Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I was wondering about the prospects of history grads from Oxbridge wrt breaking into consulting / IB, and if courses like CIMA play a part in improving a history grad’s options in finance. Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garand)
    Hi all,

I was wondering about the prospects of history grads from Oxbridge wrt breaking into consulting / IB, and if courses like CIMA play a part in improving a history grad’s options in finance. Thanks!!
    I'm an Oxford history grad! At my college roughly half have gone into law and consulting, and the other half finance. I have friends at Credit Suisse, for example. They've had no issues at all getting jobs. Provided you have a little experience, perhaps by taking part in a vac scheme or insight week, you can expect to submit a competitive application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I'm an Oxford history grad! At my college roughly half have gone into law and consulting, and the other half finance. I have friends at Credit Suisse, for example. They've had no issues at all getting jobs. Provided you have a little experience, perhaps by taking part in a vac scheme or insight week, you can expect to submit a competitive application.
    oh wow thanks!!! actually if you don't mind me asking - is the proportion of history grads who enter IB / consulting quite high? I was always under the impression that the proportion of history students who wish to enter those sectors was small compared to say E&M / PPE.

ReputationRep:
    oh wow thanks!!! actually if you don't mind me asking - is the proportion of history grads who enter IB / consulting quite high? I was always under the impression that the proportion of history students who wish to enter those sectors was small compared to say E&M / PPE.
    I think there's a stat that about 20-30% of grads from the top 5 unis go into finance.

Anyway, what year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    I think there's a stat that about 20-30% of grads from the top 5 unis go into finance.

Anyway, what year are you in?
    I'll be starting year 1 in October!

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the obviously finance orientated degrees like E&M and PPE, History is among the most popular degrees sought after by the industry.

Historians still have to handle quantitive data, but also qualitative. We assess policies and proposals, and reassess them in light of new information. Subsequently, we identity more effective solutions to complex problems. It's a great degree for any consulting or finance role.

You would be very surprised at the number of historians entering into IB or consulting. Most banks don't actually need people who crunch numbers - they have computers for that. They need analysts, and that's what we are!

ReputationRep:
    Apply for internships and get them.

If you make it though and graduate without getting a grad offer from an internship - it becomes hard to be break in directly, no matter what uni you go to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    Aside from the obviously finance orientated degrees like E&M and PPE, History is among the most popular degrees sought after by the industry.

Historians still have to handle quantitive data, but also qualitative. We assess policies and proposals, and reassess them in light of new information. Subsequently, we identity more effective solutions to complex problems. It's a great degree for any consulting or finance role.

You would be very surprised at the number of historians entering into IB or consulting. Most banks don't actually need people who crunch numbers - they have computers for that. They need analysts, and that's what we are!
    Thats good to hear! I can't wait haha

(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Apply for internships and get them.

If you make it though and graduate without getting a grad offer from an internship - it becomes hard to be break in directly, no matter what uni you go to
    As of now I know about spring weeks and summer internships, however are there any lucrative winter internships for consulting / IB that are open for first years? I was able to find some overseas, but not in the UK :/

ReputationRep:
    Thats good to hear! I can't wait haha

As of now I know about spring weeks and summer internships, however are there any lucrative winter internships for consulting / IB that are open for first years? I was able to find some overseas, but not in the UK :/
    First year opportunities are typically offered as insight days / weekends. You then secure an internship in your second year, and a job in your third year (if you decide to follow that path)

Regardless of other comments on this thread, you *can* get an IB or consulting job at anytime. So if life takes you somewhere else and you decide to come back to IB later, then that is an option available to you.

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing about Oxford and Imperial is that since their terms start later, you won't get into the Finance Soc as quickly as other people so there's less potential ECs.

Anyway, a lot of them start opening around late August - early October.

Another problem is that you'll have to manually search these, as you won't have access to Ox's internship listing service (companies pay unis for them to list their Interships on a service, making it easier to find).

But you go to a target, will have at least AAA, so the only problem is showing you have an interest in finance on your CV.

I recommend the Merger's and Inquisition's CV template as a great guide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username2752874)
    The annoying thing about Oxford and Imperial is that since their terms start later, you won't get into the Finance Soc as quickly as other people so there's less potential ECs.

Anyway, a lot of them start opening around late August - early October.

Another problem is that you'll have to manually search these, as you won't have access to Ox's internship listing service (companies pay unis for them to list their Interships on a service, making it easier to find).

But you go to a target, will have at least AAA, so the only problem is showing you have an interest in finance on your CV.

I recommend the Merger's and Inquisition's CV template as a great guide.
    Hey thanks for the reply! Sorry to resuscitate this thread a bit, but may I ask about the prospects for an Oxbridge history undergrad but international student on a student visa? From your experience, do hardcaps / biases exist against offering internships and retaining international students?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.