I avoid using the kitchen the same time as my housemates...anyone else? Watch

NotNotBatman
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
it’s a pain being like this isn’t it? i just wish i could go into the kitchen not worryining what my housemates will think about the way i cook.
It is very annoying, i just wish i could stop over thinking.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Yeah it was a slight issue but I was fortunate enough with my situation. I suppose it isn't great to run away from problems but sometimes it works out.
Honestly who cares, it’s your decision if you’d rather have your own kitchen to cook in. I just wonder if i’d ever be able to cook in front of my family or husband or children in the future (if i plan on getting married and having children lol)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
Yea, I did this in my first year which is why now I live in a studio. You may want to start speaking to them though. They probably aren't that bad.
I don’t have problems talking to them, it’s just being in the kitchen the same time as them while i’m cooking
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rockrunride)
Yeah I don't like sharing kitchen space either and I'm long out of uni. Less about the cooking, just feels like you're getting in each other's way. Perfectly normal
Lol for me it’s both the cooking and getting in each other’s way
Anonymous #1
(Original post by unprinted)
I spent two years living with someone and only once saw them eating.
maybe they’re anxious about eating in front of others?
Anonymous #1
yall socially awkward if you cant even say hello first
i don’t have problems saying hello to them and having a conversation but if i’m alone in the kitchen cooking and they suddenly come in and start cooking as well it’s a bit annoying :/
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
Honestly who cares, it’s your decision if you’d rather have your own kitchen to cook in. I just wonder if i’d ever be able to cook in front of my family or husband or children in the future (if i plan on getting married and having children lol)
That's a good point. I actually always avoided cooking for my last boyfriend because I didn't want him watching me cook and I also didn't want him to not enjoy my food. We'd sometimes cook at his together but I lacked a lot of confidence in my cooking abilities and just let him do most of the work.
I think because I've always been self conscious and therefore always avoided spending lengths of time in the kitchen, I'm now only able to cook small easy meals because I've never given myself the opportunity to develop my cooking techniques. Which is just a vicious cycle. If I knew how to cook and had confidence I wouldn't mind cooking in front of others. But I never want to put myself in the position to develop my skills. Wow I'm rambling lol.
I can't wait to move out and live on my own. That's when I'll finally learn to cook properly.
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm introverted as heck, but there's no way I'd put off eating to avoid someone.

#Foodispriority
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I don’t like using the kitchen at the same time as my housemates, often i’ll wait until they’ve left so i can use it. Today i was cooking and my housemate came back and he started cooking as well, it felt a bit awkward because i feel like they’re judging the way i cook? I know this is very odd behaviour but i was wondering if anyone felt the same? Because of this i tend to batch cook things so i don’t have to spend as long in the kitchen on other days and run into my housemates while i’m making food.
My flatmate used to do this - we all thought there was something wrong with her. (Not 'weirdness', genuine concern something was going on in her life). I think she just liked her own privacy.

We also had quite a mean other flatmate who did used to judge what you cooked. Once I cooked pasta (just pasta) without sauce (I had none and really could not be bothered walking up the massive hill you needed to walk up to the shops, especially because it was only to a corner shop where they'd charge you an arm and a leg for it anyway) and she shouted at me, telling me 'it wasn't a proper dinner' and that I needed to 'add something to it to make it a meal'. I told her I was an adult and I could eat what I wanted and she just kept telling me it wasn't a proper meal throughout me eating it. Strange girl.

In hindsight I wonder whether our other flatmate avoided the kitchen to avoid her... I wish I had.

Maybe a solution would be to 'run into' your flatmates just at the end of their meals? It's not healthy to avoid them, but I hate cooking when the kitchen is busy. Maybe go down there when they're cooking so that when they are using the hob, you can talk to them and cook after them, when they've left/are eating their meal elsewhere?
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
I can understand it to a point, but honestly you should care less. the only thing I would find a bit awkward is the freedom of having the kitchen to yourself, but in a student house you need to be with friends. So yes about space, but no about what they might think.

