Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I avoid using the kitchen the same time as my housemates...anyone else? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Honestly this is a bad thing to get into, this is coming from someone who didn't use to go into the kitchen until 3-5 am just so I knew no one was in there.

First it's not wanting to be in the kitchen the next it's not wanting to be seen at all and not going to uni - sounds drastic but it happens, trust me

I know it's what everyone says but it's true, the only way to get more comfortable being in there is to do it more often, the more exposure you get and see that it's not something to worry about the more inclined you'll be to do it again. If all else fails fake it til ya make it
    3-5am, ridiculous time.

(And then another flatmate walks in to have breakfast! Can't I cook in peace?)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    3-5am, ridiculous time.

(And then another flatmate walks in to have breakfast! Can't I cook in peace?)
    Yeah I wasn't having the best time back then :lol:

It wouldn't so much be them waking up for breakfast at that time as none of my 10 housemates saw before 8am, it would be sometimes if they were coming back from a night out! Or if they were sneaking into the kitchen for a snack in the middle of the night themselves and got the shock of their lives :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Take 2 slices of bread with you each time you enter the kitchen.

When things are inevitably awkward, distract by turning them into an idiot sandwich.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know what you mean, at this point i shouldn’t care, ive ran into them in the kitchen numerous times and they’ve actually complimented my cooking but i still feel awkward. When i was cooking yesterday and my housemate came in it became less awkward when i realised he wasn’t going to judge the way i cook and we were just talking about something completely unrelated to cooking.
    The point I was trying to make is that theres an inconvenience side which is understandable, but shouldnt stop you being ok with cooking whether they are there or not.

In contrast there is a social phobia side, which if you dont address leads you into unhealthy paths of behaviour and you consider it as the norm, then it starts to affect other aspects of your life. It is negative, so beware you dont go down that route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    You ate plain pasta?

Sorry but the flatmate is right that isn't a meal at all.
    When you don't have any sauce, you do what you have to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it may have been her avoiding that one particular housemate. Yes i realise it’s not healthy, i can’t seem to get out of this behaviour though :/ Also even if my housemates are in the living room downstairs i won’t go into the kitchen. Idk what’s wrong with me tbh.
    It's a tricky one. As I said, try and make yourself spend time with them in the kitchen, even if you do intend on eating later - that what it will become less daunting and hopefully you can gradually move to a place in your mind where it is a possibility. I.e. 1) spend time with them as they cook, 2) eventually start to cook as they're finishing their cooking/eating their meals and then 3) hopefully you won't care any more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don’t like using the kitchen at the same time as my housemates, often i’ll wait until they’ve left so i can use it. Today i was cooking and my housemate came back and he started cooking as well, it felt a bit awkward because i feel like they’re judging the way i cook? I know this is very odd behaviour but i was wondering if anyone felt the same? Because of this i tend to batch cook things so i don’t have to spend as long in the kitchen on other days and run into my housemates while i’m making food.
    I have a new flatmate who spends all her time in the kitchen (pretty much from 17:00 -> 22:00 sometimes) and often all four cookers are in use + the oven... I hate talking to my flatmates as we have nothing in common and I totally understand what you mean about being 'judged' whilst cooking. She stood there watching me prepare roast pork a few weeks ago...

Oh well, didums! It's a drawback of sharing a kitchen and the cost savings a studio room and a shared kitchen room is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The point I was trying to make is that theres an inconvenience side which is understandable, but shouldnt stop you being ok with cooking whether they are there or not.

In contrast there is a social phobia side, which if you dont address leads you into unhealthy paths of behaviour and you consider it as the norm, then it starts to affect other aspects of your life. It is negative, so beware you dont go down that route.
    i think it’s more of a social phobia thing, none of my housemates seem to have problems cooking when someone else is there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizolove)
    It's a tricky one. As I said, try and make yourself spend time with them in the kitchen, even if you do intend on eating later - that what it will become less daunting and hopefully you can gradually move to a place in your mind where it is a possibility. I.e. 1) spend time with them as they cook, 2) eventually start to cook as they're finishing their cooking/eating their meals and then 3) hopefully you won't care any more.
    good point. i’ll try that thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I have a new flatmate who spends all her time in the kitchen (pretty much from 17:00 -> 22:00 sometimes) and often all four cookers are in use + the oven... I hate talking to my flatmates as we have nothing in common and I totally understand what you mean about being 'judged' whilst cooking. She stood there watching me prepare roast pork a few weeks ago...

Oh well, didums! It's a drawback of sharing a kitchen and the cost savings a studio room and a shared kitchen room is worth it.
    ugh omg i had a flatmate like that who would be in the kitchen for hours!! very annoying, does she do it everyday? like i’m ok if someone spends hours in the kitchen once a week or smth, i imagine they meal prep but if it’s everday that’s very annoying
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    ugh omg i had a flatmate like that who would be in the kitchen for hours!! very annoying, does she do it everyday? like i’m ok if someone spends hours in the kitchen once a week or smth, i imagine they meal prep but if it’s everday that’s very annoying
    Pretty much every single day.

ReputationRep:
    I could care less to be honest, I go to college in the United States and we have one kitchen for 60+ of us in one house. It's good for socialization when you're having a mental breakdown over life at 3 am while someone is making ramen noodles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Pretty much every single day.
    why would she need to use all the cookers AND oven though what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quickzest)
    I could care less to be honest, I go to college in the United States and we have one kitchen for 60+ of us in one house. It's good for socialization when you're having a mental breakdown over life at 3 am while someone is making ramen noodles.
    that’s pretty crap if they can only provide one kitchen for 60+....unless you’re exaggerating

ReputationRep:
    that’s pretty crap if they can only provide one kitchen for 60+....unless you’re exaggerating
    I'm not lmao, big university = more people smushed into small spaces. Freshmen dorming consists of 12 houses with 60-70 students each depending and sorted bye major.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not lmao, big university = more people smushed into small spaces. Freshmen dorming consists of 12 houses with 60-70 students each depending and sorted bye major.
    That sucks, for us the maximum i’ve heard of living in a university flat is 11? and we’re just placed at random it’s not assigned by our course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yep, i hate eating or doing anything involving food in front of people

ReputationRep:
    That sucks, for us the maximum i’ve heard of living in a university flat is 11? and we’re just placed at random it’s not assigned by our course.
    It's really not that bad, though I suppose it depends on the individual. It's not an actual "house" per say- like it is a house but each room has 4 of us in it. And this specific community of freshmen housing are called LLC's. The goal in them was that people who are in your major//similar major(s) can help each other out with work and what not.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not that bad, though I suppose it depends on the individual. It's not an actual "house" per say- like it is a house but each room has 4 of us in it. And this specific community of freshmen housing are called LLC's. The goal in them was that people who are in your major//similar major(s) can help each other out with work and what not.
    That’s probably because you’re used to it and it’s normal in the states. Here we don’t share rooms and we don’t have to share kitchens with a lot of people depending on how many people live in the house i guess, so if we look at your living situation it doesn’t look ideal to us

ReputationRep:
    That’s probably because you’re used to it and it’s normal in the states. Here we don’t share rooms and we don’t have to share kitchens with a lot of people depending on how many people live in the house i guess, so if we look at your living situation it doesn’t look ideal to us
    I don't blame you guys, next year I'm going for a single. Also, to clarify- I don't think we use the kitchen as much as you guys do. We have 2 main cafeterias and 6-12 mini stops to get food, so most of the time the kitchen is empty unless you're making something specific (last week I made potato skins in the oven).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.