Salisbury Attack - World Cup Boycott Watch

username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Should Britain lobby our European allies to pull out of the Russian World Cup?

We know that the Russians got the World Cup through 'questionable' means in the first place, and now it is emerging that Russia was behind the attack. Can we really send the top football starts of Europe to go. God forbid if Germany or (unlikely) England win the World Cup. Are we going to watch as our European allies shake the hand of President Putin if they win. Imagine the pictures of that.

Thoughts?
username2965904
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let us close down RT today first (the Russian tv channel you can get on Freeview).
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tommy1boy)

Should Britain lobby our European allies to pull out of the Russian World Cup?

We know that the Russians got the World Cup through 'questionable' means in the first place, and now it is emerging that Russia was behind the attack. Can we really send the top football starts of Europe to go. God forbid if Germany or (unlikely) England win the World Cup. Are we going to watch as our European allies shake the hand of President Putin if they win. Imagine the pictures of that.

Thoughts?
Not the world cup! I'm sure the Russians are dreading the possibility of Britain not taking part in an event that's meant to be apolitical. The response should be stronger than talking about footie.
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Keep politics out of sport.
username3842822
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These people committed treason and we're supposed to feel sorry for them why?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bars from mars)
These people committed treason and we're supposed to feel sorry for them why?
The daughter and the policeman are innocent?
You think it is ok for a foreign power to come and carry out a chemical attack in the UK?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
It wont make any difference and would be unpopular if they prevented the England team going. I think they will go. The public wouldnt be in gavour.

Had the attack killed more UK citizens, then I think they would understand that.

The UK alone withdrawing wouldnt make much difference, bit if all the Europeans followed suit, then they would notice.
Not going to happen for this event.
TheBomber09
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't see it making a huge diffrence and generally should try leave sporting events to be sporting events instaed of making them politcal
So-Sarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hmmm, yeah right , just prevent the British public from enjoying their favourite sport, that'll show em! LMAO (add sarcasm icon here)
username3842822
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sure we'll take such a principled stance over the Qatari world c...oh wait
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (182)
61.9%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.08%
No- I want it (78)
26.53%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.48%

Watched Threads