The danger is it adds to your anxiety and blunts your social skills, then you start hiding in your room etc. Having your own kitchen is cool.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I don’t have problems talking to them, it’s just being in the kitchen the same time as them while i’m cooking
Unless you study the same subject, it shouldn't be that hard to find times to avoid being in the kitchen with them. I used to cook in mornings to achieve this.
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
Unless you study the same subject, it shouldn't be that hard to find times to avoid being in the kitchen with them. I used to cook in mornings to achieve this.
Yeah but from 5pm the kitchen is always going to start getting a bit busy as people prepare their dinners.
Anonymous #1
That's a good point. I actually always avoided cooking for my last boyfriend because I didn't want him watching me cook and I also didn't want him to not enjoy my food. We'd sometimes cook at his together but I lacked a lot of confidence in my cooking abilities and just let him do most of the work.
I think because I've always been self conscious and therefore always avoided spending lengths of time in the kitchen, I'm now only able to cook small easy meals because I've never given myself the opportunity to develop my cooking techniques. Which is just a vicious cycle. If I knew how to cook and had confidence I wouldn't mind cooking in front of others. But I never want to put myself in the position to develop my skills. Wow I'm rambling lol.
I can't wait to move out and live on my own. That's when I'll finally learn to cook properly.
Exactly how i feel. Id love to develop my cooking skills further but i don’t want to spend ages in the kitchen in case my housemates walk in and see me cooking. I can’t wait to live on my own either, being able to cook freely makes me look forward to it
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bulletzone)
I'm introverted as heck, but there's no way I'd put off eating to avoid someone.

#Foodispriority
I just end up waiting until they leave the kitchen, sometimes i end up cooking at midnight :/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lizolove)
My flatmate used to do this - we all thought there was something wrong with her. (Not 'weirdness', genuine concern something was going on in her life). I think she just liked her own privacy.

We also had quite a mean other flatmate who did used to judge what you cooked. Once I cooked pasta (just pasta) without sauce (I had none and really could not be bothered walking up the massive hill you needed to walk up to the shops, especially because it was only to a corner shop where they'd charge you an arm and a leg for it anyway) and she shouted at me, telling me 'it wasn't a proper dinner' and that I needed to 'add something to it to make it a meal'. I told her I was an adult and I could eat what I wanted and she just kept telling me it wasn't a proper meal throughout me eating it. Strange girl.

In hindsight I wonder whether our other flatmate avoided the kitchen to avoid her... I wish I had.

Maybe a solution would be to 'run into' your flatmates just at the end of their meals? It's not healthy to avoid them, but I hate cooking when the kitchen is busy. Maybe go down there when they're cooking so that when they are using the hob, you can talk to them and cook after them, when they've left/are eating their meal elsewhere?
Yeah it may have been her avoiding that one particular housemate. Yes i realise it’s not healthy, i can’t seem to get out of this behaviour though :/ Also even if my housemates are in the living room downstairs i won’t go into the kitchen. Idk what’s wrong with me tbh.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
I can understand it to a point, but honestly you should care less. the only thing I would find a bit awkward is the freedom of having the kitchen to yourself, but in a student house you need to be with friends. So yes about space, but no about what they might think.

The danger is it adds to your anxiety and blunts your social skills, then you start hiding in your room etc. Having your own kitchen is cool.
I know what you mean, at this point i shouldn’t care, ive ran into them in the kitchen numerous times and they’ve actually complimented my cooking but i still feel awkward. When i was cooking yesterday and my housemate came in it became less awkward when i realised he wasn’t going to judge the way i cook and we were just talking about something completely unrelated to cooking.
KaylaB
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I just end up waiting until they leave the kitchen, sometimes i end up cooking at midnight :/
Honestly this is a bad thing to get into, this is coming from someone who didn't use to go into the kitchen until 3-5 am just so I knew no one was in there.

First it's not wanting to be in the kitchen the next it's not wanting to be seen at all and not going to uni - sounds drastic but it happens, trust me

I know it's what everyone says but it's true, the only way to get more comfortable being in there is to do it more often, the more exposure you get and see that it's not something to worry about the more inclined you'll be to do it again. If all else fails fake it til ya make it
Anonymous #1
I find it hard to get up early to cook, ive figured out that my housemates are usually not around from 6pm-midnight so i cook around that time, but my other housemate who is in most of the time cooks around 7pm so i usually wait until 9/10pm to cook :/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KaylaB)
Honestly this is a bad thing to get into, this is coming from someone who didn't use to go into the kitchen until 3-5 am just so I knew no one was in there.

First it's not wanting to be in the kitchen the next it's not wanting to be seen at all and not going to uni - sounds drastic but it happens, trust me

I know it's what everyone says but it's true, the only way to get more comfortable being in there is to do it more often, the more exposure you get and see that it's not something to worry about the more inclined you'll be to do it again. If all else fails fake it til ya make it
Lol relax, sometimes i end up cooking at midnight but it’s very rare tbh, im fine cooking around 10pm. I’m in second year and i’ve been like this since beginning of first year, it’s never affected my decision to go to lectures. Also i don’t have problems with being seen. This is just related to cooking. I will try and get more comfortable using the kitchen when others are around
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lizolove)

You ate plain pasta?

Sorry but the flatmate is right that isn't a meal at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
28.33%
No (86)
71.67%

Watched Threads