Turn on thread page Beta

applying again after dropping out first year! watch

ReputationRep:
    (edit) thank you 999tigger for telling me to post in another forum!

I dropped out of SOAS at the end of 2016 for personal reason, spent the year fixing my mistakes and now working to sustain myself. I want to apply to university again now that im determined and ive left my dark stuff in the past. I want to know if its still possible to get a grant, and if its still possible to get a maintenance fee too. I was in university for one term before dropping out. I am thinking of starting with access programme, but im not too sure what the acceptance rates are for them. If anyone has any advice id love some help, just want to get myself back on track.

ReputationRep:
    Its possible to re-apply after failing the first year. I got bored half way through my first year and dropped out, uni isnt for everyone. I started again in a new corner of the world. Yes it is possible, however. I would have a good think first before doing so, those loans hang around for a long long time....

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for replying. i realised now that I really do want to go back to uni, I want to pursue a degree in sustainable development, and I dont know how else to do so unless i leave the country. I have been out of the country for about 8 months, taking classes in LA to help keep me sober and drug free. would you know if this will affect my student finance chances? should i not mention that when applying?

ReputationRep:
    also where are you currently studying?

ReputationRep:
    Clearly finances are not an issue if you can afford to go to LA for eight months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (math))
    Clearly finances are not an issue if you can afford to go to LA for eight months.
    I didnt have a lot of options at the time. had to break into my savings to afford rehab. lived rent free and all things were basically payed for me while i lived on my friends couch. I was lucky enough to even have a ticket payed for me to go. I dont believe that it was the most luxurious time of my life but i do not regret those months , those people saved me. I am back here because I wanted to make something of myself again, even if i dont have the money. finances are very much so an issue , and i am still wondering if I should mention my trip as I do not want to be denied a loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikejamandtoast)
    I didnt have a lot of options at the time. had to break into my savings to afford rehab. lived rent free and all things were basically payed for me while i lived on my friends couch. I was lucky enough to even have a ticket payed for me to go. I dont believe that it was the most luxurious time of my life but i do not regret those months , those people saved me. I am back here because I wanted to make something of myself again, even if i dont have the money. finances are very much so an issue , and i am still wondering if I should mention my trip as I do not want to be denied a loan
    I never discussed my personal life with any authority at the uni, frankly it is none of their business.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.