Turn on thread page Beta

Should I end my bulking phase? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I think my problem might be diet... its hard to get 3300 calories without the temptation to have fast food or cookies. Which makes me feel bad psychologically or when I look in the mirror.

What are good foods?
    I like making omlette sandwiches
    Also Oatmeal
    Cashew nuts (but they expensive af)
    I have a lot of milk
    Protein shake

rest is usually fast food or beans if I cook myself
    I already discussed your diet in detail with you via PM a few months ago :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    I already discussed your diet in detail with you via PM a few months ago :lol:
    I forgot, lemme check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Was waiting for someone to say this. Apparently metabolism doesn’t exist either eh? You can’t deny some people struggle to put on weight, others gain fat too easily, etc.
    I meant apparently metabolism is independent of bone structure.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I forgot, lemme check
    Sure it was around xmas/new year time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Idk definitely not meso, I started off as "skinny-fat".

In terms of Macro my targets are 413 carbs, 110g fat, 165 protein. Tbh I dont hit my carbs,fats,protein targets because I thought calories were most important. I do end up getting around 120g protein
    Try to hit them. I’d say keep bulking for now but keep it clean. When you reach 100kg bench, 140kg squat and 180kg deadlift you can start a cut if you’d like. You’d then have built an intermediate foundation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by johnny.snow)
    I meant apparently metabolism is independent of bone structure.
    This, really. I believe in somatotypes when used in reference to bone structure, but susceptibility to fat gain is all hormonal. Thyroid output is a major component, as is testosterone:estrogen balance as well as growth hormone and insulin levels. Even beta-adrenergic hormones play a part. It's evidenced that you're not doomed to a specific somatotype when all these hormones can be chemically manipulated

ReputationRep:
    keep bulking and try to gain 1-2kg a month max anymore and it's too much fat

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest cut because soon you will be be motivated in the gym when you will think that you are fat and people are looking at you around the gym. It may put you off going to gym. It' good that you are getting stronger but you van gain strength just by being lower weight. I mean a lot of athlete have lower weight and can bench, squat and deadlift triple the amount you do so it is possible to gain strength whilst at lower weight. I am 65 kg and can squat 100, bench 90, deadlift 140 so you can definitely get stronger. Also, gaining muscle is very different to gain strength so don't think about it to muvh as long as you getting stronger and working at good reps and sets. Don't worry about people around you in gym especially teens who go insanely high like dumbell chest pressing 80 kg lol this guy aged 16 lofts this and puts me off so much lol
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Slow down the bulk. 2-300 calorie surplus rather than your 500+ cals
    The things you listed sound good. Diet is all about your macros though. You could also probably get away with a lot of junk food if you got a really fast metabolism. Are you an ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph?
    Was waiting for someone to say this. Apparently metabolism doesn’t exist either eh? You can’t deny some people struggle to put on weight, others gain fat too easily, etc.
    Your appetite is not an approximation of a somatotype. Somatotypes were debunked 20 odd years ago.

I'm not even touching woodys post, like bruh

ReputationRep:
    Sigh... I feel like an idiot.

Think I know why I gained 9kg in 3momths. The chocolate filled crossiants from Tesco were never on MyFitnessPal so I always plugged in info for regular crossiant

Today I got 2 Painauchocolate from Tesco which were on myfitnesspal each 1 is around 450cAlories and 50g carbs. So I think it was Tesco bakery

And I have a casual double chin.. I feel demotivated but still want strength gains
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I'm not even touching woodys post, like bruh
    I used to be of the school of thought that two men with the exact same body composition, height and activity levels would have exactly the same TDEE and therefore gain/lose fat and muscle in exactly the same way if their diet was equal, regardless of hormonal output. I now genuinely believe this to be hogwash. Seen, heard and experienced too much to believe such a thing.

Firstly, I moved gyms toward the end of 2017. Met a lot of big mofo's there, all on gear, some of them compete. Speaking to some of them about their pre-contest regimes, they all swear by crushing certain hormones to aid their quest to get lean. Namely, they take AIs to get their estrogen way down as they claim that the higher your testosterone in relation to your estrogen levels the less fat you tend to hold; and plenty of GH to stimulate lipolysis and also suppress their insulin output. There's also the beta-adrenergic drugs which also stimulate lipolysis, and the thyroid drugs to stabilise one's TDEE through weeks of dieting.

