Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm applying to attend either Bristol, bath or portsmouth uni and thinking about living in halls. However I will be 23 when I attend and was wondering if that is a bit to old to live in halls as I don't really just want to be put with 18 year olds. should I just apply for mature accommodation??? I like going on nights out however being old I am also there to study what would be the best fit ???
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 26chelsea)
    Hiya, I'm applying to attend either Bristol, bath or portsmouth uni and thinking about living in halls. However I will be 23 when I attend and was wondering if that is a bit to old to live in halls as I don't really just want to be put with 18 year olds. should I just apply for mature accommodation??? I like going on nights out however being old I am also there to study what would be the best fit ???
    Hi, thank you for your question!

Whether you want to live in halls is really entirely down to your personal preference and judgement.

The age of people living in halls varies, but most people, as you would expect, are 18 or 19. Some students will have taken gap years so will be slightly older. However, there are some older students. I know a student who lived in halls last year and he is 24 now. Often though, the maturity of the people living in halls really varies person to person and is often not age dependent.

The experience of being in halls is almost totally down to who you share a flat with and this is completely random. Regardless of age, some students will go out more a lot more than others. However, at the end of the day, everyone is here to study. Most people are very cooperative and understanding if you want them to keep the noise down. If things get too noisy, security are very good at managing noise complaints.

It is difficult for me to give you advice, I can only really give you the information I know. It is really up to you to decide where you think you will be happiest!

If you have any specific questions about accommodation types, please do let me know.

Good luck with your decision!

Leah
    1st Year Chemical Engineering
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 26chelsea)
    Just to add to what Leah has said.

I started at Bath around my 21st birthday, and moved into Marlborough. I didn't sign up to live in mature accommodation, but I ended up in a flat where I was the youngest. The oldest was around 25 (so 23 fits in the middle pretty well!).

A couple of my flatmates were less interested in nights out, but I went out with most of them quite a lot. After the initial hype of freshers we watched Game of Thrones in the kitchen almost every night instead. Noise was never an issue, and by making friends from courses and societies, you always have a group of people to go out with regardless.

If you have any questions about being a mature student at Bath, just quote me.

Hollie
    2nd Year International Development with Economics

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.