The Student Room Group

Routes into medicine please help

Hi
Before anyone scrutinises me like before, hear me out.
I have contacted each university and college and I've had no luck.
Im in year 12, and like to do medicine, however I am not doing the right subjects.(studying Btec health and social care, A level Biology)
I've contacted the college's that do access to medicine courses and they all say it's for people 19+ who have not been in education for a couple years.
I wanted to do a foundation year. However, most universities don't accept Btec, and it's mainly for students who didn't achieve the right grades in chem/bio.ive contacted the universities but have had no luck.

I'm so burned out and disappointed. I feel like the whole world has come down on me. Doing another degree is not an option for me, and I can't seem to find any other routes into medicine.

Does anyone know any other course I could do that universities accept for medicine, or any universities that I could apply to?
I've emailed East Anglia university because I've heard they accept Btec, and I'm awaiting a response.
I have no idea what I should do.
Original post by Amiia2997
Hi
Im in year 12, and like to do medicine, however I am not doing the right subjects.(studying Btec health and social care, A level Biology)
I've contacted the college's that do access to medicine courses and they all say it's for people 19+ who have not been in education for a couple years.
I wanted to do a foundation year. However, most universities don't accept Btec, and it's mainly for students who didn't achieve the right grades in chem/bio.ive contacted the universities but have had no luck.

I'm so burned out and disappointed. I feel like the whole world has come down on me. Doing another degree is not an option for me, and I can't seem to find any other routes into medicine.

Does anyone know any other course I could do that universities accept for medicine, or any universities that I could apply to?
I've emailed East Anglia university because I've heard they accept Btec, and I'm awaiting a response.

Well its good to see at least you've tried.

Out of curiosity, is your BTEC an extended diploma, national certificate (level 3) or national award? Sorry, its just I'm not familiar with BTECs. Also maybe try the Keele foundation course? Seem to remember them mentioning BTEC but I'm not sure.

Why is doing another degree not an option? Unfortunately, it might be the only other option if you are determined to do medicine. You could also try transfer routes, which is not something I recommend as it is very competitive, but the entry into the feeder courses might be more lenient than medicine. For example, you could try Bradford clinical sciences.
Reply 2
Year out and do chemistry and another a level so have 3a levels?

Degree then apply for graduate entry? You could do a course where you get a bursary/fees paid for, my first degree had no fees and I’m in a lot less debt than some of my graduate friends in medicine atm.
Your year 12, so couldn't you repeat year 12 and then do 13 but with the correct a-levels? Is that a potential option?
Reply 4
Original post by AzureCeleste
Your year 12, so couldn't you repeat year 12 and then do 13 but with the correct a-levels? Is that a potential option?

Its not really an option for me because many medicine courses don't accept retakes and want A levels to be completed in 2 years. Moreover, I would need to take different subjects and I'm already doing Biology.
Reply 5
Original post by Blazingphoenix

Out of curiosity, is your BTEC an extended diploma, national certificate (level 3) or national award? Sorry, its just I'm not familiar with BTECs. Also maybe try the Keele foundation course? Seem to remember them mentioning BTEC but I'm not sure.

Why is doing another degree not an option? Unfortunately, it might be the only other option if you are determined to do medicine. You could also try transfer routes, which is not something I recommend as it is very competitive, but the entry into the feeder courses might be more lenient than medicine. For example, you could try Bradford clinical sciences.

It's a level 3 course, but only worth 2 A levels, so it's not the extended diploma.
Thank you, I'll look into the course at Bradford
Reply 6

The course is not extended, it's level 3, but only worth 2 A levels.
Thank you I'll look into the Bradford clinical sciences course
It's a level 3 course, but only worth 2 A levels, so it's not the extended diploma.
Thank you, I'll look into the course at Bradford

please bear in mind that Bradford is a separate course in itself, just it has links to leeds. if you don't succeed, you'll have to complete the course.
Its not really an option for me because many medicine courses don't accept retakes and want A levels to be completed in 2 years. Moreover, I would need to take different subjects and I'm already doing Biology.

