Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m going to be 15 in 3 months and I’m due to be starting college next month to do basic English, maths and science as I dropped out of school. Can anyone tell me what it’s like in college as a 14-15 year old?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well you get a hell of a lot more freedom you can go to the shops in free periods eat what and wherever you like one thing I'd advise you not to do though is what one guy in my course did and drink a bottle of vodka in the common room. They don't mind if you turn up drunk or stoned (I mean don't because it's illegal.) but if you get stoned or paralytic on collage grounds they will kick you out.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, lol trust me I won’t be doing that. I’m just worried about other kids there because I have very bad anxiety and I had a hard time with bullying. Is that a big thing with college kids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie grainger)
    Thankyou, lol trust me I won’t be doing that. I’m just worried about other kids there because I have very bad anxiety and I had a hard time with bullying. Is that a big thing with college kids?
    I got bullied every day since year 1 it stopped dead for me in collage there were a couple of incidents I saw but not a lot and never after the first week you'll experience some banter sure but as long as you remember to laugh at it you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thankyou for your help!

ReputationRep:
    My college experience was quite positive compared to jonathons. Because a college is much bigger than a school its a lot easier to keep yourself to yourself, which I liked as I just had a select few friends. Don't worry too much about getting bullied, in my experience people will keep to themselves unless you're moving bait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zlucyz1)
    My college experience was quite positive compared to jonathons. Because a college is much bigger than a school its a lot easier to keep yourself to yourself, which I liked as I just had a select few friends. Don't worry too much about getting bullied, in my experience people will keep to themselves unless you're moving bait.
    Oh ok thankyou very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie grainger)
    I’m going to be 15 in 3 months and I’m due to be starting college next month to do basic English, maths and science as I dropped out of school. Can anyone tell me what it’s like in college as a 14-15 year old?
    Are you sure this is allowed? When I was 14, I started going to the local sixth form to do maths (this was in conjunction with regular school), and because of various laws and me being under 16, I needed an adult with me at all times.

Your experience will depend on where you're going, but generally it's more relaxed. You have the freedom to leave college during free/study periods. Just be aware that there is often an assumption that you are self-motivated and want to do well - this doesn't always work out for everyone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    Are you sure this is allowed? When I was 14, I started going to the local sixth form to do maths (this was in conjunction with regular school), and because of various laws and me being under 16, I needed an adult with me at all times.

Your experience will depend on where you're going, but generally it's more relaxed. You have the freedom to leave college during free/study periods. Just be aware that there is often an assumption that you are self-motivated and want to do well - this doesn't always work out for everyone...
    Yeah I have sorted everything out with the college you can go there from the age of 14 and yeah I am self motivated because I have tutored myself for a year while I’ve been out of school, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    How did it go? I'm joining college and I'm 15 too but I'm incredibly nervous because I had a bad experience with school and have anxiety... What's it like there? What was your first day like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duhmolly)
    How did it go? I'm joining college and I'm 15 too but I'm incredibly nervous because I had a bad experience with school and have anxiety... What's it like there? What was your first day like?
    I haven’t gone yet because the college hasn’t set a proper date but I will let you know when I do

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently 15 and been in collage since September it’s so good it’s inspire program so much lee way

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.