Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Due to inadequate industries and factories in my country (Ghana), offering BSc. Chemistry sounds like a waste of time .
    I feel useless and I don't know whether to continue or stop and apply for a new undergraduate course but I have a passion for it.
    what should I do?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by patamz)
    Due to inadequate industries and factories in my country (Ghana), offering BSc. Chemistry sounds like a waste of time .
    I feel useless and I don't know whether to continue or stop and apply for a new undergraduate course but I have a passion for it.
    what should I do?
    Sorry what is it you have a passion for? Why did you choose chem if it didn't interest you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Sorry what is it you have a passion for? Why did you choose chem if it didn't interest you?
    i have a passion for chem but society discourages me and i'm worried
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    i have a passion for chem but society discourages me and i'm worried
    I don't know how things work in your country unfortunately but in the UK we always advise people to pick what interests them. If you need a degree that will get you a job then pick one that interests you that is suitable. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    what should I do?
    I am an IT student, second yh actually. I'm from Ghana as well but came to the UK like 6yrs ago.
    I have dreams of going back home and establishing something like IT related, but I guineally don't know how ot what to do.
    I mean I've heard the Chinese and Indians are dominating the trading and business sectors in the country. it just makes it hard to think if s future back home.

but in all honesty, just do what you love. study chemistry. you never know what opportunities might be waiting for you in the near future. Ghana is changing do hope for the best
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gifty.t)
    I am an IT student, second yh actually. I'm from Ghana as well but came to the UK like 6yrs ago.
    I have dreams of going back home and establishing something like IT related, but I guineally don't know how ot what to do.
    I mean I've heard the Chinese and Indians are dominating the trading and business sectors in the country. it just makes it hard to think if s future back home.

but in all honesty, just do what you love. study chemistry. you never know what opportunities might be waiting for you in the near future. Ghana is changing do hope for the best
    Thanks sissy, this is something serious to discuss.
    the only good degrees accepted in Ghana is medicine and law. this mentality must change .
    i like the part you said "you never know what opportunities might be waiting for you in the near future".
    put in more effort and you will see your dreams come true

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sissy, this is something serious to discuss.
    the only good degrees accepted in Ghana is medicine and law. this mentality must change .
    i like the part you said "you never know what opportunities might be waiting for you in the near future".
    put in more effort and you will see your dreams come true
    you're so right. it just hard to get people to be on the same page as you.
    Ghana could be one of the greatest African countries. There are so many intelligent passionate young individuals but we don't have the resources to make it work.
    I have a friend who studies medicine back in Ghana. He says recourses are limited so everything is text books based. it really breaks my heart.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Feel for you guys, been in a similar situation.
    I'm from Eastern Europe and got an engineer degree, but never made it to got a decent job in my home country, so i was forced to move and trying my chances somewhere else.Never thought i will be working for a company named Serbskaya svaya , but they turned out to be solid guys, with character and decent attitude for doing the job right and to follow the rules. Most of all - they make you to follow them and they do follow them as well - you get all the equipment and your salary on time. So, if you do your job properly, you are treated with proper attitude. If you feel ready, you might try it.
    I always say to myself, that you always can come back, but sometimes it's even better to get international work experience to get a job in your homeland, so don't be upset and take what life is giving you.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.