Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    so I started this year (year 12) off hoping to study Computing at university, my choice of a levels were Computing, Maths, Physics.

However since around December time I've really developed a disliking to computing (probably because of how crap my teacher is) and my initial interest of medicine has resparked and over the past few months I've grown more and more into medicine. The problem is I need Chemistry/Biology to do pretty much anything relating to medicine, so I need to decide if I want to re-do year 12 with those subjects.

The thing is I have a love/interest for how the body works, how diseases impact the body and just learning overall about the human body in depth (immune system, cell function, genes etc) and thought of doing a medicine degree, however after reading about what being a doctor is really like (the stress of the job, having hardly any social/free time, working overtime regularly, constantly being tired because of a hectic schedule) it's really put me off doing medicine, I don't think I can manage it personally and don't think going through a medicine degree (which I think I'd love) and then regretting it when I do my FYs is worth the trouble

I've also looked at Biochemistry and Biomedical science which also look appealing to me, however I've heard they're known as degree which "failed" doctors do and there aren't many job opportunities with those degrees. Plus I heard a lot of people who do them go on to do Post graduate medicine degrees. The degree content for Biomedical science does look interesting, and is kinda the thing im wanting.

i know I'm quite stupid, I for some reason change my mind really easily and find it hard to decide what the hell to do. i need to decide whether to restart the year at a different school or just ride it on, hoping when the time comes I'll just force myself to like computer science. near the start of the year I dropped my 4th subject which was biology because it was least related to what I wanted to do at uni, which just shows how stupid I can be when it comes to making rash decisions so I don't want a repeat of that.

I'm torn between what to do now and feel embarrassed that I've come to this stage, not knowing what I want to do with my life when a lot of my peers have decided what they want to do. I don't think I was well prepared at secondary school and feel i was just tossed into sixth form with teachers wanting everyone to be dead set on what they want to do at uni.

So I guess what I'm looking for is just advice. What kind of things can I do with a Biomedical science degree, is it worth doing in terms of career opportunities available or not? What kind of things jobs can I even do with a Biomedical degree? Should I even pursue a degree in the medical field or just ride out the rest of sixth form (and probably inevitably regret not retaking and choosing chemistry/bio). Would unis dislike the fact I retook year 12 and be less likely to accept me because of that?

PS: The computer science department at my current sixth form is absolutely terrible. even last year the only grades were A and C, most people got a C. I thought I'd enjoy computer science but the class is complete crap, I don't think I'll manage to get anything over an E, which is why I'm more in favour of restarting
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC1T2)
    Hey guys,
    so I started this year (year 12) off hoping to study Computing at university, my choice of a levels were Computing, Maths, Physics.

However since around December time I've really developed a disliking to computing (probably because of how crap my teacher is) and my initial interest of medicine has resparked and over the past few months I've grown more and more into medicine. The problem is I need Chemistry/Biology to do pretty much anything relating to medicine, so I need to decide if I want to re-do year 12 with those subjects.

The thing is I have a love/interest for how the body works, how diseases impact the body and just learning overall about the human body in depth (immune system, cell function, genes etc) and thought of doing a medicine degree, however after reading about what being a doctor is really like (the stress of the job, having hardly any social/free time, working overtime regularly, constantly being tired because of a hectic schedule) it's really put me off doing medicine, I don't think I can manage it personally and don't think going through a medicine degree (which I think I'd love) and then regretting it when I do my FYs is worth the trouble

I've also looked at Biochemistry and Biomedical science which also look appealing to me, however I've heard they're known as degree which "failed" doctors do and there aren't many job opportunities with those degrees. Plus I heard a lot of people who do them go on to do Post graduate medicine degrees. The degree content for Biomedical science does look interesting, and is kinda the thing im wanting.

i know I'm quite stupid, I for some reason change my mind really easily and find it hard to decide what the hell to do. i need to decide whether to restart the year at a different school or just ride it on, hoping when the time comes I'll just force myself to like computer science. near the start of the year I dropped my 4th subject which was biology because it was least related to what I wanted to do at uni, which just shows how stupid I can be when it comes to making rash decisions so I don't want a repeat of that.

I'm torn between what to do now and feel embarrassed that I've come to this stage, not knowing what I want to do with my life when a lot of my peers have decided what they want to do. I don't think I was well prepared at secondary school and feel i was just tossed into sixth form with teachers wanting everyone to be dead set on what they want to do at uni.

So I guess what I'm looking for is just advice. What kind of things can I do with a Biomedical science degree, is it worth doing in terms of career opportunities available or not? What kind of things jobs can I even do with a Biomedical degree? Should I even pursue a degree in the medical field or just ride out the rest of sixth form (and probably inevitably regret not retaking and choosing chemistry/bio). Would unis dislike the fact I retook year 12 and be less likely to accept me because of that?

PS: The computer science department at my current sixth form is absolutely terrible. even last year the only grades were A and C, most people got a C. I thought I'd enjoy computer science but the class is complete crap, I don't think I'll manage to get anything over an E, which is why I'm more in favour of restarting
    If your not enjoying your subjects then, my advice is you should restart. Like you I'm in year 12 and still don't know what I want to do as a career. I was always told in school " if you don't know what you want to do in uni or as a career then just pick subjects that you like and enjoy, because they will most likely send you on a career path you will also enjoy", that's what I did.

If your not enjoying your subjects now then it's most likely to send you on a career path your also not going to enjoy.

As for whether or not university will be less likely to accept you, I don't know but I seriously doubt it.

My final advice is, you should do what makes you happy and what you have an interest in. I hope this helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AC1T2)
    ... and thought of doing a medicine degree, however after reading about what being a doctor is really like (the stress of the job, having hardly any social/free time, working overtime regularly, constantly being tired because of a hectic schedule) it's really put me off doing medicine
    Its tough and does consume your life yes, although that is true of quite a few careers. If you actually were at all interested organising some work experience is your best bet*.

But as you observe, medicine is not the only degree to study the human body. Far from it! In fact, med students have to spend a lot of time studying vocational stuff that isn't really related to science at all, unlike some other degrees.

The degree content for Biomedical science does look interesting, and is kinda the thing im wanting.
    Yes, and i think this is your best option from what you say

Yes it does have a bit of a reputation of the degree failed medics turn to, but that is far from universally true. Remember that you can do biomedical science at Oxford, UCL etc - tough degrees with high entry requirements and very competitive entry!

There are other degree titles out there that may interest you too. You mentioned biochemistry which is true - more on the molecular side rather than whole systems. Slightly more applied is genetics, or you can look at drug action and synthesis in pharmacology, or a host of others.

They can lead to a wide variety of careers. The most obvious are in medical/pharmacology research. A degree at a uni like Oxford is entirely geared up to preparing you for that. There are options in the NHS, and just like other degrees they can be more broadly applicable and keep your options open or grad jobs in other fields.

Obviously ensure this is actually what you want, but it seems that changing directions is your best bet.

*IF you did look into medicine more: One thing to consider is that med schools generally say they don't accept a-levels taken over 3 years rather than 2. Now i think biology would be ok for you as you dropped it quickly, but i don't know what their specific rules would be for your other subjects. You may have to do 3 new subjects that aren't ones you've done this year. I would look on individual websites and contact individual med schools if needs be for clarification. Requirements can vary a lot so contact a few.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AC1T2)
    Have you thought about doing biomedical sciences then doing a physicians associate course?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.