Turn on thread page Beta

I want to start dating but I'm a little afraid because I've never been on a date, especially with a stranger from a dating app. A guy asked me on tinder but I kind of brushed it off because I wasn't sure if I was that attracted to him and I was scared. I was going to pluck the courage and message him again to say let's go on a date just to see how it is but still I'm not sure I'm attracted to him still, well from the pictures he has on tinder. Also he was quite on and off dirty in the messages don't know if that's normal or not, but anywho should I ask him on a date.

There is someone on my tinder that I'm attracted to but we haven't had a convo yet and I don't know how to start it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I want to start dating but I'm a little afraid because I've never been on a date, especially with a stranger from a dating app. A guy asked me on tinder but I kind of brushed it off because I wasn't sure if I was that attracted to him and I was scared. I was going to pluck the courage and message him again to say let's go on a date just to see how it is but still I'm not sure I'm attracted to him still, well from the pictures he has on tinder. Also he was quite on and off dirty in the messages don't know if that's normal or not, but anywho should I ask him on a date.

There is someone on my tinder that I'm attracted to but we haven't had a convo yet and I don't know how to start it
    Maybe start it off by flirting with him just to show that you are interested

ReputationRep:
    . Also he was quite on and off dirty in the messages don't know if that's normal or not
    Tinder was pretty much designed to facilitate casual sex as a priority and foster meaningful relationships second, so it's normal for Tinder but not really for other dating sites or, ya know, meeting people the old fashioned way in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    I met my current boyfriend of 6 months on Tinder, so I would say don't be afraid to give it a chance! There are people who literally just want casual sex, that's to be expected, and I'd say don't go for people who only have 1 photo, or write nothing on their profiles (might not be who they say they are).
    But I reckon you can find some gems on there

To start talking to people I would usually mention something I found interesting from their profile and just try to have a laugh with them. Don't worry about the date yet, try to get to know the person and then decide if you'd like to see them. Of course if you do go and see them, pick a *very* public place and bring someone with you. If they're a decent person they won't mind these precautions. I brought along my brother and his girlfriend since they wanted to go into town anyway, and he actually brought his sister too and we parted ways once the initial meet was done.
    Be careful and have fun! (Also I'd stay away from the people who get 'dirty' straightaway in messages if that's not what you want and it makes you uncomfortable).

(Original post by sebstanfan2)
    I met my current boyfriend of 6 months on Tinder, so I would say don't be afraid to give it a chance! There are people who literally just want casual sex, that's to be expected, and I'd say don't go for people who only have 1 photo, or write nothing on their profiles (might not be who they say they are).
    But I reckon you can find some gems on there

To start talking to people I would usually mention something I found interesting from their profile and just try to have a laugh with them. Don't worry about the date yet, try to get to know the person and then decide if you'd like to see them. Of course if you do go and see them, pick a *very* public place and bring someone with you. If they're a decent person they won't mind these precautions. I brought along my brother and his girlfriend since they wanted to go into town anyway, and he actually brought his sister too and we parted ways once the initial meet was done.
    Be careful and have fun! (Also I'd stay away from the people who get 'dirty' straightaway in messages if that's not what you want and it makes you uncomfortable).
    Thanks thats actually so helpful, how do you start a convo off apart from the usual hi-
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

This is normal for Tinder.

If there are some doubts in your mind about going on a date with him, then don't go. I feel that meeting someone up for the first time is just like meeting anyone for the first time. You ask questions to find out about each other, share stories, tell jokes, etc... It is a good idea to talk first though, at least you'll have something to talk about for the date.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t go on a date with someone you aren’t attracted to! Keep swiping until you find someone you like, it just wastes both or your time to pursue something you’re already not keen on.

When you find someone you want to meet who has decent chat, arrange a date in a public place (dont just go to his place) and alcohol always helps. Drinks are a great first date, easy to leave if it goes downhill fast. Make your intentions clear (what you’re looking for) from the start to avoid people just looking for one night stands, if that’s not what you’re on tinder for. Act confident and don’t do anything you aren’t comfortable with.

(Original post by cat_mac)
    Don’t go on a date with someone you aren’t attracted to! Keep swiping until you find someone you like, it just wastes both or your time to pursue something you’re already not keen on.

When you find someone you want to meet who has decent chat, arrange a date in a public place (dont just go to his place) and alcohol always helps. Drinks are a great first date, easy to leave if it goes downhill fast. Make your intentions clear (what you’re looking for) from the start to avoid people just looking for one night stands, if that’s not what you’re on tinder for. Act confident and don’t do anything you aren’t comfortable with.
    I don't know, I like his personality but not sure if I 100% like his looks. Like I think I'm only physically attracted like 60% but that's just from tinder pictures.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.