Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 18.

When I was 16 I took my GCSEs but failed every single one of them getting mostly Us and 1 D, E, F.
    Even though I failed I was taken on at college but because I failed to meet entry requirements for a level 1 course they put me and some others into a new course names entry level 3 animal care where we studied the basics and functional skills entry level 3 English and maths, I passed the course but couldn't progress for reasons I'll explain later. After I left I took a few months out, got a Christmas temp job, got a dog walking job, left the Christmas temp and went back into college to study level 1 functional skills English and maths. This time I'm at an apprenticeship college so once I have passed I will speak to some tutors and they will help me get an apprenticeship, hopefully in animal care as I have for a very long time dreamt about getting into the animal industry full time, I am doing dog walking now but I want more work, I'm just worried I won't ever get the chance to work with these animals and end up in a job I hate that's low pay because I lack basic qualifications. Entry level 3 isn't worth much.

I failed because of severe anxiety, depression and low iron, now I'm taking care of low iron my depression is disappearing along with anxiety but it does show up in things like exams, I had to do a presentation and my anxiety went through the roof, I couldn't do my best, I don't know if I passed. Overall my mental health is better than it ever was but the stress of my future is getting to me. Statistics show a lot of people with poor GCSE results end up on benefits or low pay and struggle to get jobs. I don't want to be that person. It also shows not very many people do pass the resits. I have no idea where to go or what to do if I don't get an apprenticeship.

I do have an idea, to do a pre access course, access course then maybe even a degree. All of that takes 5 years and I would be 18 when starting pre access, the time doesn't bother me, I just want decent qualifications. I have a whole year to revise, educate myself more to make sure I pass and sort out my mental health a bit more.

The problem is I compare my life to my siblings, top GCSE results, top A levels, masters degree, good paying job they got using that degree. We come from the same working family and yet my life is never going to be as good as theirs. I'm facing a lifetime of low paying jobs that I will more than likely hate, they have everything I want and will probably never have.

What exactly do I do? I know there are success stories from people going from no GCSEs to a degree but what if I can't do that...

ReputationRep:
    Your current education level doesn't have to define your future. As you've already said, you have an idea for getting where you want to be, so definitely give it a go. Your siblings having 'top grades' does not at all mean they'll have a life in a career they've always dreamt of. The job may well be very well paid, but you already know what you want to do, and I assume they're not working with animals as you didn't mention it, so your situations are not really comparable. Focus on you, and getting yourself where you want to be. Anyone worth keeping around won't be comparing you to your siblings.

In terms of whether or not you'll get a degree, you won't know unless you try. And please remember a degree isn't the only route to the sorts of jobs you're interested in. Best of luck with your qualifications, you seem very proactive in going for your goals and that will definitely help you to achieve them!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.