Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 8 and I have the rest of this week to choose my GCSE options. I am indecisive between History or Geography. I honestly dislike both.

For Geography most of my friends are telling me to do it because its easier however I'm not sure about that. I have seen other peoples Student Room posts about this and everyone had mixed opinions but it did make me feel like I want to choose Geography as people do say its easier however people are also saying History is easier!! My brother is in Year 13 and he has Geography text books which I can use and I can also ask him for help. Geography is very mathematical and scientific and I am very bad at maths yet ok at science so will this affect me if I choose geography. I also know that geography helps me for science as this has happened recently. Geography is more interpreting data which I might be better at.

For History I have a horrible memory and history is mostly about remembering dates and events. In my opinion I think History will be easier but it is a lot of writing which I dislike highly. I get better grades in history however I just think my geography teacher is stricter. There are more factors for history yet I dont remember them, I told you I have a bad memory.

Anyways any advice possible would be great and also writing back as soon as possible would be amazing. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Dont take geography i was a grade 7 student before GCSE but when you take it at GCSE it is completely different to before it and it changes so much that now im aiming for a 5. It is not worth taking it and if you dont like it now then trust me it gets so much more boring. I havent done history but i hear it is much better than geography and now everyone in my school is failing geography because of the new changes. Totally up to you though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobTGF)
    Dont take geography i was a grade 7 student before GCSE but when you take it at GCSE it is completely different to before it and it changes so much that now im aiming for a 5. It is not worth taking it and if you dont like it now then trust me it gets so much more boring. I havent done history but i hear it is much better than geography and now everyone in my school is failing geography because of the new changes. Totally up to you though.
    thank you so much for the advice i will take that into consideration!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Geography is more process-based. Both subjects are quite content heavy but if you really dislike rote-memorisation, Geography may be better. I think you may need to re-evaluate your "I'm good at science but bad at maths" position in the future (contrary to the message you learn in school, you can't really do the former without the latter) but if you consider yourself more of a scientist, I'd go with geography.

ReputationRep:
    I take Geography and imo it is rather easy. Memorise a few case study details + some key facts = good grades. There's lots of content but not as much as History. I've been averaging a 7/8 for the past 3 years, so I'm not worrying about my upcoming exams. Also, dw about the science/maths thing; there's not much of that in it - tbh Geography is mostly common sense. It's not that boring either.

ReputationRep:
    I do both and I would recommend don't do History. There is a lot more work and memorizing. Geography contains quite a lot of common sense and less revision is needed for good grades. AQA geography also crosses over with AQA science for some small parts which also makes it a bit easier. And don't worry about the maths skills, it is simple maths.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Api00;76573698]I took both and bloody regreted history, loved geography and doing it now for a level. History is sooooo much work and so memorisation. However...that has helped me in the long run as cos I got used to a lot of work and heavy content from both of them particularly history it's helped the transition from gcse to a level as I'm aware of what hard work actually is as opposed to others who didn't take history. Pick what u enjoy cos ur sitting the exams not the other people. Geography is much more science and maths based which I hated when I got to a level as I thought I escaped it. But yh pick what u want b ur hard work will equal ur grades.

ReputationRep:
    Geography is great and all but don’t choose it for the trips. A friend of mine chose geography because everyone else was doing it and she wanted to go on trips. He wasn’t at all passionate about it but decided to do it because of the ‘crowd’. He failed and had to redo his history. My sis on the other hand did history and got an A. It’s completely your choice but I recommend history if you like learning about the past. Also they have many historical dramas and movies that they show you to teach which is usually great. The geography videos are mainly documentaries. Have fun choosing!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Personally I didn’t take either at GCSE but a close friend of mine took geography and my best friend did history. If you say you do not enjoy memorising or writing information then I wouldn’t recommend history as it is heavily essay based and there will be a lot of analysing passages etc. It seems to me that you are leaning towards geography! I think the fact that you have your older brother is a huge plus, and with the applied maths I wouldn’t worry too much... I was horrific at maths in year 8, however through applied maths in my science GCSE’s I grew slightly stronger and now I’m doing math A level! Moral of the story is that you shouldn’t base your decision with geography on maths skills as you’re still only young and have a long time to better these obviously I’m not a professional and I don’t know you personally so I can’t decide for you, I wish you the best of luck with your GCSE’s

ReputationRep:
    I did History for GCSE and got an A (lmao how idk) and am doing it right now for A-Levels, I think History A-Level is more open and welcoming to non History GCSE students since when applying for A-Levels, you can instead use your English Language grade (or other essay-based subjects) as to compensate for your lack of History GCSE grade whereas Geography is more closed and you need to have Geog for GCSE to do it for A-Levels.

