Turn on thread page Beta

Is 38 too old for an apprentiship watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 38 and have applied for an apprentice position in the NHS in bioengineering as a healthcare science assistant and will be doing a Level 2 course in healthcare sciences if I get the position.
    I have worked in a lab for about 15 years so hope that this will be beneficial to me but am worried that I am too old for an apprentice position that could be geared to school and college leavers. I'm not too worried about what friends think although I may just say that it is a "trainee" post so won't get too many jokes hopefully!
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jude1812)
    I am 38 and have applied for an apprentice position in the NHS in bioengineering as a healthcare science assistant and will be doing a Level 2 course in healthcare sciences if I get the position.
    I have worked in a lab for about 15 years so hope that this will be beneficial to me but am worried that I am too old for an apprentice position that could be geared to school and college leavers. I'm not too worried about what friends think although I may just say that it is a "trainee" post so won't get too many jokes hopefully!
    Thanks
    Honestly, I would say that you would need to contact the course provider via email or telephone to discuss your situaton.

I know that a lot of apprentiships have a cutoff of 24 years and having degrees (Bachelor, Master, PHD) makes you ineligible.

But yeh, best of luck (also I am flagging your post to mods as this post desrves to be in education section)

ReputationRep:
    There won’t be an age issue - funding is no longer restricted to age groups as it once was.

However as the poster above suggests, if you already have a qualification that is of the same or higher level than the apprenticeship offered (eg you have a related science degree and this is only a level 2 apprenticeship), there will be no rationale to bring you on the apprenticeship as you are over qualified.

Level 2 is pretty basic so if they see anything on your CV that suggest you have been working at a much higher level then that too could be an issue. If you have 15 years lab experience, I suspect this could be the case.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Jude1812)
    Thanks
    Hi there,

There is NO upper age limit on apprenticeships and it is down to the discretion of the employer as to the age range they wish to employ.

When it comes down to training and qualifications an apprentice shouldn't be expected to pay for this and this should be covered by the employer and any Government funding.

A recent change in policy came into effect regarding apprenticeships which meant that regardless of the level of qualification you have currently, if you are going into an apprenticeship as a career change (in a new career sector that isn't related) the funding would be made available.

With the apprenticeship Levy coming into effect which means that large organisation must use a percentage of their income to train apprentices there are more opportunities for adults to start an apprenticeship.

What you must be aware of is in your first year of the apprenticeship by law the employer can pay you a minimum of £3.70 an hour (as of the 1st of April 2018). When you go into the second year the minimum they must pay you is National Minimum Wage.

I hope this helps, if you would like to talk about this further we are available to support on TSR or you can call us on 0800 100 900 or chat to us online.

Thanks - Sophie.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.