Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys,

I'm currently an FY1 in Scotland though I am planning on leaving the foundation programme prior to starting FY2. For a variety of reasons I've come to the conclusion that medicine as a career/profession doesn't really align with what I want from life and I'm thinking of training in Psychotherapy.

I'm wondering if I do this, will I be able to pick up locum shifts next year as an FY1/FY2 or is this not really a possibility? I've seen it mentioned in other posts but nothing seems to be conclusive.

Thanks for any help,

ReputationRep:
    I believe that you can take locum FY1 shifts once you are an FY2.

Why wouldn't you stick out F2 and then do Psychiatry training?

Psychotherapy is a psychiatric subspecialty after all, and psych training would hopefully be sufficiently different to 'normal' medicine that you'd tolerate it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When i was doing locums post-FY2 they really weren't fussy about my qualifications lol. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to pick up SHO shifts, if you felt competent enough.

I agree with the above in terms of waiting it out. Psych training is just one year away and is notoriously easy. You get fully educational days every week (my CT1 psych friend currently gets 2 educational days and one admin day per week for his community psych placement...), and you can choose to start focusing on psychotherapy relatively early i think. There are some on calls but they are nothing like on call medicine! At my old hospital you could reasonably expect to not have to leave the on call room (which has a bed) all night! It is also not very competitive, so could probably work at the site you want. It is difficult to see why you would not stick it out.

ReputationRep:
    You could easily pick up locum shifts as an FY1 but I would be more cautious about picking up FY2/SHO locums, especially in more acute specialities.

Often it’s the SHO that drives the take. The FY1 will be pulled away to do menial tasks and the reg can easily get tangled up in very sick patients. The SHO is therefore expected to see the bulk of patients and take referrals. It’s always very obvious when the SHO is very junior vs more experienced.

If it’s just a day job shift then it would probably be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.