Turn on thread page Beta

Is a Masters in Education (MEd) not viewed highly? What about MSc in Education? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am really interested in educational studies but do not wish to go for PGCE/QTS right now.

I have heard a couple of bad reviews about the validity of a MEd, so it would be great to get feedback from students, recruiters etc on the course! Is it seen as a "pointless" masters in the UK?

I also see options for MSc in Education which might be more respected and open more doors? But again, intrigued to find out more about course content.

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlie)
    Hello

I am really interested in educational studies but do not wish to go for PGCE/QTS right now.

I have heard a couple of bad reviews about the validity of a MEd, so it would be great to get feedback from students, recruiters etc on the course! Is it seen as a "pointless" masters in the UK?

I also see options for MSc in Education which might be more respected and open more doors? But again, intrigued to find out more about course content.

Thank you so much!
    It depends on what your long term career goal is. If you want to be a teacher, the MEd isn't really worth it because schools want someone who is PGCE/QTS trained because of the amount of classroom experience and teaching you do on a PGCE/QTS course.

You can still go into teaching without a PGCE/QTS but you would be on a unqualified teacher's pay which isn't much higher than what a HLTA gets paid.

If you want to go into academia, going on to do a PhD, then I think it is worth doing the masters as a stepping stone into that route.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking more along the lines of community work, or academia rather than classroom teaching, so taking PGCE out of the equation, but still a little confused regarding MEd vs MSc - i guess the practical/theoretical element will be different in each.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.