Turn on thread page Beta

My girlfriend can’t accept that I have a past... watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been dating my girlfriend for about 6 months now and it’s been great. We’ve had our ups and downs and have our issues. A big issue has been lying on my part. But that was months ago and I am far from being that guy that I was. Over the past 2 months she has been very jealous about my past relationships. I’ve told her countless amount of times that they don’t mean anything to me anymore and they are just, well, in the past which is something both of us cannot change. It’s almost as if she doesn’t care if she has a past, she’s just focused on my past relationships. She also accuses me of lying about certain things about my past relationships. For example, I have never reached the point of ejaculation with any of my exes and never really enjoyed having intercourse with them. My current girlfriend is so much different and better in every way from my exes and she just can’t accept that.. she thinks she’s just going to be another girl that I feel “obligated” to live and be with. I do not know how to deal with this or help her with her insecurity of me having a past and I do not know what to do or how to handle her false accusations towards things she has no idea on if it happened or not, the only thing she knows is what I tell her which is the truth. But it’s like never enough for her and this is beginning to be an everyday thing and I don’t know what to do....
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hey OP,

Sorry to hear about this this sounds like a really difficult situation and it must hurt when she accuses you of lying about your past out of jealousy or insecurity. Have you tried to talk to her quite plainly about this all (i.e. sitting down together and getting everything out into the open, working through it pragmatically)? It might be a big help and could reassure her. Whilst sometimes people that have been damaged in previous relationships can feel insecure, it's important to make sure that this insecurity doesn't fester and become overbearing or manifest into jealousy or potentially something even worse.

I think this thread would be better in the Relationships forum, so I've moved it there for you.

Good luck OP!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Arpoikadot)
    I have been dating my girlfriend for about 6 months now and it’s been great. We’ve had our ups and downs and have our issues. A big issue has been lying on my part. But that was months ago and I am far from being that guy that I was. Over the past 2 months she has been very jealous about my past relationships. I’ve told her countless amount of times that they don’t mean anything to me anymore and they are just, well, in the past which is something both of us cannot change. It’s almost as if she doesn’t care if she has a past, she’s just focused on my past relationships. She also accuses me of lying about certain things about my past relationships. For example, I have never reached the point of ejaculation with any of my exes and never really enjoyed having intercourse with them. My current girlfriend is so much different and better in every way from my exes and she just can’t accept that.. she thinks she’s just going to be another girl that I feel “obligated” to live and be with. I do not know how to deal with this or help her with her insecurity of me having a past and I do not know what to do or how to handle her false accusations towards things she has no idea on if it happened or not, the only thing she knows is what I tell her which is the truth. But it’s like never enough for her and this is beginning to be an everyday thing and I don’t know what to do....
    I would tell her she's being a bit ridiculous. Everyone has a past and that's exactly what it is, a past. If she has exes, then say it to her that you're not bothered about hers, so why should she be bothered about yours. Tell her she needs to realise that what she's doing is damaging the relationship. She might not realise it, but it probably needs to be said. I thought of something Kevin said in HIMYM - "just because something needs to be told, doesn't mean it needs to be heard". In your case, it's the opposite. You need to tell her this, even though she doesn't want to hear it. She could react badly, but tbh if she does it just shows she isn't very good for you, or, she could react well and realise what she's doing and change.

ReputationRep:
    What did you lie about months ago? Sounds like it's caused some insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    I lied about things from my past, such as one of my friends being someone I went on a date with and thought I had feelings for at one point in time ( I was also young and immature at the time and just new to “dating”) but since then I have not lied about anything and everything is out on the table

ReputationRep:
    I guess I don't blame her cos you did lie n maybe she has trust issues, be gentle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.