Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So the university ive been to for the majority of my first year has recently released there new prospectus and it got me thinking about the expectations of university and the actual reality of it and how not to fall in a bunch of traps I fell into when choosing my university. This is also kind of geared towards current UCAS applications in a format that might be able to help you.

So to put it blunt I've composed a list of all the things I've found out so far in my first year. p.s. I can't live a 1000 lives, this is only my experience. Take it with a pinch of salt.

An open day can be entirely different to your experience
    The uni I'm at has open days almost every week and I came out of my open day there thinking the campus was pretty, quite which I liked and the accommodation was good.
    I found that the uni was a clubbing hub and that my accommodation to put it kindly was a bit rubbish and I'm looking forward to getting my own house next year. That's not to say everything was different and overall i've had a pretty great time so far but not in the ways I expected. A good start is to ask students what they think of the place and ultimately ask for there honest opinion.

Advertising, mainly pictures and videos of a university are normally swayed to give the best impression
    Lovely summers day, lots of people out and about, sitting in the grass eating there hummus with a biodegradable spoon.
    What they didn't mention was the asbestos xD.

Location does matter
    Unless you have a car/bike, are willing to pay petrol for it and have a paid for parking space at your accommodation you need to check if you'll have to pay £200+ for a train ticket back home. Going to a university in Aberdeen after living in Portsmouth probably isn't a good idea even if you did get an offer. I'm not saying you can't, just please consider it.

Accommodation isn't everything but you should seriously consider it
    Uni halls are normally only for your 1st year, if you draw the short straw then it's not going to end your world. Generally I found I got along very well with my housemates but ultimately consider what the students think of each group of halls, they will probably be more honest about that than there own courses and y'know what quite often there right.

Note for UCAS applicants
    Overall I don't want to say lower your expectations because that sounds a bit glum and not entirely accurate, it is what you make of it really but if you are to grasp anything don't think of university as your only option and certainly try not to narrow your mind so much that you have your mind set on only 1 university and anything less is not worth it.

forenote
    i'd love to hear other peoples opinions on this and if they agree/disagree with anything i've said as these kind of things can get quite opinionated.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by profjb)
    So the university ive been to for the majority of my first year has recently released there new prospectus and it got me thinking about the expectations of university and the actual reality of it and how not to fall in a bunch of traps I fell into when choosing my university. This is also kind of geared towards current UCAS applications in a format that might be able to help you.

So to put it blunt I've composed a list of all the things I've found out so far in my first year. p.s. I can't live a 1000 lives, this is only my experience. Take it with a pinch of salt.

The uni I'm at has open days almost every week and I came out of my open day there thinking the campus was pretty, quite which I liked and the accommodation was good.
    I found that the uni was a clubbing hub and that my accommodation to put it kindly was a bit rubbish and I'm looking forward to getting my own house next year. That's not to say everything was different and overall i've had a pretty great time so far but not in the ways I expected. A good start is to ask students what they think of the place and ultimately ask for there honest opinion.

Advertising, mainly pictures and videos of a university are normally swayed to give the best impression
    Lovely summers day, lots of people out and about, sitting in the grass eating there hummus with a biodegradable spoon.

Location does matter
    Unless you have a car/bike, are willing to pay petrol for it and have a paid for parking space at your accommodation you need to check if you'll have to pay £200+ for a train ticket back home. Going to a university in Aberdeen after living in Portsmouth probably isn't a good idea even if you did get an offer. I'm not saying you can't, just please consider it.

Uni halls are normally only for your 1st year, if you draw the short straw then it's not going to end your world. Generally I found I got along very well with my housemates but ultimately consider what the students think of each group of halls, they will probably be more honest about that than there own courses and y'know what quite often there right.

Note for UCAS applicants
    Overall I don't want to say lower your expectations because that sounds a bit glum and not entirely accurate, it is what you make of it really but if you are to grasp anything don't think of university as your only option and certainly try not to narrow your mind so much that you have your mind set on only 1 university and anything less is not worth it.

forenote
    i'd love to hear other peoples opinions on this and if they agree/disagree with anything i've said as these kind of things can get quite opinionated.

Some good insights and it works both ways. I would definitely suggest doing research, being aware of uni spin and visiting with a friend so you can see the place, but have someones opinion to fall back on and that you can rely on.

I think accommodation is variable, but Im surprised more people dont tic general availability and cost.

Good advice though, OP.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by profjb)

Location does matter

Note for UCAS applicants

forenote
    I can relate with the point about advertising material Edinburgh uses a lot of shots of the city in their promotional photos and a rather beautiful shot of Old College (the one that has a nice patch of lawn in the middle), but in reality, unless you're studying Law, none of your lectures are there

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.