Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my parents about this last year before my GCSE's and they said I do not have to fast on the exams days. I fasted on weekends and days with no exams, not eating or drinking can effect your focus.

ReputationRep:
    gcse don't matter I could do them pissed

ReputationRep:
    This is for last year, but the content is essentially correct for this year (with small differences for dates)

https://www.ascl.org.uk/download.B28...7D2850F79.html

If you don't know who the ASCL is, or don't trust my link, this is who they are:

"The Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) speaks on behalf of members and acts on behalf of children and young people.

ASCL is Britain's leading professional body representing over 18,500 school and college leaders in all phases across the UK."

ReputationRep:
    Only Allah can help you get good grades so it is better to fast. If you feel extremely bad, like you're going to faint then you could break it but at least try. Seek guidance from Allah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idkthename)
    As you guys may know ramadan is basically starting on the same day gcse exam start this year, and idk what im going to do!
    Is it fine to miss fasting under these circumstances because my friends were saying i would probably get better results if i was fasting (?) . What are other muslims in this chat going to do i need to know otherwise i will have no idea
    I'm going to fast

ReputationRep:
    gcse are piss easy

ReputationRep:
    Don't fast, seriously. Not worth the risk, God will understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dietcocaine)
    Don't fast, seriously. Not worth the risk, God will understand
    Are you muslim

ReputationRep:
    As you guys may know ramadan is basically starting on the same day gcse exam start this year, and idk what im going to do!
    Is it fine to miss fasting under these circumstances because my friends were saying i would probably get better results if i was fasting (?) . What are other muslims in this chat going to do i need to know otherwise i will have no idea
    In my opinion, I would choose not to fast during the exams, as you need the energy and nutrition to get good grades that will be with you your entire life. I am atheist personally (and a Year 11 student) , but I know someone who is Muslim. Because this is a very important event, he has decided to do it, but at a different time. Although it's not the proper time for doing it, he is still doing because it is important to him and this way allows him to be energized and ready for his exams.

I hope that this helps you.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, fast.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask non muslims for advice on this. They are immature at best and ignorant at worst.

Eat lots at suhoor and iftar. You'll be fine. I've lost count of how many exams I've done on no sleep. No food > No sleep

ReputationRep:
    Last year around 3/4 of my GCSEs were during Ramadan, and I fasted through them. I'm not going to lie to you-it was extremely tiring because my Bangladeshi family didn't understand I needed 7 hours sleep, and kept waking me up unnecessarily early. But I do think the fasting helped me in the way that God had my back, a little more than normal.

ReputationRep:
    Are you muslim
    Yes

Just because all these random people are bragging about how easy it was for them and believe they did well because they had God on their side, that’s a really bad and unreliable basis for you to assess your own needs and limits. If you’re concerned about fasting affecting your exams, don’t fast, and if it really bothers you that much, make up the fasts afterwards

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i guess you're right, how did you do in the a levels if you dont mind me asking?

Majority of my intense version of revision was done before Ramadan had started. Then i did a few past papers based on every exam that was coming and some lazy revision (looking at my notes again whilst lying down). You should definitely make time for naps as you're going to absolutely exhausted after coming back from an exam and never do all nighters- they never work and make you feel less focused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ultimateradman)
    Last year around 3/4 of my GCSEs were during Ramadan, and I fasted through them. I'm not going to lie to you-it was extremely tiring because my Bangladeshi family didn't understand I needed 7 hours sleep, and kept waking me up unnecessarily early. But I do think the fasting helped me in the way that God had my back, a little more than normal.
    Did you do better than expected in those gcses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkypineapple)
    Majority of my intense version of revision was done before Ramadan had started. Then i did a few past papers based on every exam that was coming and some lazy revision (looking at my notes again whilst lying down). You should definitely make time for naps as you're going to absolutely exhausted after coming back from an exam and never do all nighters- they never work and make you feel less focused.
    I mean did you do well in the exam

ReputationRep:
    Did you do better than expected in those gcses
    I certainly did for a lot of subjects(got 8s fur English)

ReputationRep:
    I mean did you do well in the exam

Well i got BBB in bio, chem and maths- so i guess i did however, i'm retaking some units this summer so i guess i'm going to be fasting whilst doing exams again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ultimateradman)
    I certainly did for a lot of subjects(got 8s fur English)
    Fairplay... if you got 8 in english while fasting then hopefully i can too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkypineapple)
    Well i got BBB in bio, chem and maths- so i guess i did however, i'm retaking some units this summer so i guess i'm going to be fasting whilst doing exams again
    Ooh unlucky, i guess you're trying to get As this time round?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.