Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I open my laptop this morning to find only half the display working as per usual, the other half white and with what looks to be ink sort of splashed on the screen ( the laptop was dropped)
    I don’t know what to do half of my course work is on there along with other things.
    anyone know what the problem is and how much it would cost to fix it?Name:  B557B6FF-3578-4D46-AEB5-C9DF6DDA8D77.jpg.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  25.2 KB
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Any help would be much appreciated)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ismail17)
    Any help would be much appreciated)
    Oh. Bad news unfortunately.

The ink splash is the liquid crystal material escaping from a smashed glass filter containing the fluid in the display.

The blank half of the screen also indicates there is likely to be other damage to the internal cables/connectors/printed circuit boards linking the motherboard with the display. The only way of knowing if that has happened, would be to get a computer technician to take a look.

Depending on the model number (screen type and size) of the laptop and it's age, a new screen is likely to be around £60 to £120. On top of that add the technicians repair time of around £45 per hour. So anything between £120 to £200 +VAT.

If you know someone who is confident with technology to technician level, you may be able to get it done for the price of the parts only. Beware, there is no guarantee though.

I'm assuming you back-up your files regularly? lol

If you have access to a stand alone monitor, then use that for the time being or connect it to your TV via HDMI.

Depending on the age of your laptop, it may also be worthwhile looking at a new model.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.