• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is related to university and how much you think it should cost; do you think the current fees are right? Or do you think they should be lowered, or raised?

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    £5000 a year. Maintenance should be whatever you need up to the maximum it is currently as it is a loan not a grant now

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees can be ****in whatever tbh, it's mostly the maintenance loan amounts that make being a student actually difficult for people.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The Government currently want to start varying what universities are allowed to charge for different courses. I think a simple graduate tax system would work better.

ReputationRep:
    The current fees, imo, is fine. It's not a traditional sort of debt since its PAYE and it gets written off in 30 years. People wont feel the burden of the debt and I dont think the govt should pay tuition fees for wealthy middle class kids who will disproportionately benefit given many wont even pay the fee back.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Tuition fees can be ****in whatever tbh, it's mostly the maintenance loan amounts that make being a student actually difficult for people.
    This.

Realistically fees can be whatever as long as the repayment terms are sustainable. Ideally, however, I'd only like to pay 3-5% in marginal tax as fees not 9%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    The Government currently want to start varying what universities are allowed to charge for different courses. I think a simple graduate tax system would work better.
    With the loan repayment terms being as they are, what we've got is basically a graduate tax of sorts anyway. Which does make varying charges very pointless, yes.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.