Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone cut out added sugar? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been researching sugar and it's effects on the body as well as reviewing my own sugar intake (it's shocking, I think I am 90% sugar).

I was wondering if anyone has tried reducing the amount of added sugar in their diet and if so...

1) What foods did you lose and what did you substitute them with?

2) Did you crave sugar before and do you still crave it now?

3) Did you notice any changes in your body/energy levels/focus/anything else?

I have been cutting down for 5 days and so far I've been doing alright (apart from spending a fortune on fruit!). I noticed that I have had problematic skin for a long time and I hadn't had any new spots since starting this experiment but then yesterday lunchtime I caved and had a packet of sweets and by the evening I had a nice big spot starting to appear on my cheek. Could be a coincidence (5 days doesn't really seem long enough?) but I was wondering if anyone has experienced positive things from reducing their sugar intake

ReputationRep:
    I think my skin definitely looks worse when I eat a lot of sugar. I think it's been proven as well that rating too much sugar will negatively affect your skin. The daily limit for it is pretty low, even with hardly any added sugars, some say 20-30g. And I probably eat more than that, and I consciously try to limit my intake. I feel like I don't crave sugar that often, rather I crave carbs and salty stuff. I dislike fizzy drinks, they're way too sweet and taste of nothing basically.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I no longer feel compelled to have sugar in my tea or coffee, and it's been that way for at least a good few years now. I don't know precisely how much of an improvement this has had on my overall health, but I agree that making the effort to cut out sugar from your diet in any shape or form is most likely going to end up being a positive step to have made.

ReputationRep:
    I try to keep my processed sugar to a minimum and only allow myself a treat a few times a month. I check food labels and try to make sure there is as little sugar in my food as possible - the things to look out for are cereals (I usually only eat plain oats and shredded wheat - the vast majority of others have at least some sugar added to them), bread (I don't eat a lot of this), yoghurt (I only eat natural or Greek). I eat plenty of fruit though, although I do try to avoid having more than 3 portions a day.

It's only hard for the first few days, the cravings go away after 3-4 days max. For me, it's much easier to avoid sugar than to just cut it down. if I start eating sugar again and have it every day for about a weeks, I start having cravings (this only happens once or twice a year when I'm really stressed though).

With regards to changes to my body, I'm not really sure if I'm honest. I've been doing this for years so I can't remember how I felt when I was eating sugar regularly. I feel horrible psychologically though when I have the odd slip-ups for a week or two, but as I say, this is rarely a problem.

ReputationRep:
    If a single serving of a product contains more than two teaspoons of sugar, I will not buy it.
    I don't drink soft drinks or fruit juice. Nor do I add sugar to tea or coffee.

A lot of popular products are loaded with ridiculous amounts of sugar.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.