Turn on thread page Beta

University independence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in yr 13 and I will soon be going to university in September. I want to know how the independence in university differs from sixth form because I heard that there is a lot more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You're totally independent.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You're totally independent.
    I hope it will be okay being very independent and all haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by myquestiontsr)
    I hope it will be okay being very independent and all haha
    You need good time management, motivation and money skills. If you have those, you'll be fine.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You need good time management, motivation and money skills. If you have those, you'll be fine.
    Thanks I sure hope I will acquire those attributes very soon before September!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Miss Studious)
    So I'm in yr 13 and I will soon be going to university in September. I want to know how the independence in university differs from sixth form because I heard that there is a lot more.
    Guess it depends on where you go.
    But a few differences are:
    • There probably won't be an exam syllabus. So although there will be lecture aims and objectives, be prepared to be examined on anything that may have been mentioned in lectures. This requires independently going back through notes and slides and perhaps doing extra reading. Last year, I thought a diagram of a tobacco mosaic virus had been included in a slide as a random example of what a virus looks like. But then I was asked to draw the structure in the exam...
    • You won't be coached for exams. Although I'd left college in year 13, I recall that in year 12 teaching continued till April or so and then there was a period where quizes were done in class with a lot of feedback and there were drop in sessions at lunch time. At University, you may have a review lecture or two but it's up to you to study consistently and do revision in the Christmas and Easter holiday.
    • There will be less provided resources. This really does vary. In my University, generally we get 1 past paper per module although I have over 10 for one module this semester and I have friends at Cambridge who have dozens. But regardless, there's going to be less past papers than at A-level so you may have to scavenge textbooks or the net to find testing material or better yet, create your own flashcards or other resources.
    • Noone will care if your absent. At most places, lectures aren't compulsory and although there will be compulsory supervisions, seminars, tutorials and labs, lectures constitute the majority of your teaching time. You'll only ring alarm bells when it drops to a really dangerous level (sub 50?) despite standards being rather high, for example 90%, at certain colleges.
    • And of course domestic skills like money management, cleaning and cooking and so on
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Miss Studious)
    You can literally do whatever you want - of course, with consequences if applicable.

E.g. I haven't been to a single lecture in 6 weeks. still doing alright though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by myquestiontsr)
    Thanks I sure hope I will acquire those attributes very soon before September!
    I think life skills like that are more of a learn through doing thing, than through preparation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have you significantly bested.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! This was very insightful
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    You can literally do whatever you want - of course, with consequences if applicable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you use panupto or something similar?

ReputationRep:
    I think life skills like that are more of a learn through doing thing, than through preparation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I see, I am sorry
    Thanks

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.