Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently completing a second degree in Health Sciences, for which I received student finance. As it is a STEM subject I was eligible for the finance (ordinarily not available for a second degree). My intention is to progress to graduate entry medicine but I have just had a mad panic that the very fact I am receiving the loan for my second degree will render me ineligible for the tuition fee loan for medicine.

The SFE website isn’t all that clear so I’m hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this for me?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Kate
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kate0601)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently completing a second degree in Health Sciences, for which I received student finance. As it is a STEM subject I was eligible for the finance (ordinarily not available for a second degree). My intention is to progress to graduate entry medicine but I have just had a mad panic that the very fact I am receiving the loan for my second degree will render me ineligible for the tuition fee loan for medicine.

The SFE website isn’t all that clear so I’m hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this for me?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Kate

Hi Kate,

Can I ask will you be studying on a Full Time Graduate Entry medicine course?

Secondly, is it a four or five year duration?

Finally when does the course start?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Thank you for your response.

It is a 4 year full time course, which starts in September 2019.

Best wishes

Kate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Kate,

Can I ask will you be studying on a Full Time Graduate Entry medicine course?

Secondly, is it a four or five year duration?

Finally when does the course start?

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona, Thank you for your response. It is a 4 year full time course, which starts in September 2019. Best wishes Kate
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona, Thank you for your response. It is a 4 year full time course, which starts in September 2019. Best wishes Kate

Hi Kate,

You will be pleased to know that we currently will disregard any previous study a student has previously had before starting their Graduate Entry Medicine/Dental course.

As you are not looking to start until 2019 I can only advise you on the current support available.

Tuition Fee SupportCurrently universities and colleges (HEP) can charge tuition fees of up to £9,250. This change can affect both new and continuing students. Year 1 – The student will have to self fund the first £3465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder up to £5,785. If the student wishes to borrow a tuition fee loan, please advise them to indicate amount of loan they wish to borrow in the Loan Request Form. Year 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535. Maintenance Support Year 1 – The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant. Year 2-4 – The student is eligible to apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to Student Finance England for a reduced rate Maintenance Loan.Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Kate,

You will be pleased to know that we currently will disregard any previous study a student has previously had before starting their Graduate Entry Medicine/Dental course.

As you are not looking to start until 2019 I can only advise you on the current support available.

Tuition Fee SupportCurrently universities and colleges (HEP) can charge tuition fees of up to £9,250. This change can affect both new and continuing students. Year 1 – The student will have to self fund the first £3465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder up to £5,785. If the student wishes to borrow a tuition fee loan, please advise them to indicate amount of loan they wish to borrow in the Loan Request Form. Year 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535. Maintenance Support Year 1 – The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant. Year 2-4 – The student is eligible to apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to Student Finance England for a reduced rate Maintenance Loan.Regards Rona
    Hi Rona,

That is fantastic to hear!

Thank you so much for your prompt and informative response!

Best wishes

Kate
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona,

That is fantastic to hear!

Thank you so much for your prompt and informative response!

Best wishes

Kate
    Hi Kate,

You are very welcome,

Thanks Rona

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.