Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering how many grade 9s are seen as Oxbridge standard. Because, in the old system, people will 12A*s has the best chances of getting in. But now those people are gonna be replaced by people with eight 9s, or maybe twelve 9s, or five 9s? I'm only asking because I'm determined to get into Oxbridge, but I'm sure how far off I am from getting being qualified.

Thanks in advance!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think GCSEs matter too much for Cambridge? It seems that GCSEs wouldn’t be too reflective of how well you would do in a degree.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you get as many as possible, simply for your own self confidence in getting the courage to even apply in the first place. That is one of the blocks and reasons oxbridge barely even get the combined application numbers of Nottingham, Alot of people just dont apply because they dont feel they are smart enough, having all 9s or close will give you self confidence, in addition to your high predictions it gives you the feeling of a shot, which it may get you an interview but the process from there on out is 100 percent at the whim of the admissions process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    I would advise you get as many as possible, simply for your own self confidence in getting the courage to even apply in the first place. That is one of the blocks and reasons oxbridge barely even get the combined application numbers of Nottingham, Alot of people just dont apply because they dont feel they are smart enough, having all 9s or close will give you self confidence, in addition to your high predictions it gives you the feeling of a shot, which it may get you an interview but the process from there on out is 100 percent at the whim of the admissions process.
    It's more than people not being smart enough. The rejection rates are off-putting, when thousands of people with perfect applications get rejected you begin to doubt yourself. Also, the vast, vast majority of students want the traditional university experience, even if they were told their chances into Oxbridge were excellent, most wouldn't be tempted. TSR doesn't reflect reality, most here are very academic. Overall, It's probably for the best, if you're truly bright you'll excel anywhere you go, and a three year crippling Oxbridge workload is not right for most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYaar)
    It's more than people not being smart enough. The rejection rates are off-putting, when thousands of people with perfect applications get rejected you begin to doubt yourself. Also, the vast, vast majority of students want the traditional university experience, even if they were told their chances into Oxbridge were excellent, most wouldn't be tempted. TSR doesn't reflect reality, most here are very academic. Overall, It's probably for the best, if you're truly bright you'll excel anywhere you go, and a three year crippling Oxbridge workload is not right for most people.
    Primarily it does boil down to intelligence and work ethic.thats what oxbridge deems as criteria for being smart.

OP does need the self confidence just like anyone to apply. Not sure what your response was worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
    I don’t think GCSEs matter too much for Cambridge? It seems that GCSEs wouldn’t be too reflective of how well you would do in a degree.
    If you dont literally do GCSE in your sleep... oxbridge isnt for you... hell the normal Russell group might not be for you...School is piss easy if your smart at that level.

ReputationRep:
    Primarily it does boil down to intelligence and work ethic.thats what oxbridge deems as criteria for being smart.

OP does need the self confidence just like anyone to apply. Not sure what your response was worth?
    Ok genius

ReputationRep:
    If you dont literally do GCSE in your sleep... oxbridge isnt for you... hell the normal Russell group might not be for you...School is piss easy if your smart at that level.
    But there are people who have gotten into Cambridge with Bs, Cs and Ds at GCSE, but As and A*s at A Level?

ReputationRep:
    But there are people who have gotten into Cambridge with Bs, Cs and Ds at GCSE, but As and A*s at A Level?
    There are always special cases, but looking at the overall picture these cases are likely extremely rare.

Generally academic progression from GSCE to A* students comes from students who aced there GSCE's.

ReputationRep:
    There are always special cases, but looking at the overall picture these cases are likely extremely rare.

Generally academic progression from GSCE to A* students comes from students who aced there GSCE's.
    OK. That’s good to know because I would like to go to Cambridge in September 2020.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    OK. That’s good to know because I would like to go to Cambridge in September 2020.
    Its still worth an application definitely, but from the standpoint of someone who hasnt taken their GCSE's as of yet, the strategy of achieving the highest possible mark if your goal is oxbridge is highly advisable.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.