irrelevant after all, age is just a number.

As for making friends, don't sweat it! I didn't know anyone in my first year and I'm quite shy and introverted, but I had 2 choices; put myself out there, or keep my head down and shy away from new people. It is terrifying but so worth it, and you'll find people will just accept you. You don't have to force yourself to drink and go out every night if that's not your style, but be open to conversations and don't be afraid to start one with the person sat next to you in class.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatL8)
    If people judge you for that then they are not even worth being friends with. People make mistakes and **** happens, at least you got in this year!

There were plenty of people in my first year who were few years older than me and no-one even notices and/or cares why. There's a 27 year old with us and no-one cares, it's pretty irrelevant after all, age is just a number.

As for making friends, don't sweat it! I didn't know anyone in my first year and I'm quite shy and introverted, but I had 2 choices; put myself out there, or keep my head down and shy away from new people. It is terrifying but so worth it, and you'll find people will just accept you. You don't have to force yourself to drink and go out every night if that's not your style, but be open to conversations and don't be afraid to start one with the person sat next to you in class.

Hope this helps!
    thanks man

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.