The Student Room Group

Should I see a GP?

Hi, I'd like some advice.

So I'm a 22 year old female and in October I noticed that I had a smallish lump in the space above my right collarbone. It's quite hard, completely painless, and for some odd reason has a really strong pulse which you can see pulsating.
I've only just noticed also that the top of my shoulder and bottom of my neck is also slightly more swollen than that of my left side.
I'm also really lethargic all the time but put that down to mental health issues. In addition, probably completely unrelated, for a while now I have been getting a lot of dizziness upon standing up.

So is it worth getting an appointment with my GP? It's just I'd feel embarrassed to waste their time for such a silly thing. Also the receptionist staff always ask what the appointment's for and can feel a bit judgemental.

Thank you in advance.
Go see ur gp just incase
Go to your GP and you don't have to tell the receptionist anything because it's confidential.
Been there and done that. The lump was tiny and then all of a sudden, it got rather big (it was in my armpit) and it was painful raising my arm, etc.

I ended up with minor surgery (they numbed the area and cut the cyst to drain the crap that was inside) as the antibiotics weren't doing much and were just making me ill.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'd like some advice.

So I'm a 22 year old female and in October I noticed that I had a smallish lump in the space above my right collarbone. It's quite hard, completely painless, and for some odd reason has a really strong pulse which you can see pulsating.
I've only just noticed also that the top of my shoulder and bottom of my neck is also slightly more swollen than that of my left side.
I'm also really lethargic all the time but put that down to mental health issues. In addition, probably completely unrelated, for a while now I have been getting a lot of dizziness upon standing up.

So is it worth getting an appointment with my GP? It's just I'd feel embarrassed to waste their time for such a silly thing. Also the receptionist staff always ask what the appointment's for and can feel a bit judgemental.

Thank you in advance.

Definitely worth an appointment. Lumps and bumps always are.
If the receptionist asks you can just say "I found a lump" or you can say you'd rather not say. You don't have to tell them what it is, it just helps them book the right appointment and gives the doc a heads up of what it is.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for replying, everyone.

I saw my gp today and she said it's definitely not a cyst, but isn't sure exactly what it is. She said it could be normal tissue that I hadn't previously noticed because I've lost a lot of weight recently, a lipoma, or something else. So here's hoping it's nothing sinister.

I've booked in for a blood test and have been referred for an ultrasound. I'll try to keep you updated.

Quick Reply

Latest