Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's something that was rumoured all the way back to November last year but Tillerson's been sacked by Trump with Mike Pompeo replacing him as Secretary of State.

Washington Post - Trump ousts Tillerson, will replace him as secretary of state with CIA chief Pompeo

President Trump has ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and plans to nominate CIA Director Mike Pompeo to replace him as the nation’s top diplomat, orchestrating a major change to his national security team amid delicate negotiations with North Korea, White House officials said Tuesday.

Trump last Friday asked Tillerson to step aside, and the embattled diplomat cut short his trip to Africa on Monday to return to Washington.

Pompeo will replace him at the State Department, and Gina Haspel — the deputy director at the CIA — will succeed him at the CIA, becoming the first woman to run the spy agency, if confirmed.

In a statement issued to The Washington Post, Trump praised both Pompeo and Haspel.

“I am proud to nominate the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Mike Pompeo, to be our new Secretary of State,” Trump said. “Mike graduated first in his class at West Point, served with distinction in the U.S. Army, and graduated with Honors from Harvard Law School. He went on to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives with a proven record of working across the aisle.”
    The president continued, “Gina Haspel, the Deputy Director of the CIA, will be nominated to replace Director Pompeo and she will be the CIA’s first-ever female director, a historic milestone. Mike and Gina have worked together for more than a year, and have developed a great mutual respect.”

Trump also had words of praise for Tillerson: “Finally, I want to thank Rex Tillerson for his service. A great deal has been accomplished over the last fourteen months, and I wish him and his family well.”

The president — who has long clashed will Tillerson, who he believes is “too establishment” in his thinking — felt it was important to make the change now, as he prepares for talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, as well as upcoming trade negotiations, three White House officials said.

“I am deeply grateful to President Trump for permitting me to serve as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency and for this opportunity to serve as Secretary of State,” Pompeo said in a statement. “His leadership has made America safer and I look forward to representing him and the American people to the rest of the world to further America’s prosperity. Serving alongside the great men and women of the CIA, the most dedicated and talented public servants I have encountered, has been one of the great honors of my life.”

Haspel in a statement also said she was excited for her promotion.

“After 30 years as an officer of the Central Intelligence Agency, it has been my honor to serve as its Deputy Director alongside Mike Pompeo for the past year,” she said. “I am grateful to President Trump for the opportunity, and humbled by his confidence in me, to be nominated to be the next Director of the Central Intelligence Agency.”
    It's perhaps not surprising that he's been booted given the rumours of significant differences between what Trump is said to want in terms of foreign policy and what he was doing. Still, the timing is interesting. He has of course tweeted before that Rex was "wasting his time trying to negotiate with little rocket man", and with less than a week since it was announced that he would meet with Kim Jong Un, Tillerson is now out.

What do you guys think? Is Pompeo a reasonable replacement? Do you see any significant changes to US foreign policy as a result of this?

ReputationRep:
    The White House has a higher staff turnover than the local meat packing factory.

It's come only hours after Tillerson linked Russia to the Skripal poisoning.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand why anyone would accept a job working for Trump any more. He clearly is very quick to sack people.

ReputationRep:
    After it came out that he'd called Trump a moron I'm surprised he lasted this long, I guess all it took was acknowledging Putin's obvious involvement in an assassination attempt on another country's sovereign soil to tip Trump over the edge.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Another one bites the dust :lol:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Trump is following Putin's orders.

Putin is Новый бог отец

Spoiler:
    Show

The New GodFather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I don't really understand why anyone would accept a job working for Trump any more. He clearly is very quick to sack people.
    He was starting to get quiet boisterous, though. Saying publicly how Trump should handle free trade. A fair dismissal not even ACAS could disagree with.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    This is starting to get ridiculous now, to be honest.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I was going to post here noting that Steve Goldstein, the Undersecretary of State, had noted on CBS that "The Secretary had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security."

But now he's just been fired. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Incredible news emerging from the other side of the Atlantic today as President Trump has confirmed the firing of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. This news comes merely a few months after Trump rejected news reports of Tillerson's imminent firing as "fake news" in December 2017:

(Original post by Donald Trump on Twitter)
    The media has been speculating that I fired Rex Tillerson or that he would be leaving soon - FAKE NEWS! He’s not leaving
    Fake news, eh?

The firing of Rex Tillerson:

It is reported that Trump fired Tillerson over their disagreements, including on diplomacy with North Korea (with Trump publicly rebuking Tillerson's ostensible naivity on Twitter, only to now agree to meet Kim Jong-un) and on Tillerson's support for the JCPOA which Trump vowed to "rip up" (despite the IAEA certifiying Iran's compliance on 9 separate occassions since the deal was signed).

Tillerson is said to have learned of his firing on Twitter, in keeping with the Trump administration's commitment to sophistication and organisation.

