Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...t-B/Arenes.pdf

I don't get 6a and 6b.

for 6a, I thought can I put 2,4,6-trinitrophenol as that can be produced using conc. HNO3, but in this question they mention dilute HNO3

for 6b this is the markscheme
    Mr phenol (C6H6O) = 94.0 (1) Mr 4-nitrophenol (C6H5NO3 ) = 139.0 (1) expected mass/moles of nitrophenol from 100 g = 148 g/1.06 mol (or ecf from wrong Mrs) (1) at 27% yield gives 40 / 39.9 (g) (or ecf) (1) 4 last mark is for 0.27 × expected mass to 2 or 3 sf

ReputationRep:
    6a the ease of nitration of phenol vs benzene is on the new OCR A spec. as is the difference in the reaction conditions.

6b that's an AS calculation on a Y13 reaction. Why hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    6a the ease of nitration of phenol vs benzene is on the new OCR A spec. as is the difference in the reaction conditions.

6b that's an AS calculation on a Y13 reaction. Why hard?
    6a. I get that but I was wondering if I draw phenol with 3 NO2 on it on positions 2,4,6 would it be correct? I have checked the markscheme but there's not drawing of the molecule on there.

6b. I don't get it whenever a yield is mentioned in the question, and when looking at the markscheme didn't help.
    If you can shed some light

ReputationRep:
    ??? Pigster charco

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemquestion)
    6a. I get that but I was wondering if I draw phenol with 3 NO2 on it on positions 2,4,6 would it be correct? I have checked the markscheme but there's not drawing of the molecule on there.

6b. I don't get it whenever a yield is mentioned in the question, and when looking at the markscheme didn't help.
    If you can shed some light
    6a, the Q gives 2 and 4 nitrophenol as possible answers and asks you for another. The Q checks whether you think 6-nitrophenol is possible. But, that is just 2- again. The only one left (that is mononitrated) is 3- (even if that is unlikely).

The MS says "Correct structure of 3-nitrophenol or any multiple nitrated phenol" Why would you ask whether 2,4,6-tri is allowable?

To calculate a yield, you compare (divide) what mass is actually made by how much could have been made (doing a normal molar calc.) and then multiply by 100.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.