All sounds a bit brosciencey, but I started seeing an endocrinologist in the last few months to get on both test and GH replacement due to being deficient in both through Post Traumatic Hypopituitarism after a head injury in my teens. He's into his fitness and obviously very passionate about the matter of hormones, so I asked him about all these approaches and if they make sense, and responded that if those fellas at my gym took an endocrinology exam, they'd pass. I of course said that this is probably all on the extreme end of things and the difference in natural hormone levels in different individuals is likely not large enough to be significant in this sort of thing, and he wholeheartedly disagreed. He said that if it were up to him, he'd narrow down the "normal" ranges of all the hormones drastically as, as it stands, in the case of thyroid hormones, testosterone and estrogen, GH, adrenal hormones etc., the different between being low-normal and high-normal in these hormones is night and day, and he said I'd be surprised at just how many people don't realise they're at high and low ends or even out of range.

Also in my own experience, since starting on test and GH replacement in recent months, I'm losing fat and gaining muscle despite being in a surplus. The endo is adamant that hormones manipulate some kind of "set point" in bodyfat storage, and seeing that I was deficient in both hormones beforehand and estrogen-dominant due to the low testosterone levels, for a while I'll lose bodyfat regardless of diet due to that hormonal set point being altered. Rather interesting study regarding the role estrogen plays in the storage of fat in the abdomen which the endo showed me and I managed to dig up once I got home https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/89/4/1869/2844573

ReputationRep:
    Cut 10 lbs IMO. Bulking until you can bench 100 kg you will be morbidly obese and then have to cut for AGES to remedy it and lose tonnes of muscle 'cause you're cutting for so long. You can't "keep it clean" natty, you're definitely going to gain fat if you're in a surplus, so you'll just get even fatter and fatter than now. Even gaining fat weight increases bench press so yeah you could just get obese as **** until you can put up 100 easily. It's a bad idea though.

3300 calories is legit RIDICULOUS lmfao.

I believe you are meant to keep fat intake low (but at healthy minimum if you're natty, 0.45 g/lb I think it is) on bulk, and carbs low on cut. Apparently you can also cut well on a high carb diet with lots of resistant starches. And not eat carb sources (e.g. chocolate croissants) without protein. And tbh **** that sort of thing anyway because you need to keep your insulin sensitivity in check.

I use gear though so I mean who really knows if what I'm saying is legit? Most rules don't really apply to me so I am not clued up on the latest (e.g. safe cutting durations etc.).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    I used to be of the school of thought that two men with the exact same body composition, height and activity levels would have exactly the same TDEE and therefore gain/lose fat and muscle in exactly the same way if their diet was equal, regardless of hormonal output. I now genuinely believe this to be hogwash. Seen, heard and experienced too much to believe such a thing.

Firstly, I moved gyms toward the end of 2017. Met a lot of big mofo's there, all on gear, some of them compete. Speaking to some of them about their pre-contest regimes, they all swear by crushing certain hormones to aid their quest to get lean. Namely, they take AIs to get their estrogen way down as they claim that the higher your testosterone in relation to your estrogen levels the less fat you tend to hold; and plenty of GH to stimulate lipolysis and also suppress their insulin output. There's also the beta-adrenergic drugs which also stimulate lipolysis, and the thyroid drugs to stabilise one's TDEE through weeks of dieting.

All sounds a bit brosciencey, but I started seeing an endocrinologist in the last few months to get on both test and GH replacement due to being deficient in both through Post Traumatic Hypopituitarism after a head injury in my teens. He's into his fitness and obviously very passionate about the matter of hormones, so I asked him about all these approaches and if they make sense, and responded that if those fellas at my gym took an endocrinology exam, they'd pass. I of course said that this is probably all on the extreme end of things and the difference in natural hormone levels in different individuals is likely not large enough to be significant in this sort of thing, and he wholeheartedly disagreed. He said that if it were up to him, he'd narrow down the "normal" ranges of all the hormones drastically as, as it stands, in the case of thyroid hormones, testosterone and estrogen, GH, adrenal hormones etc., the different between being low-normal and high-normal in these hormones is night and day, and he said I'd be surprised at just how many people don't realise they're at high and low ends or even out of range.

Also in my own experience, since starting on test and GH replacement in recent months, I'm losing fat and gaining muscle despite being in a surplus. The endo is adamant that hormones manipulate some kind of "set point" in bodyfat storage, and seeing that I was deficient in both hormones beforehand and estrogen-dominant due to the low testosterone levels, for a while I'll lose bodyfat regardless of diet due to that hormonal set point being altered. Rather interesting study regarding the role estrogen plays in the storage of fat in the abdomen which the endo showed me and I managed to dig up once I got home https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/89/4/1869/2844573
    I agree that not everyone has the same identical TDEE, but most people are within a mars bar of one another given similar stats, muscle mass etc.

