Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is the formula of acceleration?

ReputationRep:
    I assume this is for a relatively basic level?
    If so then: acceleration = velocity/ time
    (as acceleration is the rate of change of velocity).

For a more advanced level (i.e. very high end GCSE (maybe?)/basic A level):
    acceleration is the differential of velocity (dV
    v/dt) OR the second derivative of displacement (d2s/dt2)
    That second part will only apply if you understand basic differentiation though.

Hope that helps! (also remember that for factual things like this Google is most definitely your friend!).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BDE)
    I assume this is for a relatively basic level?
    If so then: acceleration = velocity/ time
    (as acceleration is an indicator of the rate of change of velocity).

For a more advanced level (i.e. very high end GCSE (maybe?)/basic A level):
    acceleration is the differential of velocity (dV/dx) OR the second derivative of displacement (d^2S/dx)
    That second part will only apply if you understand basic differentiation though.

Hope that helps! (also remember that for factual things like this Google is most definitely your friend!).

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity by definition. I would not suggest saying it is an indicator of the rate of change of velocity.

In fact, acceleration is the derivative of velocity with respect to time (dv/dt not dv/ds) or second derivative of displacement with respect to time (d2s/dt2 not d2s/dx2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity by definition. I would not suggest saying it is an indicator of the rate of change of velocity.

In fact, acceleration is the derivative of velocity with respect to time (dv/dt not dv/ds) or second derivative of displacement with respect to time (d2s/dt2 not d2s/dx2).
    Of couse, you are absolutely correct. In all honesty this response was a little rushed as I was composing it on the bus which was quickly approaching my stop and so did not have time to proof read.
    Kudos to you. I'll edit to recitify

(although, in my credit often you will get equations for displacement, velocity and acceleration in terms of x rather than y - presumably what lead me to write it that way, though nonetheless that is no excuse for shoddy formulae)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craky)
    What is the formula of acceleration?
    Or use Newton's second law.

a = F/m

ReputationRep:
    I've not heard of this 'Phisics'???

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.