How would they know what year you began the A-level course? You're not re-taking it if you haven't sat the exam??
Have you asked them about this?

Actually, they may have a point. The condition is A-levels over TWO years. If you picked up Chemistry, Physics/Maths and another subject next year and complete them over two years, this may still fulfil the requirement. I'm only saying Physics/Maths as usually they require another science subject (don't quote me, have a look up yourself); you won't be able to continue with Biology as it may count as being over three years. Check all this with the universities.
Actually, they may have a point. The condition is A-levels over TWO years. If you picked up Chemistry, Physics/Maths and another subject next year and complete them over two years, this may still fulfil the requirement. I'm only saying Physics/Maths as usually they require another science subject (don't quote me, have a look up yourself); you won't be able to continue with Biology as it may count as being over three years. Check all this with the universities.

You don't need physics/maths. No uni requires all 3, except oxbridge(and then its only certain colleges which require 3).
You don't need physics/maths. No uni requires all 3, except oxbridge(and then its only certain colleges which require 3).

I'm not saying that they need to do 3 sciences. I'm saying that they need to do another science alongside Chemistry, and those are the options as Biology may not fulfil the two years criteria, seeing as they are currently studying it.
I'm not saying that they need to do 3 sciences. I'm saying that they need to do another science alongside Chemistry, and those are the options as Biology may not fulfil the two years criteria, seeing as they are currently studying it.

Tbh I don't see why they can't just wait a year and then sit biology. I've just been on the Edinburgh website for medicine and nowhere does it say that they must take it over two years. This is the only thing they say concerning it.
. All examination grades must be obtained at the first attempt of each subject.

Anyway OP, best thing to do is contact the uni's concerning it.
Tbh I don't see why they can't just wait a year and then sit biology. I've just been on the Edinburgh website for medicine and nowhere does it say that they must take it over two years. This is the only thing they say concerning it.
. All examination grades must be obtained at the first attempt of each subject.

Anyway OP, best thing to do is contact the uni's concerning it.

Its the usual view that A-levels should be taken over two years, though they may not always state it. If you would like examples that do state the two years outright, then I will refer you to Keele, Aberdeen and St George's. Otherwise, its possible that universities will consider applications on a case-by-case basis.

I'm sure the OP is sensible enough, seeing as they did do research before posting on here.
Reply 14
please bear in mind that Bradford is a separate course in itself, just it has links to leeds. if you don't succeed, you'll have to complete the course.

I'm a bit confused, I did research online but couldn't find any other unis that accept a stand alone foundation degree. Is it only Leeds?
I'm a bit confused, I did research online but couldn't find any other unis that accept a stand alone foundation degree. Is it only Leeds?

So the Clinical science isn't a foundation degree, it is a degree which gives students the opportunity to transfer onto medicine in Leeds provided they fulfil the criteria. There are a few other transfer schemes like Newcastle, Leicester and Edinburgh, where you start on biomed degree and have the opportunity to transfer in first year. However, all these schemes are very competitive with very few spaces, making them not an ideal route. NONE of these are foundation degrees that guarantee entry into medicine. If you do not transfer, you are completing the degree, and you may choose to reapply to medicine after.

I understand that this was probably not an option you were looking at, but I was simply suggesting alternative routes that you could consider.
Reply 16
So the Clinical science isn't a foundation degree, it is a degree which gives students the opportunity to transfer onto medicine in Leeds provided they fulfil the criteria. There are a few other transfer schemes like Newcastle, Leicester and Edinburgh, where you start on biomed degree and have the opportunity to transfer in first year. However, all these schemes are very competitive with very few spaces, making them not an ideal route. NONE of these are foundation degrees that guarantee entry into medicine. If you do not transfer, you are completing the degree, and you may choose to reapply to medicine after.

I understand that this was probably not an option you were looking at, but I was simply suggesting alternative routes that you could consider.

Thank you for your help
Hi

Have you thought about studying abroad? I study at sofia medical university and many of my medic friends have not done the traditional subjects for a levels... There is an entry exam too so the grades you get for a levels dont really matter... message me if you'd like more details or information!

Quick Reply

Latest