Turn on thread page Beta

Feel so demotivated, with low confidence after 0 job offers/reply in 6 months. watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I graduated with 2.1 in politics from a top 30 uni and also a masters with merit from Durham. Both degrees I got over 65% and was aiming for a first/distinction. I finished my masters in September yet I have yet to get a single job offer or interview. Practically everyone I graduated with last year have some kind of job or they're doing an internship and in roles you would expect graduates to be at.
    What worries me further is employers will look at my CV and realize I have nothing there since school apart from my qualifications.
    I thought having a masters would give me an advantage, but clearly not. It's been six months so far and they may be suspicious why I havent done anyting since. Of course, degrees do not have expiry dates, but its looking more and more useless as the days go one. I'm well aware my subject is not exactly tailored towards a job, but it is rather flexible when it comes to job searches - like history, or english lit grads, so neither is it a 'micky mouse' degree.

But, I'm now so done with everything that I feel like the last 4-6 years of my life ever since college was a complete waste of time. Ever since, October I've been working in a food bar serving food and drinks to customers - something I've done on the odd occasion since leaving school. I've reached the point where I could possibly see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I have applied to over 50 jobs by now and 10% have the courtesy at least to reply back to me saying I've been unsuccessful - I've come to the point where I find emails like this giving me a ray of hope, since they at least acknowledge my existence.

I don't see myself going anywhere at this point and can't think of an excuse to pin the blame on something. On the downside I am someone who has ZERO relevent experience. I don't really put down the fact that I've done work in the food industry on my cv lol. My CV is actually in fact nothing but just a list of my degrees and personal information. I've tried to 'improve' it for months but there is only so much I can do given I have so little to write about.

My regret is I never really bothered to do any kind of work while studying or during holidays. Partly because I'm from a remote village/town in north of England and didnt want to travel far to be paid peanuts. Now I'm not so picky and don't mind... But honestly, I don't think that qualifies as an excuse. I typically look for jobs in research, communications, editing and/or public affairs, but nothing has come to fruit. About 60% of my applications here are for internships and if I apply for full-time, permanent jobs I always make sure its graduate/entry level that don't demand experience or its 'desirable' not 'essential'. The paradox is I'm guessing I'm being turned down for lack of experience, but hardly any jobs will take on people without experience.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bobking)
    I'm really sorry you're in this situation and it is very demotivating. However there is a way out and practical things you can do. The first thing I noticed is that you said that you did a masters in the hope that it would make you more employable which is a common mistake. You need to go at this with the view to get a specific job rather than just listing everything you've done on your CV. The problem does seem to be at application stage so maybe get some help from here? Have you ever asked for and gotten feedback?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever gone and gotten your CV looked at or edited down? I know some applications are purely form filling but ones where a CV is required it would be useful to go to someone with experience in that area.
    With your degree - because it’s quite a general area of study - you want to show employers that there is transferability within the skills you’ve acquired. We’re you required to work for any companies/firms (whether they be volunteering or not) during either your masters or degree?
    I would also highly recommend getting LinkedIn and become very active on there - I’ve been approached for jobs through my page before and it’s a good way to show your interests without having to list them on your CV (I have a link to my account on my CV for ‘further information’).
    I would also try and explain any gaps in employment too. If we are talking more than a year without any evidence of employment, employers might find this suspicious - try and highlight how this was beneficial to you (I.e: during 2013-2014 I was focused on a variety of intricate examinations and tests which required me full time in university, therefore I was unable to work during this period).
    I would also not discount opportunities to volunteer - it’s not a step back and it’s not as easy as people think. Volunteering is a great way to show interests and even get experience in your field of interest. I know it’s difficult doing so much without pay, but you have to loosen the reigns a little now you’re struggling to find work.
    Lastly - you’re certainly NOT alone! My friend is in the same position (first class masters in chemistry) and still no job, and he graduated July 2017, so he’s going through it too, as do I believe many students are.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As well as taking on the advice of the above, maybe you should consider applying to more jobs in a shorter amount of time? You've said you have applied to 50 in 6 months, but when I was job searching, I applied to 50 in one month and in about a month and a half had 3 job offers (although this was just for a part time student job so take it with a pinch of salt).

