Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an acceptance for Law from Royal Holloway and University of Aberdeen? What university should I choose ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Izzy_baj12)
    I got an acceptance for Law from Royal Holloway and University of Aberdeen? What university should I choose ?
    Hi Izzy_baj12,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!

I understand that it's a difficult decision to make so I would recommend visiting both universities if you haven't already. You'll be able to speak with academics, current students and view all the facilities that you'll be using for the next few years.

If you have any questions about the Law department at Royal Holloway, you can speak to Mandeep and Ilona, who are current students, on our website. They'd be more than happy to discuss how they've found their courses and Mandeep has written a blog about her summer placement. You can start a conversation and read the blog post here.

I'm a recent graduate from Royal Holloway, so if you have any questions for me I'd be happy to answer.

Susana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hi Izzy_baj12,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!

I understand that it's a difficult decision to make so I would recommend visiting both universities if you haven't already. You'll be able to speak with academics, current students and view all the facilities that you'll be using for the next few years.

If you have any questions about the Law department at Royal Holloway, you can speak to Mandeep and Ilona, who are current students, on our website. They'd be more than happy to discuss how they've found their courses and Mandeep has written a blog about her summer placement. You can start a conversation and read the blog post here.

I'm a recent graduate from Royal Holloway, so if you have any questions for me I'd be happy to answer.

Susana

Hi Susana,

It’s just that, for Law it’s really competitive. A lot of lawyers, don’t even get a training contract after graduating. I’ve heard that if you go to a reputable university. You’re more likely to get a training contract. How far is this true ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Susana,

It’s just that, for Law it’s really competitive. A lot of lawyers, don’t even get a training contract after graduating. I’ve heard that if you go to a reputable university. You’re more likely to get a training contract. How far is this true ?
    Hi Izzy_baj12,

At Royal Holloway, our Law programme offers a lot of extra-curricular activities that will allow you to build professional networks and employability skills. Many of our current students have been involved in legal placements and have training contracts lined up.

Some of the extra-curricular activities offered by the School of Law are mooting, where our final was in the UK Supreme Court last April judged by Lord Carnwath of the UK Supreme Court and this year's final will be judged by a former senior Old Baily judge; client interviewing, which saw two current students come first and second in a Surrey Law Society Competition; and negotiation where one team recently got to the final of the National Negotiation Competition.

Royal Holloway is a part of the University of London, so you'll also have access to the Senate House Library in London that you'll be able to use throughout your degree.

As the LLB at Royal Holloway is one of our newer courses, we're excited that our first cohort is set to graduate this summer.

Susana

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing Year 2 at Aberdeen for Scots Law. I'll do three things in my comment, first, give you some considerations about law at both options- namely likely curriculum differences. Second, my reasons for choosing Aberdeen. Three, my view on your question about the correlation between reputation and employment prospect.

First, RHUL law will effectively be English law, enabling you to qualify in England & Wales. Whereas Aberdeen will offer you the ability to choose only Scots Law or a joint with English Law. Thus opening the chance to qualify in both jurisdictions. Whilst I'm sure RHUL is an up-and-coming law department, the department's module offering is limited for now compared to Aberdeen- especially given that RHUL law is 3 years old. Although that may confer its own positive differences.

Your networking community will differ a little, with RHUL being a 30-mins light rail ride to London. Whilst Aberdeen finds itself embedded in the Scottish legal profession ( though with a lot of London-based alumni).

Second are my own reasons for having chosen Aberdeen:

(1) AU have a dedicated law library. This is one of only three departmental libraries in AU aside from Divinity and Medicine. It really does foster a sense of camaraderie between us lawbies & faculty.

(2) AU mooting is definitely entertaining and hone one's analytical skills. AU frequently takes top honours in both Scottish and RUK competitions.

(3) Outside of classes, the School has a really good relationship with the profession. The annual Rodger lecture in 2016 (my first year) featured Lord Reed (a Scottish judge) in that summer. The Society of Advocates here in Aberdeen provides abundant support to the School.

(4) Casus Omissus or Aberdeen law project is effectively our alternative to a legal advice clinic, is very good too. Those who get involved in it really shows maturity afterwards. The project is partly supported by our relationship with AU alumni such as Lady Dorrian or Lord Woolman, both being Court of Session judges.

(5) Our lecturers are very knowledgeable and for me, given many's Scots law background, allows for a better discussion of circumstances where English law diverges. Also, our law module selection- which can be viewed by searching ' Aberdeen university law course catalogue'- is extremely diverse.

(6) Our seminars are cosy, I find for all my modules so far- even in first year, rarely exceeds 10.

Third, as far as I'm aware, the only strong correlation towards a training contract is your degree grades. In my legal working experience around Scotland, lawyers I've met have only said that they would consider alumni from any Scottish universities with a high degree classification. Although the lawyers up here whom I saw typically went to the big five ( Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee & Strathclyde).

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.