The promotion of Mike Pompeo:

Tillerson is to replaced by current CIA Director Mike Pompeo, a hardline war-hawk who supports the use of torture on suspects in CIA 'black sites', prefers military action to diplomacy in Iran (a better option than negotiating with Iran would be to use "2,000 sorties too destroy the Iranian nuclear capacity" ) , blamed a "radical environmental agenda" for promoting the concept of climate change, is totally bought by big lobbying groups (in his early political days he was heavily funded/supported by the lobbying group Americans for Prosperity funded by the billionaire Koch brothers, he has since returned that favour by supporting their positions on numerous issues), takes a hard-line stance against abortions, is against same-sex marriage and is a fully-cucked member of the NRA.

Unsurprisingly, corporate Democrats such as Chuck Schumer have reacted positively to the news, sensing an opportunity to adopt a more militant anti-Russian foreign policy:

(Original post by Chuck Schumer on Twitter)
    If he’s confirmed, we hope that Mr. Pompeo will turn over a new leaf and will start toughening up our policies towards Russia and Putin.
    Pompeo's close links with the hardline neo-con FDD, politicisation of intelligence whilst at the CIA and explicit preference for military-attack-induced regime change over diplomacy in North Korea and Iran spell disaster for the multilateral JCPOA, Trump's oft-repeated concern with the US's invasions in the Middle East, and Trump's pursuit of diplomacy with North Korea.

Who is Gina Haspel?

It gets better. Trump has nominated Gina Haspel to become the new Director of the CIA.

Gina Haspel is currently Deputy Director of the CIA, and is best known for running an extra-judicial "black site" in Thailand in 2002. A Senate Intelligence Committee report found that individuals detained at that black site were regularly tortured, with one detainee waterboarded 83 times in a month, had his head slammed against a wall, and lost an eye. But it was worth it, right? Nope - the individual in question (Abu Zubaydah) was ultimately deemed not to be in possession of any useful information. D'oh.

Gina Haspel did not stop there, however, and was later accused by the head of the CIA's Counterterrorism Center of ordering the destruction of dozens of video recordings from the black site in Thailand that she ran.

Her brutal crimes against humanity have not gone unnoticed in Europe: in June 2017, the European Centre for Constitutional and Human Rights callde on the German Public Prosecutor to issue an arrest warrant against Haspel on the grounds of torture of Abu Zubaydah, meaning she could potentially - legally - be arrested at any moment she enters European soil.

Conclusions:

All in all, just another day in the Presidency of Donald Trump.

ReputationRep:
    Sources:

The firing of Rex Tillerson
    Gina Haspel and the CIA black sites
    Mike Pompeo's politicisation of intelligence
    Mike Pompeo and the Koch Brothers

ReputationRep:
    I can see why, given his previous comments, you don't exactly want Tillerson disagreeing with you when going into negotiations with NK. Unfortunately the new guy looks like a hawk and the new CIA head certainly isn't any better

ReputationRep:
    I thought Rex Tillerson was ok. Idk why Trump sacked him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Trump is following Putin's orders.

Putin is Новый бог отец

Spoiler:
    Show

The New GodFather.

Naturally everything Trump does will be linked to his supposed 'overloads' in Russia, but his one makes no sense even for the most senile anti-Russians. Tillerson was originally condemned as being too closely linked to Russia due to his links in the energy sector, and Mike Pompeo is known for taking a very hardline anti-Russian stance, so to implicate Russia in this decision makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edgemaster)
    I can see why, given his previous comments, you don't exactly want Tillerson disagreeing with you when going into negotiations with NK. Unfortunately the new guy looks like a hawk and the new CIA head certainly isn't any better
    The irony is that Trump repeatedly undermined Tiillerson's attempts at finding a diplomatic solution for NK last year.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/1/...rump-diplomacy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The irony is that Trump repeatedly undermined Tiillerson's attempts at finding a diplomatic solution for NK last year.

Publicly rebuked him on Twitter only to now renege on that and attempt diplomacy himself, no less!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    Publicly rebuked him on Twitter only to now renege on that and attempt diplomacy himself, no less!
    And somehow his supporters hail him as a genius either way. Ruin diplomatic efforts by your top foreign ambassador? He's tough and no-nonsense who'll never engage with these evil men, just what the country needs! Accepts opportunity for diplomacy after a year of incessant antagonising? He's a superb statesman uniquely capable of solving these terrible rifts, just what the country needs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

It seems Trump's 4D chess is still going strong then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edgemaster)
    It seems Trump's 4D chess is still going strong then
    Trump and other people's ideas:

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Trump and other people's ideas:

If anything substantial is agreed from the meeting with Kim (which in itself is not guaranteed), this is most likely what will happen. I do wonder whether giving up his position as chairman of Exxon Mobil for a year and a bit stint as Secretary of State was worthwhile for Tillerson. It seems likely his legacy will be tarnished and any achievement he secured in the diplomatic field to be claimed as Trump's own.

I think where we'll see the most changes in terms of US foreign policy now will be in the Middle East. Tillerson had generally tried to mediate the dispute between Qatar and the UAE/Saudi bloc. With him out of the way, it may be the case that the latter place further pressures on Qatar knowing that they are unlikely to be rebuked by anyone senior within the administration. Pompeo's also far more of a hawk and will likely seek to be more aggressive in the treatment of Iran.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.