Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    asking for some advice... I want to be a midwife, it’s my dream job but the only thing that’s stopping me from pursuing this is the night shifts. I honestly don’t think I’d be able to cope with them. I need to decide on my course for uni soon and I’m not what to do. Is it compulsory to do night shifts or is there anything else similar to a midwife I could do that doesn’t involve night shifts? google wasn’t much help with this

ReputationRep:
    as a student midwife, you will be expected to work a variety of shifts- nights, weekends, banks holidays, early shifts, late shifts etc. I know this because I am in my first year of a Mental Health Nursing degree. For my first placement, we were advised not to work nights just because it was our first, but from now on that will be expected of us. If you are thinking ahead to when you would be a qualified midwife, if you worked as a community midwife, as opposed to working on shifts in a hospital, then you may be working 9-5, but I am not sure about this. Either way, you will need to work nights as a student. Working unsociable and difficult hours is just part of the job, but it's just another sacrifice that you will have to make if you really want to pursue midwifery. Think about it this way- all nurses, healthcare/nursing assistant, midwives etc working on hospital wards all around the world manage with working night shifts and they are often paid slightly more per hour too! The prospect of working nights isn't lovely but I wouldn't let that put you off put you off pursuing your dreams
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emily__g)
    asking for some advice... I want to be a midwife, it’s my dream job but the only thing that’s stopping me from pursuing this is the night shifts. I honestly don’t think I’d be able to cope with them. I need to decide on my course for uni soon and I’m not what to do. Is it compulsory to do night shifts or is there anything else similar to a midwife I could do that doesn’t involve night shifts? google wasn’t much help with this
    Hi, as the previous poster said, you will be expected to do night shifts during the degree.
    To follow on from what the previous poster said about community midwifery, my friend is a community midwife & normally works 9-6 including some weekends & is occasionally on-call overnight (so has to be prepared to work overnight if needed) but I don’t know if that happens up & down the country.
    I understand the worry about not being able to cope with night shifts, but you may be surprised at how you can manage.
    In answer to your question about jobs similar to a midwife, you could look at becoming a maternity support worker/maternity care assistant in a hospital, you would normally be expected to work nights however you may be able to specify not working nights. Other than that you could look at paid roles within NCT perhaps, I can’t really think of anything else off the top of my head.
    I hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.