ReputationRep:
    Degree in politics? You could get your voice heard on all things politics and people could believe you because of your degree. Plus you also have the experience of that struggle to find work.

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer in the places you want to work in?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I graduated with 2.1 in politics from a top 30 uni and also a masters with merit from Durham. Both degrees I got over 65% and was aiming for a first/distinction. I finished my masters in September yet I have yet to get a single job offer or interview. Practically everyone I graduated with last year have some kind of job or they're doing an internship and in roles you would expect graduates to be at.
    What worries me further is employers will look at my CV and realize I have nothing there since school apart from my qualifications.
    I thought having a masters would give me an advantage, but clearly not. It's been six months so far and they may be suspicious why I havent done anyting since. Of course, degrees do not have expiry dates, but its looking more and more useless as the days go one. I'm well aware my subject is not exactly tailored towards a job, but it is rather flexible when it comes to job searches - like history, or english lit grads, so neither is it a 'micky mouse' degree.

But, I'm now so done with everything that I feel like the last 4-6 years of my life ever since college was a complete waste of time. Ever since, October I've been working in a food bar serving food and drinks to customers - something I've done on the odd occasion since leaving school. I've reached the point where I could possibly see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I have applied to over 50 jobs by now and 10% have the courtesy at least to reply back to me saying I've been unsuccessful - I've come to the point where I find emails like this giving me a ray of hope, since they at least acknowledge my existence.

I don't see myself going anywhere at this point and can't think of an excuse to pin the blame on something. On the downside I am someone who has ZERO relevent experience. I don't really put down the fact that I've done work in the food industry on my cv lol. My CV is actually in fact nothing but just a list of my degrees and personal information. I've tried to 'improve' it for months but there is only so much I can do given I have so little to write about.

My regret is I never really bothered to do any kind of work while studying or during holidays. Partly because I'm from a remote village/town in north of England and didnt want to travel far to be paid peanuts. Now I'm not so picky and don't mind... But honestly, I don't think that qualifies as an excuse. I typically look for jobs in research, communications, editing and/or public affairs, but nothing has come to fruit. About 60% of my applications here are for internships and if I apply for full-time, permanent jobs I always make sure its graduate/entry level that don't demand experience or its 'desirable' not 'essential'. The paradox is I'm guessing I'm being turned down for lack of experience, but hardly any jobs will take on people without experience.
    First thing that comes across is how miserable you sound. I am sorry for you.

Second thing - get a train and head off to London - look at working for the house of commons or something like that. Loads of jobs - just take any job - even cleaning if necessary to get yourself on the job ladder.

Put down your work in the food industry - it is work. I put down that I worked in Asda - it shows that you are capable of even doing lowly jobs. Pride comes before a fall you know.

And for heavens sake perk up - it will come right

ReputationRep:
    I think the main problem is that you dont have any real world experience in the field that you want to work in, it would be better if you looked around at specific firms where you could volunteer, you might not get paid, but it will build your cv up.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself and unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for graduates to find themselves here due to lack of skills and experience.

You’ve really hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph about work experience. Employers need you to be able to demonstrate that you have experience and skills that they need and that employing you will bring something new and positive to their organisation. Finding paid work experience placements is incredibly difficult and many people volunteer their free time to gain the relevant skills they need and build their CV.

I’m unsure if you wish to pursue a career in politics but you could always consider getting involved in local party politics as a campaigner as a starting point.

Having a careers adviser look over your CV would be helpful and possibly seeking more long term support with employment in your local area through our service could be beneficial too. You can give us a call on 0800 100 900 to discuss booking your free face-to-face appointment. If you would prefer to chat with us through TSR we’re happy to help.

Best of luck – Sophie.

ReputationRep:
    The people here don't know what they're talking about. Show up to the house of commons looking for work? Seriously?! What planet do you morons live in.
    Fact is a masters counts for nothing unless it's specific and required for a job.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.