• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Gaming is a very widespread hobby, but what interests someone in a game can vary hugely between different people. It might be that a compelling storyline draws you in, or it might be the genre, gameplay, or graphics.

In fact, there are a whole host of things that could draw you into a game... but what is it for you that interests you in a game? If there's more than one reason, what are they? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think if one element makes up for a different element, its fine. One thing that makes a game for me is the soundtrack. I can't enjoy a game proper if the soundtrack isn't right. Even if the graphics look like crap (Touhou series for example) or if the game is old asf (Old FF games). Some good examples of games that have both (good soundtrack and gameplay) are: Nier:Automata, Madworld, Drakengard, the majority of the Tales games, Trails in the Sky games etc. Another thing is an interesting story that really drags you in. A key example of this is an old game (visual novel) called Fate/Stay Night, which has great story, great graphics and great soundtrack.

Tl:dr It depends on the type of game, however in the triangle of gameplay, story and soundtrack if one is lacking the other two should make up for it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I always look for games with a captivating storyline and well thought-out character development. One of the biggest reasons I play video games is for the emotional attachment. What also makes video games so great and enjoyable are, in my opinion, the art style and soundtrack - these things improve the game play experience.

ReputationRep:
    Good story line, great characters and I love choice based games. I'll sacrifice game play if the game is engaging and choice based which I've done before with Heavy Rain. Don't get me wrong I love a good bit of game play but it can be put aside for a good story. A mix of the two is great though! (Loving Quantum Break right now which is a good mix of the two).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Gaming is a very widespread hobby, but what interests someone in a game can vary hugely between different people. It might be that a compelling storyline draws you in, or it might be the genre, gameplay, or graphics.

In fact, there are a whole host of things that could draw you into a game... but what is it for you that interests you in a game? If there's more than one reason, what are they? :holmes:
    First of all, the soundtracks. Soundtracks which are catching tunes and thus an evergreen. And a good storyline! nice graphics is also an important factor for a good game for myself, but rather tertiary.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Opportunities for escapism and heavy blood lust. Hence why i mostly play fantasy RPGs.

ReputationRep:
    blowing stuff up
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PepeTheFroggi)
    blowing stuff up
    This is also important tbh. Hence why i play so much hitman sapienza level - exploding golf ball is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    This is also important tbh. Hence why i play so much hitman sapienza level - exploding golf ball is hilarious.
    Lol xD. I play Tanki online alot. 'cause I love blowing tanks up

ReputationRep:

easy/not awkward controls
    good/interesting storyline
    a few hot girls
    and more stealth than well, what is it called? combat that involves guns without auto aim because I'm awful at shooting?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I personally prefer having a compelling and consistent story line, in-depth character development, unique battle systems and a great soundtrack. I prefer RPG's, they are my main genre of game, with action/adventure being my second favourite.

The reason why I started playing video games was for the immersion, being able to play as someone who wasn't me because at the time my life wasn't great so I needed an escape, and I do the same thing now. I need to believe the characters are real people with real struggles and good personality development. The Tales of series is good at doing this because they have character skits which allow each character to be personalised and developed, their own views on the world to be brought forward and challenged; Final Fantasy doesn't do a good job of this because the characters don't get enough time to shine.

ReputationRep:

For me it depends on the game and why I want it. So for some games it's storylines or graphics, but for others it's how fun I'll find playing it with friends. I'm not generally fussy about the types of games I like, I play a wide range of genres, but there are some styles of game that I really dislike.

ReputationRep:
    Lol xD. I play Tanki online alot. 'cause I love blowing tanks up
    me too. Meet Lieutenant General Prowl. I love using the combo of thunder and mammoth or viking and isida or sometimes viking and thunder (but rarely)

hbu?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by yeahthatonethere)
    Good story line, great characters and I love choice based games. I'll sacrifice game play if the game is engaging and choice based which I've done before with Heavy Rain. Don't get me wrong I love a good bit of game play but it can be put aside for a good story. A mix of the two is great though! (Loving Quantum Break right now which is a good mix of the two).
    Game play may a contoversial aspect of gaming. If it is too annoying - by getting explanations via tutorials all the time in a game to name an example - even the best game is ruined for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Will reply fully later since I'm taking a short break in my library.

blowing stuff up
    Played Rainbow Six Siege?

ReputationRep:
    As a person who mostly plays multiplayer games and if ever single player then either a FPS or action game the two biggest things are gameplay mechanics and level/map design.

Currently in the gaming market due to the oversatuation of certain genres a lot of games I do not like as so many of them are way too similar to each other now in terms of gameplay resulting in me getting bored very quickly in them. Currently my main interest in gaming is shooters which around 2-3 years ago really did need an injection of fresh new gameplay mechanics. The gameplay mechanics by far are the most important thing for me as it really distinguishes a game for me and due to how similar games are now really helps hook me into it. The biggest example really of this for games I've played is Rainbow Six Siege. A lot of shooters I found a few years lacked a proper competitive and strategy vibe and were sort of just kill fests which whilst fun is not that immersive and makes the game become rather repetitive. Whilst Siege is my 3rd competitive shooter it added one thing that I haven't seen in any other shooter really (if at all before not that well): destructive environments. In a lot of competitive shooters what makes them so good is that the strategy behind them results in games being different resulting in it being less repetitive, Siege's destruction takes this to a new level since people can open up a lot of entry points around the map making nearly every game different and this makes it so much more tense as you are sneaking through a building not knowing where people will be etc. As well it also opens up a greater diversity of strategies to apply. I do not like the Call of Duty series for the opposite reason since it lacks innovation in later games and sort of tries to cover that up with fancy tricks like riding on walls and jetpacks except other shooters have done this, I haven't seen any other shooter use a destruction system like Siege has.

I'll write more some other time on other points since that already took a while and I haven't got time for more currently.

ReputationRep:
    Entertainment value, smooth responsive camera+controls, chiptune soundtrack.

ReputationRep:
    I started gaming really young, and now I just have vague memories of total awe the first time I played games like Zelda: OoT or Goldeneye on the N64, or later Halo: Combat Evolved. So for me, what really draws me in is anything that recreates that sense of awe that I had when I was young. Very few games achieve it. Different things achieve it - Zelda: BotW recently did. Heavy Rain's incredible story and the soundtrack of the Last of Us did it. And the simple joy of Fable II did it. Obviously I don't just play games that have that effect, but it's great when they do. I love games.

ReputationRep:
    Emotion for me. If it makes me cry.It's a masterpiece.

ReputationRep:
    I really get carried away with investing myself in the storyline of a game; so much so, in fact, that I'm often more interested in watching the cutscenes than I am in actually playing the game itself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 30, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.