Turn on thread page Beta

Personal Statement for Access (so I can then do Paramedic Science in Uni) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    After my gap year I'm doing an Access to then go to University to do Paramedic Science. I have just applied for an Access and I need to write a personal statement. I'm not doing too well. Could anyone offer me any advice or help?

"Like many others that grew up in my generation I was surrounded with cartoons and movies about superheroes, this is where (like many of my fellow peers) I became fascinated by the thought of becoming my own version of a superhero. As I grew older, I thought people who work in the healthcare system as our modern real-life superheroes. This opened my mind to the world of career opportunities."

This is what I have so far
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Darost98)
    Hello guys,
    After my gap year I'm doing an Access to then go to University to do Paramedic Science. I have just applied for an Access and I need to write a personal statement. I'm not doing too well. Could anyone offer me any advice or help?

"Like many others that grew up in my generation I was surrounded with cartoons and movies about superheroes, this is where (like many of my fellow peers) I became fascinated by the thought of becoming my own version of a superhero. As I grew older, I thought people who work in the healthcare system as our modern real-life superheroes. This opened my mind to the world of career opportunities."

This is what I have so far
    This is awful. Usually I'd try to point out the redeeming features, but I don't think there are any. Unis (and colleges) don't want to know about your TV preferences. They want to know solid facts that show you have researched the course and genuinely want to do it. Your motivations are all wrong if you want to be a superhero.

Think about why you really want to be a paramedic. It's not all plane crashes and servered limbs. Most of the job is helping the elderly, such as picking them up when they fall. After a while you'll develop the skill of identifying a UTI just by smell. And people do save their vomit to show you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Yes I agree this is something that will get you nowhere.
    As a person who has left the military and has undertaken many courses on interview techniques and CV writing I maybe in a capacity to advise on how to get recognised and what potential employers are looking for in an application. In a personal statement you only have limited words so you want to hit the right note quick and hit it hard.
    Firstly, in this instance to want to portray your biggest assets which is not your superhero story. Volunteering work will without doubt grab attention and clearly indicate to the uni that you possess a passion for health care etc. You want them to invest in you for 3 years so why are they going to choose you over and above someone else? voluntary work such as a CFR or SJA is the way to do this in my opinion, actions are louder than words and
    Secondly, you can highlight any areas where you have portrayed your caring nature in your life and the of course your academic qualifications.
    Forget superheroes Ffs.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.