The Student Room Group

LSE Economics vs UCL Economics

I've got offer from both LSE and UCL in economics. The conditions are similar (I'm taking IB, LSE requires 38 HL766 and UCL, 39 HL766, both requiring a 7 in maths HL). From other threads it seems UCL has a better social life while LSE can give a better prospect in UK (and LSE vs UCL seems to be a struggle to many lol). But the thing is I'm an international student and I might not be staying in UK after I graduate, so is the difference between an LSE degree and a UCL one huge international-wise?I somehow prefer UCL, but it's really difficult to tell myself to give up LSE.Another question: people are saying that LSE costs more, but shouldn't it be similar?
just do LSE.. LSE Economics is the cream of econ degrees. social life is what you make of it
LSE gave you a lower offer and is more respected. I don't get why you're even considering UCL, especially considering they are both London based and you won't know what the uni is like until you go. LSE vs UCL is only a competition outside of Economics, but Economics is literally LSE's best degree at the best uni to do it in outside of Oxbridge.

tl;dr LSE
Original post by Appleorpear
LSE gave you a lower offer and is more respected. I don't get why you're even considering UCL, especially considering they are both London based and you won't know what the uni is like until you go. LSE vs UCL is only a competition outside of Economics, but Economics is literally LSE's best degree at the best uni to do it in outside of Oxbridge.

tl;dr LSE

Really? THEN how it is that both Warwick and UCL are ranked higher than LSE for economics?
Original post by phoenix4
Really? THEN how it is that both Warwick and UCL are ranked higher than LSE for economics?

League table rankings are just...beyond meaningless. The top 5 exchange places every year, and that's because they're all so close to each other that trying to differentiate between them in general metrics is impossible. However, LSE has an extremely well regarded global "brand", whereas UCL isn't as well known widely.

The courses are somewhat different in "flavour" as well, with from what I can tell the LSE course favouring mathematical/theoretical foundations, while the UCL course seems a bit more applied/policy oriented. It would probably be better to choose the one which has the options and research areas of interest (the latter for dissertation/thesis purposes).

Social life is going to be largely comparable because you can more or less engage in the social life of the one while going to the other, since they're as close to being next door without physically being next to each other as you're gonna get.
Reply 5
Which one did you choose? Would love to know coz am also an international applicant and visiting both is not an option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending