Turn on thread page Beta

Salisbury Attack - World Cup Boycott watch

ReputationRep:
    Should Britain lobby our European allies to pull out of the Russian World Cup?

We know that the Russians got the World Cup through 'questionable' means in the first place, and now it is emerging that Russia was behind the attack. Can we really send the top football starts of Europe to go. God forbid if Germany or (unlikely) England win the World Cup. Are we going to watch as our European allies shake the hand of President Putin if they win. Imagine the pictures of that.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Let us close down RT today first (the Russian tv channel you can get on Freeview).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommy1boy)

Should Britain lobby our European allies to pull out of the Russian World Cup?

We know that the Russians got the World Cup through 'questionable' means in the first place, and now it is emerging that Russia was behind the attack. Can we really send the top football starts of Europe to go. God forbid if Germany or (unlikely) England win the World Cup. Are we going to watch as our European allies shake the hand of President Putin if they win. Imagine the pictures of that.

Thoughts?
    Not the world cup! I'm sure the Russians are dreading the possibility of Britain not taking part in an event that's meant to be apolitical. The response should be stronger than talking about footie.

ReputationRep:
    Keep politics out of sport.

ReputationRep:
    These people committed treason and we're supposed to feel sorry for them why?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by bars from mars)
    These people committed treason and we're supposed to feel sorry for them why?
    The daughter and the policeman are innocent?
    You think it is ok for a foreign power to come and carry out a chemical attack in the UK?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It wont make any difference and would be unpopular if they prevented the England team going. I think they will go. The public wouldnt be in gavour.

Had the attack killed more UK citizens, then I think they would understand that.

The UK alone withdrawing wouldnt make much difference, bit if all the Europeans followed suit, then they would notice.
    Not going to happen for this event.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see it making a huge diffrence and generally should try leave sporting events to be sporting events instaed of making them politcal

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, yeah right , just prevent the British public from enjoying their favourite sport, that'll show em! LMAO (add sarcasm icon here)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we'll take such a principled stance over the Qatari world c...oh wait

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.