I don't particularly like discussing guys using gear as a set point. Going to 2-3 -> 10x the normal range of hormones will obviously have enormous changes to your bodys predispositions, there's the whole study on the 3 men. 1 sits on his arse and takes gear. The guy who lifts natty and the guy who lifts and takes gear and lifts. The guy who sits on his arse comes 2nd, the guy who trains natty is last and the guy who does both makes the biggest gains. Steroids utterly distort normal physiology and they utterly warp what is normal and possible. Go outside of normal ranges and weird things happen.
    I'm hypothyroid, me going below normal physiological level made me look and feel like crap. Now I'm back in the normal range I leaned up a bit (before I discovered peanut butter cookie dough... jesus christ dude, you need to make some, holy **** it is legit AF) and have some colour in my cheeks. Hormones are powerful stuff yo
    That said, yes oestrogen, testosterone etc effect people differently to some degree see male milk production in overweight teenagers cause estrofication of testosterone due to increased adipocytes etc) but to claim that fat gain is all hormonal... bruh, TDEE is still king

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RockyDennis)
    Cut 10 lbs IMO. Bulking until you can bench 100 kg you will be morbidly obese and then have to cut for AGES to remedy it and lose tonnes of muscle 'cause you're cutting for so long. You can't "keep it clean" natty, you're definitely going to gain fat if you're in a surplus, so you'll just get even fatter and fatter than now. Even gaining fat weight increases bench press so yeah you could just get obese as **** until you can put up 100 easily. It's a bad idea though.

3300 calories is legit RIDICULOUS lmfao.

I believe you are meant to keep fat intake low (but at healthy minimum if you're natty, 0.45 g/lb I think it is) on bulk, and carbs low on cut. Apparently you can also cut well on a high carb diet with lots of resistant starches. And not eat carb sources (e.g. chocolate croissants) without protein. And tbh **** that sort of thing anyway because you need to keep your insulin sensitivity in check.

I use gear though so I mean who really knows if what I'm saying is legit? Most rules don't really apply to me so I am not clued up on the latest (e.g. safe cutting durations etc.).
    Don't take any advice from here OP.

I too am on a lean bulk, but may I just say the amount of weight you gain does not correlate to your lifts.
    Why?
    Personally, when I gained 3kg my Squat 1RM ATG shot up to 130kg from 50kg in <2 months.

I'm still skinny asf, but I just eat anything and lift. Don't worry about cutting just yet.

Just Eat lift heavy, Eat lift heavy and repeat.
    Focus on the compound lifts and eat eggs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)

I too am on a lean bulk, but may I just say the amount of weight you gain does not correlate to your lifts.
    Why?
    Personally, when I gained 3kg my Squat 1RM ATG shot up to 130kg from 50kg in <2 months.

I'm still skinny asf, but I just eat anything and lift. Don't worry about cutting just yet.

I don’t know why my lift didn’t jump as much as it should have? You probs gained 3kg quality muscle. I gained 1kg muscle,4-5kg fat rest is water weight?

ReputationRep:
    Also accidentally ate 3700 today lol

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know why my lift didn’t jump as much as it should have? You probs gained 3kg quality muscle. I gained 1kg muscle,4-5kg fat rest is water weight?
    Your lift will only jump when you subject your body to a very heavy weight.
    So when i started squatting, I could only squat 50kg for my 1RM.
    The following week, I'd add an extra 10kg and squat that for at least 1-2 reps.

Every 2 weeks, I'd add an extra 10kg and attempt to squat that for at least 1 rep.
    Doing so makes 10kg less seem like a joke, so I'm able to bust out maybe 4 more reps.

They were noobie gains though and they have started to slow down although I'm not trying to lift heavy as my legs have grown alot faster than my upper body...(need to start benching alot more as I've just started at 60kg for the 5x5 routine).

ReputationRep:
    Your lift will only jump when you subject your body to a very heavy weight.
    So when i started squatting, I could only squat 50kg for my 1RM.
    The following week, I'd add an extra 10kg and squat that for at least 1-2 reps.

Every 2 weeks, I'd add an extra 10kg and attempt to squat that for at least 1 rep.
    Doing so makes 10kg less seem like a joke, so I'm able to bust out maybe 4 more reps.

They were noobie gains though and they have started to slow down although I'm not trying to lift heavy as my legs have grown alot faster than my upper body...(need to start benching alot more as I've just started at 60kg for the 5x5 routine).
    Ahhh I see never done 1rep max

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see never done 1rep max
    The only reason I did 1 rep max was to improve my lift. NEVER EVER let your form suffer just so you can REP more, if you can not do that weight with perfect/good form then it is not your 1 rep max.

I've seen alot of people "bench press" 100kg as their 1RM whilst moving literally 2 inches.

ReputationRep:

Why?

Yes keep eating if you want and be 50 lbs overweight so you can bench 100 KG, then spend nearly a year trying to cut and lose a bunch of strength and muscle.

Hardgainers always advocating these pathetic 5,000 calorie per day diets. Then normal people try it and get morbidly obese then have to spend like a year trying to cut the 50 lbs of fat they put on from drinking gallons of milk and Big Macs every day.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.