Of course this depends on the Sixth Form/College you go to, some strict ones may require you to have History for GCSE as to filter their applicants. I'm an external student at an above average Secondary/Sixth Form combined and some people in my History A-Level class didn't even do History GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    In my honest opinion, I would choose geography. Not only do you go on trips(nah don't choose it only for the trips), you dont have to memorise anything. Like previous replies, its mostly common sense. You know who this is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idkcaits)
    Personally I didn’t take either at GCSE but a close friend of mine took geography and my best friend did history. If you say you do not enjoy memorising or writing information then I wouldn’t recommend history as it is heavily essay based and there will be a lot of analysing passages etc. It seems to me that you are leaning towards geography! I think the fact that you have your older brother is a huge plus, and with the applied maths I wouldn’t worry too much... I was horrific at maths in year 8, however through applied maths in my science GCSE’s I grew slightly stronger and now I’m doing math A level! Moral of the story is that you shouldn’t base your decision with geography on maths skills as you’re still only young and have a long time to better these obviously I’m not a professional and I don’t know you personally so I can’t decide for you, I wish you the best of luck with your GCSE’s
    Thank you! You were so helpful and honestly so sweet too. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    More advice please!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobTGF)
    Geography has less writing in the exams, and once you learn the content, there's actually A LOT of overlap, which makes answering questions second nature. I'm in Year 11, so I have the experience.

ReputationRep:
    I am taking history and even though parts of the course can be interesting, there is a lot of content to learn (such as Elizabethan England) which can be very boring. I don't take geography, but I assume that there is not as much content to learn compared to history. Also I believe the HT of 9-1 history only contains 4, 8, 12 and 16 markers so there is no multiple choice for easy marks in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and I take History. Neither History nor Geography is going to be easy subjects to take. However, from what I know if you're the type of person who likes subjects where there's one set answer (like maths, science etc) go for Geography. On the other hand, if you prefer subjects where as long as you can argue your point of view you can get good marks (like English) you'll prefer History. I love History because I actually find it interesting, don't take it if you have no interest in it otherwise you will hate doing it. History is really difficult so if you didn't enjoy or find it interesting during your past years, then you will most likely end up regretting taking it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I have changed my History option to Geography. My geography teacher also helped me with that decision so I am not doing it just because it might be easier.

ReputationRep:
    Take Geography..History is disgusting, deceitful and animalistic!!!! #GRADE 9 In Geography coming my way..oh...and possibly yours too...
    (Original post by veravera123)
    I am in Year 8 and I have the rest of this week to choose my GCSE options. I am indecisive between History or Geography. I honestly dislike both.

For Geography most of my friends are telling me to do it because its easier however I'm not sure about that. I have seen other peoples Student Room posts about this and everyone had mixed opinions but it did make me feel like I want to choose Geography as people do say its easier however people are also saying History is easier!! My brother is in Year 13 and he has Geography text books which I can use and I can also ask him for help. Geography is very mathematical and scientific and I am very bad at maths yet ok at science so will this affect me if I choose geography. I also know that geography helps me for science as this has happened recently. Geography is more interpreting data which I might be better at.

For History I have a horrible memory and history is mostly about remembering dates and events. In my opinion I think History will be easier but it is a lot of writing which I dislike highly. I get better grades in history however I just think my geography teacher is stricter. There are more factors for history yet I dont remember them, I told you I have a bad memory.

Anyways any advice possible would be great and also writing back as soon as possible would be amazing. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    i did both and everyone i know who has done both says the same thing. History is interesting but difficult and geography is easy but boring. I would say do geography as history is very heavy and the exams are alot harder
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by veravera123)

don't take a subject on the basis that you think it'll be easy or easier than the other- choose the one that you'll enjoy more. also, your teachers might change- never pick a subject based on your teachers! geography is not math or science heavy, though there's quite a few processes and stuff you'll need to remember. i do geography at gcse and really enjoy it

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.