Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is the transport in Bath spa? It’s currently my first choice (if I don’t change my mind!) and I’m looking at accommodation but I’m reluctant to apply for anywhere off-campus purely for the commute to and from newton park every day. I see that there’s a bus from waterside court (the one I liked the most!) is this a free service or will I have to pay each time? Also if anyone could give me a little review of waterside or the other accommodations so I can find the best one then that would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    The U5 and U6 bus routes run from the university to around bath. The U6 goes nearest to all of the off site accommodations (other than Green Park) but this stops running at 7pm and so if you are travelling after then you will often have to get the U5 and walk around 10mins from one of the bus stops to waterside/charlton/twerton. They are not always reliable, however I haven't personally had any horrendous experiences with them.
    The buses aren't free, it is £3 for a day ticket or when you complete your registration with the uni you are able to buy a bus pass for £299 for the year (thats how much is was this year anyway).
    I'm not able to review the offsite accommodations personally as I live in Gardens - which I would recommend as you don't have to rely on the bus services to get you to your lectures on time, but if you want to live in-between uni and the city then I'm sure the offsite accommodation will suit you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, So HeatherOooo covered transport pretty well so I don’t need to add anything there.

I lived in gardens accommodation in first year and my girlfriend lived in twerton mill which i stayed at a lot! Both are really nice and i never had an issue with getting to campus in the mornings. Obviously, you have to wake up earlier to get in but it does prepare you better for the rest of the time at spa as you will likely be moving to town second and third year. plus living next to Lidl and MacDonalds was amazing!!

Also as a side note on transport, I only got the first 2 semesters as a pass and then paid daily for the third semester as i was not in that much then

ReputationRep:
    Would you suggest it’s better to live off campus or or campus overall? I’m also worried about the social side of things, as In would i be better off to be living in waterside where you’re all together or on campus in the sort of house style? I’m a very social person but I would prefer to live with more people to help me make as many friends as I can 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieRose101)
    Would you suggest it’s better to live off campus or or campus overall? I’m also worried about the social side of things, as In would i be better off to be living in waterside where you’re all together or on campus in the sort of house style? I’m a very social person but I would prefer to live with more people to help me make as many friends as I can 😂
    I think if that's the worry you don't need to, bath spa is great at getting people from loads of social backgrounds together. I think either location you will be social if you make the effort with those around you. Onsite tends to be pretty social with the rest of the block so although you are in a house style building you have loads of others around you to make friends with I put my choice as gardens because i wanted to be close to uni but getting waterside was the best thing which could have happened to me. I loved being able to walk into town with ease and getting to work and back even late at night was easily done as bath is super safe and its pretty flat where the halls are.

ReputationRep:
    This is so helpful thank you! So in general you prefer living in waterside? I’m torn between that and gardens at the moment, similar price but if it’s still social at waterside and close to town then it might be better? Are security okay with parties etc? 😅 being farther from the SU probably means more house/flat parties I’m guessing, my course is 18 hours contact time plus rehearsals so I feel that I’d be on campus a lot but it might be nice to not be on campus all the time (as in being close to the town like you said) I’d probably get the bus pass in either location because of commute or shopping etc. Which do you think is more worth the money?,

ReputationRep:
    I loved waterside and didn't want to leave! haha
    when I was there waterside was the place that the main parties happened! security was great as they understood that we were students so were really nice with parties and only really shut down parties which happened during exam season! yeah, I only really went to house parties during freshers which was great as I saved so much money by buying in bulk and then not having to pay the bar prices for drinks. I think either way you get benefits so it's down to personal preference but think you would fit in either. If you want to head to town a lot I would say offsite is better as you don't have to worry about the last bus (it's late but sometimes you want to go to maccers on the way home).

ReputationRep:
    Honestly. This has helped so much so thank you! I think I’ll apply for waterside as my first choice and gardens as second, do most people get the accommodation they apply for? Applications open next week so I’m gonna try and get in first

ReputationRep:
    i wan having the exact same worry as you when it came to accommodation especially with the social side of things, did you come to a decision on which one you wanted to stay it might help me out.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve put gardens as my first choice, then en suite lakeside and then waterside after that, although obviously still time to change it if I need to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieRose101)
    I’ve put gardens as my first choice, then en suite lakeside and then waterside after that, although obviously still time to change it if I need to!
    what made you pick gardens in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Money was a big part of it, but also It’s been suggested to me that it’s better to live on campus just for first year, especially with things like freshers week and getting to classes on time and being right by the SU. I also really didn’t like the look of lakeside so I opted for gardens, looks a lot nicer and less prison-like 😂

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.