Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why don't (some) people qualify their statements? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Again, the title is tongue in cheek so no one get upset this time please.

I've noticed a lot debate on TSR about some pretty serious issues, but routinely I've notice that quite a few people don't qualify their statements. Someone then challenges what they've said, and the original speaker then attacks (sometimes it's an ad hominem attack) the person who challenged them. I'll give a few examples:

Person A: Why do men/women behave in a way I don't like?

Person B: In fairness, not all men/women behave this way.

Person A: OF COURSE I DIDN'T MEAN ALL! WHY SHOULD I CLARIFY THAT!!

or

Person A: Russell Group universities are the best universities with the highest entry requirements, you need an AAA at least.

Person B: Actually not all RG universities have requirements that high.

Person A: You're twisting my words, any idiot could tell I didn't mean all of the RG universities

You get the idea. It seems to happen fairly frequently on here. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I've never found it that hard to qualify my statements (I am sure I make the odd mistake though). It's not hard for me to say something like, for instance, "some RG universities" instead of "RG universities" when I'm discussing something that may apply to some, but not all, RG universities.

Is there a particular reason people don't do it? It seems that often it's laid as a kind of linguistic trap, and once someone highlights it, the original speaker can then criticise the listener for not implicitly knowing the meaning behind what they said. It could be this is used to distract from the weakness of the original argument the speaker made. Or maybe some people just like to vent at strangers. Or maybe it's just laziness on the speakers part?

I'm probably a bit out of touch with all this as a mature graduate so any ideas as to what I'm missing would be greatly appreciated it. TSR is a bit of a minefield sometimes!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's an internet thing tbh. If you can't win the argument, attack the person instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    It's an internet thing tbh. If you can't win the argument, attack the person instead.
    Yeah I guess that is true. It just seems that some people fail to qualify their statements again and again just to get in to a personal argument.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.