Turn on thread page Beta

I need a bit of advice... 7 years out of education! watch

ReputationRep:
    Good morning,

As per the title, I've been out of school for about 7 years, Year 5-11, to be precise. I have a diagnosis of ASD, of which is unnoticeable, and it's felt like an excuse to the Local Authority just to do whatever they like in regards to my education, thus the long period out of education.

I was placed in an Alternative Provision in November, and just expected to pluck five or six GCSEs out of nowhere. It got to the point where I realised how woefully underprepared I was, I wasn't even given study books or homework. There are numerous other issues with the AP, including their inability to provide the six timetabled lessons per day, usually only having one, but that's another story altogether.

Despite me telling them I won't be taking GCSEs, I'm still being pressured into doing so, again, with no basic resources being given to me to be able to revise in my own time.

As I've only just been dropped into the whole GCSE stuff recently, I haven't had a clue on how any of it works, so the contradictory advice from staff at the AP, such as 'you don't need GCSEs, it'll be fine' to the 'you need GCSEs or you'll never get anywhere in life'.

So, I really need some advice, I have a place at College, of which I am starting in September. I've had dialogue with the College, and they say they'll happily let me take the course I applied for without GCSEs, and would assist in my gaining them too. I'm just concerned about getting a job. Would the long period out of education see the employer have a negative view on me? Would the lack of GCSEs prevent me from even getting to interview stage?

I've enquired to the two companies in the area who operate in the industry I wish to go into in regards to work experience, however, it was only in the last few days that I wrote to them, so I'm yet to hear back. I'm under the impression that work experience is good for helping in getting a job and to have on my CV?

Apologies for the long rambling post!

Kind regards,
    T.

ReputationRep:
    in general you will need a C/4 in GCSE English and maths for many jobs, but almost all colleges offer the opportunity to sit these alongside whatever course you're taking.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aesthete1)
    in general you will need a C/4 in GCSE English and maths for many jobs, but almost all colleges offer the opportunity to sit these alongside whatever course you're taking.
    Thanks for the response, do the colleges offer lessons in maths in the same way that a school would do? I'm supposedly predicted at an E grade in maths (C and D have also been quoted :hmmmm:), so I really need to brush up in that area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ts4659)
    Thanks for the response, do the colleges offer lessons in maths in the same way that a school would do? I'm supposedly predicted at an E grade in maths (C and D have also been quoted :hmmmm:), so I really need to brush up in that area.
    most will offer some tutoring although usually less than if you were taking it as a secondary school student, you should check with your college what their provision is for students sitting maths gcse
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You can surely study for GSCES along with A levels at any college, then decide if you want to get A levels or other level three qualifications such as BTEC's so you can do an apprenticeship, or if you feel its a path to explore and you enjoy academics maybe a decent university. However i wouldn't push the academic path if your not up for it. You can get a good apprenticeship with decent A levels, as you are older try and achieve higher, ABB should be your goal. Best of luck!

P.S.

I did a foundation at 26, got AAB suprisingly, even though i never thought i was stupid i had never taken school all too seriously. Had horrible grades 10 years ago in highschool, mainly out of lack of effort i believe.

I now attend a Russell group and am in the brochure of my former foundation, as a success story! So anything is possible!

ReputationRep:
    My experience kinda differs, I'm a mature student mid 30s and did pretty bad at my standard grades/GCSEs at the time, and i've found that as an adult no one really cares about GCSEs, at all. If a college has already agreed to let you in without them, congrats, you should never need to care about therm again. If you still want to enhance your core maths skills or whatever there are more approachable ways to do it tan the full GCSE program. Whats the course'level you've been accepted for?

Work exp is worth it's weight in gold, I've got into college and then uni with no real qualifications, confident talking and work exp only.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.