Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. Bit of a strange question perhaps, but I'm taking my son along to the RVC's Open Day this year in the capacity of his 'guest' (as he will be just 15 by then, and he needs somebody to drive him to Hertfordshire if nothing else!). However, the last thing I want to do is be a looming parental presence dogging his footsteps wherever he goes...

Has anybody been to one of these Open Days before and happen to know if minors need to be accompanied at all times whilst on campus? Would I be better advised to stay right in the background, or just leave him to his own devices altogether?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jussell)
    Hi all. Bit of a strange question perhaps, but I'm taking my son along to the RVC's Open Day this year in the capacity of his 'guest' (as he will be just 15 by then, and he needs somebody to drive him to Hertfordshire if nothing else!). However, the last thing I want to do is be a looming parental presence dogging his footsteps wherever he goes...

Has anybody been to one of these Open Days before and happen to know if minors need to be accompanied at all times whilst on campus? Would I be better advised to stay right in the background, or just leave him to his own devices altogether?

Cant speak for vet days, but for open days in general then its very common for parents to attend as well. I expect it will be 100% fine and there will be other parents there as well, some of them asking questions and pointing things out to their sons and daughters. A second opinion is valuable and it would be good for you to look around as well.

Just play it by ear. I expect parents and guests are made welcome as well. You are doing him a service by chauffering him there. You always have the opportunity if you get bored or want to hang back of just going for a coffee, but I expect youd find it interesting as well. When you spot other parents there then you will relax. Will be fine am sure.

If you are worried then just contact the organisers and they will say not to worry and you will be welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I have been as a guest to vet school open days at RVC, Liverpool, Nottingham, Surrey, Edinburgh and Glasgow. At all of them most of the prospective students had guests with them, it is totally normal and I would suggest necessary as your son may want to talk through decisions with you about where he applies to/firms etc and it is much better if you have seen the uni and heard the talks in my opinion. Guests were not allowed on the bus to Leahurst on the Liverpool day or one of the tours on the Surrey day due to constraints with numbers so the uni will tell you if there is anything you can't go on.

If you are going to the RVC day you might want to visit the Camden campus as well as the field station. Again, I would suggest you would want to go with him? We left the car at Potters Bar station and took a train into London, again, as I remember nearly everyone had at least one adult with them

I hope that helps. Enjoy if you do do. I certainly did!

(Original post by jussell)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Cant speak for vet days, but for open days in general then its very common for parents to attend as well. I expect it will be 100% fine and there will be other parents there as well, some of them asking questions and pointing things out to their sons and daughters. A second opinion is valuable and it would be good for you to look around as well.

Just play it by ear. I expect parents and guests are made welcome as well. You are doing him a service by chauffering him there. You always have the opportunity if you get bored or want to hang back of just going for a coffee, but I expect youd find it interesting as well. When you spot other parents there then you will relax. Will be fine am sure.

If you are worried then just contact the organisers and they will say not to worry and you will be welcome.
    Hi 999tigger, thank you for replying.

It's a relief to hear that parents attend open days too! (I studied with the OU, no open day for me lol). I was encouraged to book myself in as my son's guest after reading on the RVC's website that students, parents, teachers etc were welcome along to this particular open day. But having slept on it meanwhile I've had this nagging doubt that I might just get in the way, because they'll want to speak to my son himself for the most part, rather than have to include me as well.

What you've said makes sense though, a second opinion can't do any harm, and I suppose I might pick up on bits of information which wouldn't necessarily register with my son, as his focus is bound to be exclusively on the science at his age. Maybe I'll take my cue from what other parents seem to be doing, as you've suggested.

It hadn't occurred to me that I could always take myself off for a coffee, that's a great idea!

Some great advice there, thank you very much once again.

ReputationRep:
    When I have gone to open days, I have found that there are more students with parents than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmagic)
    I have been as a guest to vet school open days at RVC, Liverpool, Nottingham, Surrey, Edinburgh and Glasgow. At all of them most of the prospective students had guests with them, it is totally normal and I would suggest necessary as your son may want to talk through decisions with you about where he applies to/firms etc and it is much better if you have seen the uni and heard the talks in my opinion. Guests were not allowed on the bus to Leahurst on the Liverpool day or one of the tours on the Surrey day due to constraints with numbers so the uni will tell you if there is anything you can't go on.

If you are going to the RVC day you might want to visit the Camden campus as well as the field station. Again, I would suggest you would want to go with him? We left the car at Potters Bar station and took a train into London, again, as I remember nearly everyone had at least one adult with them

I hope that helps. Enjoy if you do do. I certainly did!
    Hi animalmagic, thank you for your reply.

It was encouraging to hear of your visits to several of these open days; and that it's normal to find adults accompanying the prospective students! I hope these visits helped the person/the people you were accompanying to feel confident about the career path they wanted to follow?

I would love to visit both of the RVCs sites. There is something called Open House on their website which sounds like what you've described, visiting both campuses on the same day. The one we're attending this time is different and suitable for students in Year 10+ (advisory), which is my son's current year. So what you've said makes sense, because he might come away from the event feeling some concerns about his studies and want to talk about them with me. And as you suggest, it would be much better if I'd seen the Uni and heard the talks, then I'd have a better idea of what was expected of him and be better placed to support him with his concerns.

Thank you, that's good advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophielophie)
    When I have gone to open days, I have found that there are more students with parents than anything else.
    Thanks sophielophie, it's nice to know I wouldn't be the only parent to tag along and that it's seen as something quite normal to do!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.